Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

B&H is my go to for a lot of electronics. Great service and typically great prices.

12-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Update: Data Vision Computer (New York, NY, DataVision - Consumer Electronics with Service and Integrity) no longer lists any Pentax products on their website. Previously, they at least had some Pentax products listed (but as 'out of stock'). Now, there are no results of any kind for Pentax (or Ricoh) products at all.

And on a recent visit to Hunts Photo Video in Melrose, MA, the Pentax display case was nearly empty - only a WG-50, DFA 50mm Macro and a 10-17mm fisheye zoom were on display. It looked like the leftovers case compared to the large and fully stocked Nikon, Canon, Sony and Fuji displays.

I suspect the number of authorized dealers in the US where one may walk in and purchase a current model Pentax camera in stock (K-1, KP, K-70) is probably around 12 at this point. Maybe just 10. I'd love to be proven wrong about that...
12-05-2018, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
What places in Northern Virginia have you done business with? I see Dominion Camera/Ace Photo seems to carry quite a lot of Pentax gear at mostly reasonable prices. Although I have to wonder why they have a K-7 listed at $1,099 and a K-200D at $569, while they have a K-3II listed at $849 and a KP at $896. Their lenses seem to be roughly 10-20% higher than B&H.

I'll be in that area this weekend and am in the market for a 55-300 PLM, but they don't have that listed at all.

Edit: The Ricoh/Pentax authorized dealer map only has Dominion/Ace listed within 100 miles of my place in Maryland. With the exception of a bunch of Best Buy stores that carry only the Theta.

Ace is a good store. I bought my 645z there, plus a couple of used lenses. Come to think of it, I bought my 645NII and 45-85 there 15 years ago. And my Canons, and the Redhead’s Nikons. And a couple of used 67 lenses. And tripods...cases...

Moe will always match New York prices.

Lots of rich geeks out here in Loudoun County. And Moe is himself a 645z user.

But the days when dealers drive the market are long gone. Moe can’t keep much Pentax stuff in stock—the geeks all want Nikon and Canon stuff, and they walk in the door with that decision already made.

Rick “camera shops make most of their money on accessories these days” Denney
12-06-2018, 01:50 AM   #19
Banned

So basicly 10 great stores for a 350 million people market......

Very different then overhere in Europe.

12-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Ace is a good store. I bought my 645z there, plus a couple of used lenses. Come to think of it, I bought my 645NII and 45-85 there 15 years ago. And my Canons, and the Redhead’s Nikons. And a couple of used 67 lenses. And tripods...cases...

Moe will always match New York prices.

Lots of rich geeks out here in Loudoun County. And Moe is himself a 645z user.

But the days when dealers drive the market are long gone. Moe can’t keep much Pentax stuff in stock—the geeks all want Nikon and Canon stuff, and they walk in the door with that decision already made.

Rick “camera shops make most of their money on accessories these days” Denney
It's nice to know there is a good shop in the general area, but it'll still be rare that I go there since it's roughly an hour and a half from my house. And that's if the beltway is being cooperative. That's the hurdle brick and mortar has to overcome for someone like me who's not in a big metro area. It's five minutes of clicking online, vice half a day burned in the car and $25 in gas and the screaming at the traffic at Tyson's corner and Waldorf.
12-06-2018, 07:20 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used Lensrentals.com [ located in Memphis, Tennessee ] in the past to rent Pentax lenses and other photography gear

always been very satisfied with them and their service

never bought from them though
12-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have used Lensrentals.com [ located in Memphis, Tennessee ] in the past to rent Pentax lenses and other photography gear

always been very satisfied with them and their service

never bought from them though
Are you sure about their location? I recently looked into renting and when I checked on pickup, the Tennessee location given was in the Nashville area.

12-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are you sure about their location? I recently looked into renting and when I checked on pickup, the Tennessee location given was in the Nashville area.
I thought that too but when I checked it came up Memphis

checking further, the mystery is solved:

About Us

Lensrentals is the largest online rental provider for photography, videography, and lighting equipment and accessories in the United States. Headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, with a satellite office in Nashville, Lensrentals ships gear to customers in all 50 states and also provides in-person pickups and returns to local customers.

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more
12-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I thought that too but when I checked it came up Memphis

checking further, the mystery is solved:

About Us

Lensrentals is the largest online rental provider for photography, videography, and lighting equipment and accessories in the United States. Headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, with a satellite office in Nashville, Lensrentals ships gear to customers in all 50 states and also provides in-person pickups and returns to local customers.

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more
Can you pick up equipment in Memphis? I assume the Nashville location is due to proximity to FedEx hub.
12-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you pick up equipment in Memphis? I assume the Nashville location is due to proximity to FedEx hub.

The FedEx “superhub” is actually in Memphis.

Rick “who has been there” Denney
12-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you might call and ask first

Contact Info
Our office is Open
The office and phones are staffed Monday through Friday, 8:30-5:00 CST. Email and IM are available after-hours and on weekends.
Phone
(901) 754-9100
Email
The best way to reach us, especially after hours.
support@lensrentals.com
Twitter
@LensRentals
Press & Marketing Inquiries
Please contact us at
marketing@lensrentals.com
Pickup Locations

Memphis Area
7730A Trinity Rd, Suite 106
Cordova, TN 38018
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Get Directions

Nashville Area
214 Ward Cir., Suite 900
Brentwood, TN 37027
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Pickup Available After 11:00 AM
12-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
The FedEx “superhub” is actually in Memphis.

Rick “who has been there” Denney
That's right! Dang. Not sure why I got confused.
08-29-2019, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update June 2019: Ricoh posted an updated list of authorized US dealers: https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Ricoh-Imaging_Authorized-Dealer-List_eff-June-2019.pdf

Because Ricoh posts just a list of dealer names (often inaccurate or hard to search for), I've created a spreadsheet that lists details about each, including website, city, state, phone and a quick product search for Pentax/Ricoh products.

I've updated the Google spreadsheet: Ricoh Imaging US Authorized Dealers

There are 16 new dealers in the 2019 list. 13 are telescope/outdoor goods dealers and feature Pentax telescope eyepieces, spotting scopes and binoculars. Three camera dealers were added, but none of them actually have Pentax/Ricoh photographic products listed on their websites.

The official Ricoh dealer list STILL lists about a dozen dealers no longer in business.

Sadly, Creve Coeur Camera, in Creve Coeur, MO has closed. They used to have several locations, and listed a decent selection of Pentax products on their website.
A couple of dealers have also removed all mention of Pentax products and two are expected to close soon.

Hope folks find this useful. Let me know if there are corrections/additions to be made.

Thanks,
Mike
08-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Update June 2019: Ricoh posted an updated list of authorized US dealers: https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Ricoh-Imaging_Authorized-Dealer-List_eff-June-2019.pdf

Because Ricoh posts just a list of dealer names (often inaccurate or hard to search for), I've created a spreadsheet that lists details about each, including website, city, state, phone and a quick product search for Pentax/Ricoh products.

There are 16 new dealers in the 2019 list. 13 are telescope/outdoor goods dealers and feature Pentax telescope eyepieces, spotting scopes and binoculars. Three camera dealers were added, but none of them actually have Pentax/Ricoh photographic products listed on their websites.

The official Ricoh dealer list STILL lists about a dozen dealers no longer in business.

Sadly, Creve Coeur Camera, in Creve Coeur, MO has closed. They used to have several locations, and listed a decent selection of Pentax products on their website.
A couple of dealers have also removed all mention of Pentax products and two are expected to close soon.

Hope folks find this useful. Let me know if there are corrections/additions to be made.

Thanks,
Mike
Very nice! If you haven't already, could you add these to the retailer map?

Worldwide Pentax Retailer Map - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote

Thanks,
Mike
I bought my K-1 and DFA28~105 at Creve Couer Camera in spring 2016. They had been a great and loyal Pentax Dealer for 20+ years, but after the chain was sold - and the new owner bought the largest camera store in Columbia, MO - they had trouble servicing their debt. The local newspaper ran an article about the last store closing. CCC blamed floorplanning and sales tax as the reasons their sales declined.