Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Your Preferred Photo Hosting Site

Technically, this isn't software but this doesn't really fall neatly into any other categories.

I have a Flickr and Instagram but I wanted to look into what other photographers use to host and share their photos. What are pros using these days? All these Google searches bring up conflicting information. What should every pro or aspiring pro use? Why? Thank you in advance for any answers.

09-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
Technically, this isn't software but this doesn't really fall neatly into any other categories.

I have a Flickr and Instagram but I wanted to look into what other photographers use to host and share their photos. What are pros using these days? All these Google searches bring up conflicting information. What should every pro or aspiring pro use? Why? Thank you in advance for any answers.
Use what works best for you. I use Flickr as my main site but have a few other accounts also. I just hope that since smugmug has bought Flickr they don’t turn it into that type of site. So that is another consideration, lots of these sites have changed over the years and some folded because of greed. You could also pay to host your own site and manage it yourself, it all depends on what you want.

As far as the pros there is no one or two sites, they are everywhere.
09-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doesn't get much better than Flickr. A free terabyte is amazing, and photos can be uploaded with as large of a file size as you want!
09-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Flickr and would consider SquareSpace should I choose to actually use the domain name I own.

Steve

(...not a pro...duh...)

09-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

I only use Flickr, It's free.
09-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have used flickr since 2014 no problems. Even closed PF gallery & albums (too restrictive) to concentrate on flickr ;hope that Smug mug doesn't bugger it up; hasn't so far.
09-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I am not a pro, or aspiring pro, Flickr is my main site. I like YouPic too, more than I liked 500px...

09-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #8

I have used a Pro Flickr account since 2007. Overall I am happy with that site. Lots of storage for a reasonable price. The new owners, SmugMug, have implemented a price increase that just doubled the cost but it is still a good value. I have even made some image sales from people contacting me via Flickrmail.

Instagram is something that I am using too, but more for social interaction and inspiration rather than serious image hosting.

I also make use of the Portfolio website that is provided with a subscription to the Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop package. There are a few templates to build on and it makes for a decent first time site to present a curated portfolio of your best work. See the "AdobePortfolio" link below in my signature for an example of the Adobe Portfolio site.

For a more serious portfolio hosting there are a couple of suggestions based on my research so far. A lot of the pro-photographers that I follow are promoting and using www.squarespace.com for their hosting (Thomas Heaton, Sean Evans, Brendon Van son, ...). This has a bunch of templates to choose from and a lot of built in tools to make easy work of setting up a photography website.

Another option is to buy a domain, have an independent host (e.g www.bluehost.com) and then use Wordpress to develop a site that includes portfolio, blog, e-store, etc. This is a bit more work but you end up with more control over the end product and you can move your site to another host rather than having to start from scratch with the "pre-packaged" sites (Photoshelter, Squarespace, Smugmug, etc).

Good luck!

Last edited by R. Wethereyet; 09-26-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: fix typos, reword text
09-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #9

I use SmugMug because my viewers do not have to endure the advertisements required to support "free" photo sharing sites. I also have a fair amount of control over the design and layout of each page and how my website is organized. Another thing I really like about the SmugMug viewing experience is the way my photos automatically resize to whatever size browser window / monitor the viewer is using.

I detest Flickr because of the popup windows begging me to "follow" you, and the advertisements shown after every 4h or 5th image. I won't look at a Flickr album because of the advertising, so I wouldn't ask someone to look at my photos there, either.

I don't attempt to sell my photos, but that is an option for those who pay extra for a "portfolio" or "business" account with SmugMug. All SmugMug accounts have unlimited storage. SmugMug features and account levels are listed <here>

I don't use the "social" part of SmugMug, either, so I can't comment on that.

As a Lightroom user, one of the best features of SmugMug is the Lightroom plugin. It's quick and easy to create and update my SmugMug albums from within Lightroom. If I edit a photo in Lightroom, or discover I mispelled a word in the caption, it takes like 2 clicks to have the udates pushed to my website.

SmugMug is not the greatest for video. There is a limit of 20 minutes, maximum, for each video; I have made a couple of slideshows that went a bit over that, so I had to edit again, or break it up into multiple chapters. Additionally, the video player SmugMug uses takes a few seconds to figure out what kind of video quality to deliver, and during that startup time, the video looks crap. Not a good first impression. Once the video gets going, it looks fine.

It also takes a while to figure out how all the customization features work, but that's probably true for any website host which offers customization.
09-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
I detest Flickr because of the popup windows begging me to "follow" you, and the advertisements shown after every 4h or 5th image. I won't look at a Flickr album because of the advertising, so I wouldn't ask someone to look at my photos there, either.
I don't get any of that when I'm surfing Flickr? How come ?
09-26-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I don't get any of that when I'm surfing Flickr? How come ?
The ads only show up if you don't have an account, I believe, so when family is clicking through your photo stream and they aren't logged in they may suddenly see a strange ad and think it was a photo you took.
09-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used Flickr to host/share my photos for several years, through several ownership changes, without any issues. In addition to those already stating it here so far, I know of a number of other PF members who use it as well.
09-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I use Flickr, SmugMug primarily. SmugMug I use for people that I want to be able to download or purchase prints. I have one site that has all of my photos that my family can access. And I setup other sites for individuals and only provide access to certain photos

I like Flickr because there is or can be a social aspect to it if you choose to participate. I also like the feedback I get on my photos either through comments or likes. Plus I get to see all these other wonderful photos and I learn what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong. It is what you choose to make of it.
09-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have and use Flickr, but for quite a few years while I was shooting professionally daily, I used Zenfolio. The interface and options are great for a working professional, although a bit pricey for a hobbiest.
09-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
I detest Flickr because of the popup windows begging me to "follow" you, and the advertisements shown after every 4h or 5th image. I won't look at a Flickr album because of the advertising, so I wouldn't ask someone to look at my photos there, either

Hmmm, interesting. I guess there is a benefit to paying for a "Pro" Flickr account. I never see any advertisements. "...learn something new everyday!" :-D