Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #1

Recommendations for Yellowstone Landscape photography

September 27th - October 7th I'll be in West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cody and Jackson.
I have a few ideas for landscape photography but at the age of 39 I find that I don't know anything.
If anyone has any recommendations on locations I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Ken

09-25-2018, 07:50 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mach Quote
September 27th - October 7th I'll be in West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cody and Jackson.
I have a few ideas for landscape photography but at the age of 39 I find that I don't know anything.
If anyone has any recommendations on locations I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
Ken
The Madison River runs along the road from West Yellowstone into the park. Get out there at daybreak, it is beautiful, full of wildlife’s, etc. Actually all of the river valleys are teaming with wildlife. Have a camera ready at all times because there is so much. Of course there are a lot of geothermal sites to see also, grand prismatic springs is gorgeous. There are several beautiful river valleys and waterfalls, including the powerful Yellowstone falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. I was there 8 years ago when I really didn’t know that much about my K20 D yet and still got some good photos because there were so many opportunities. It’s at the top of my list of anywhere that I have been for photography, I’m ready to go back st anytime.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 09-25-2018 at 07:59 PM.
09-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should find the barns on Mormon Row near Jackson. Be sure to arrive at or before sunrise to optimize your chances of amazing lighting of a beautiful view. A collection of shots from there as well as Yellowstone from several years ago: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone - darylkottwitzphoto
09-25-2018, 11:24 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yellowstone Lower Falls is a must-see.

09-26-2018, 02:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't been to Yellowstone for years. Try a simple search on Flickr or Instagram to see different interesting locations.

@gaweidert can probably help too.
09-26-2018, 05:09 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy your visit. You have to hit the popular spots. No way around it. They are popular for a reason. The Lamar Valley will have bison and a lot of other critters too. When photographing the critters you have to take what the park offers. If you have someone with you it helps a lot as some of the roads, while not dangerous, do require your attention. While they are wide enough, shoulders are optional in places. Not that you are going to drive off a cliff, but you may get stuck. A spotting scope and or binoculars are good accessories too. While the animals may be too far off to photograph they are still fun to watch.

Dress in layers. It is a changeable time of year out there. Last May I encountered snow, rain and sleet and hail all at the same time. The bison and elk will be in rut so keep your head on a swivel if you are near them . Watching two huge male bison fight over mating rights is darned impressive if you are close to them. Scenery is all over the place. Especially for east coasters like us. For classic shots of the upper and lower falls. Those are visible from South Rim Drive. Everyone wants the shot simply because they are well worth getting. I am not sure if the trails to both of the falls overlooks are open. There has been some trail reconstruction going on the past few years in the Canyon Village area.

Mammoth Hot Springs well worth several shots from all different angles. I always stay at Gardiner when I go. The north part of the park is less crowded. I try to hit the hot spots early to beat the crowds and then migrate to other areas as the morning wears on. Bring plenty of water with you. Food food. You will be doing a lot of walking in the geyser basins. There is an overlook where you can get an overview of Grand Prismatic Spring. It requires a bit of a walk, but well worth a shot that most visitors are not going to get.

Bring bear spray. They do visit the hot spots too. Humans are not the apex predator out there. More like walking protein bars. They are bulking up before hibernation. Do not be surprised to see a visitor or two carrying a pistol. Usually a large caliber one. They are allowed. If you go into the back country and get eaten by a bear, it is considered all part of your wilderness experience. Personal safely is up to you. Mother Nature just doesn't give a darn about it. Follow the rules and stay on the trails. The warnings in the thermal areas are not suggestions. Cell phone coverage is available in the main areas and very spotty everywhere else.

The park website has a lot of information about conditions, road and trail closures. Also some web cams so you can get a real time weather observation. There literally scenic photographs just about anywhere you can pull off the road. The park scenery changes every day. Pull off and enjoy it. It is more than okay to put the cameras down and just enjoy the park for what it is.

Get the shots of Old Faithful, the two main waterfalls, and Grand Prismatic Spring. Then pad your portfolio with everything else. I have a K1, K1-II and a K3 that I take with me. My most used lenses the last few times were my D FA 28-105 and D FA 150-450 for the K1's and my Sigma 17-70 a DA 55-300 WR for my K3. Since I drive I have room for all of them. Less used were my 20mm and macro lenses. Tripods are helpful for cameras and scopes. I do not know how you are getting there so I am not sure what kit you will be taking along.

So, in summary, Scenery is everywhere. Hit the hot spots early if you can. Critters are hit or miss so having someone ride shotgun is a big help. Dress for anything, Enjoy the park. As I have gotten older, I find the tourists more amusing than an annoyance. I have started including them in shots at some places.

If you are not old enough to get the senior pass, get the Golden Eagle pass. That is good for one year and once you have it, all subsequent admissions are free. I think it is $35 per car per day to get in. It covers any national park too. I have the senior pass, but I still drop money in the donation jars every time I go.

Cody is a nice place. The Buffalo Bill Museum is awesome and it contains the Winchester family firearms collection. One of it's artifacts is one of the air rifles that Lewis And Clark carried with them. There is also a quirky little museum in Cody attached to a gun shop called the Dug Up Gun Museum. It consist of abandoned firearms dug up at various places around the world.

There is a book available at the park stores, or online called The Roadside Geology of Yellowstone Country. Well worth a read if you are interested in that stuff.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
09-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Amazing information!
I'm taking my parents with me. Their mobility is limited. This isn't exactly a photography trip but its Yellowstone so why not!
I'm flying into saltlake city.
I have a tripod and a K1.
Thanks again!

09-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing information!
I'm taking my parents with me. Their mobility is limited. This isn't exactly a photography trip but its Yellowstone so why not!
Thanks again!
gaweidert has given you some great advice. I have only been there once as it is not exactly close by for me ! The only thing I would add is that most of the great sights in the park itself are accessible from the road/car parks, so mobility of your parents will not be too limiting as long as they dont mind you trailing off on the boardwalks at the thermal features.

look on the NPS website for all you need to know about visiting. When we went we spent two nights at Mammoth and two nights at the Lake. So four days and we felt we saw almost everything, bar hiking out on a trail. It is without a doubt the best holiday of my life. You must book accommodation if you stay in the park and details will be on the website. They are very accommodating if you run late.

Cody is lovely and dont miss the shoot-out outside the hotel Irma !

Jackson is a great place too with the National Wildlife Art museum (I think that is the name) well worth a visit. Think you may be too late for the Rodeo.

Enjoy.

Last edited by pschlute; 09-26-2018 at 09:04 AM.
09-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gaweidert makes a lot of good points, I has forgot about the Buffalo Bill Museum, it is excellent, like three museums in one. One hotspot I would skip is Old Faithful, it’s the biggest disappointment in the park, but the Inn there is pretty cool architecturally. Make sure you know when sunrise and sunset is and make the most of your day.
09-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tons of info on the web

check out

Plan | Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Brochures & Downloads | Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Plan Your Visit - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Nearby Attractions - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

have fun

Bear Spray can be rented in the park if you wish

Bear Spray - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

be advised that you cannot fly with bear spray, not allowed in checked or carry on luggage

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/wheelchairmobility.htm

http://www.yellowstone.co/accessibility.htm
09-26-2018, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no particular advice to add on the photography, all the good stuff's been said already.

We've had a couple of family gatherings in Yellowstone, and some of us had mobility issues too. Note that the park does sit at a higher elevation, so expect getting out of breath a bit quicker. Most of the popular spots will have benches scattered along the trails & boardwalks for resting. Your photog time can let your folks amble along at their own pace too.

Most of all, don't try to rush around and catch everything. The park's simply too big and too filled with amazing stuff to get it all. See and enjoy whatever you can fit in, and be ready to adjust your activities to your folks and Mother Nature's whims...
09-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing information!
Thanks again!
We first visited the park in 1991 during our family great western trek. Been there 9 times now. We took our parents in 1993. You are doing a great thing taking them. Get a lot of enjoyment out of watching their joy. It will be a great shared memory for everyone. At 67 my mobility is a bit limited too but I keep on plugging anyway.

My mother had never been out west so we talked my parents into flying into Denver then took off for Rocky Mountain. NP, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We saw Dinosaur National Monument on the way back. Plus a lot of stops in between. My mother loved the history of the west and we stopped at some of the sites along the Oregon Trail. Also at some of old western forts and the Custer Battlefield.

I live in western, NY and drive there whenever I go. It is much easier than flying nowadays. A lot less hassles and plenty to see along the way too. If the weather is good, the Beartooth Highway may still be open. I have not driven that road yet but it is quite the drive.
09-26-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yellowstone Lower Falls is a must-see.
Awesome shot of the falls. Very unique slant. Probably the best rendition of a normally cliche shot I have seen on this site. I never thought of capturing it like that...............until now.
09-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Awesome shot of the falls. Very unique slant. Probably the best rendition of a normally cliche shot I have seen on this site. I never thought of capturing it like that...............until now.
Thank you very much. This is a crop of a larger (more cliched shot !). I call this version "heart of darkness" as it seems very primeval to me.

We started our trip in Denver too. We had the sense to stay the first night in an airport hotel just so we could start fresh the following day, and ended up driving all the way to Cody that first full day past Medicine Bow and some great places on the way. The distances are so vast compared to little old England.

As I said in my post above this was the best holiday of my life by far. The first time we emerged from the trees and saw the Hayden Valley ahead of us with more Bison than you could count I actually cried.

ps. My shot is not actually black and white although at first glance it looks it.
09-26-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

When I went two years ago I brought with my K-3; DA 15 Limited, DA 17-70 and HD DA 55-300. Now I have replaced the DA 17-70 with the DA 16-85 and the 55-300 is now the PLM version. I would say when I go back, which I will do, I will bring the 16-85 which will be for about 80% of what I would photograph in Yellowstone, The 15 Limited will be for situations where a really wide angle or light weight is needed. No surprise here, you will see wildlife and when we were able to photograph bears and bison I would not feel safe doing it with the 16-85. I would rather have a safer distance and the 55-300 PLM on the camera. If you have these two zooms or equivalent they should cover nearly everything.