Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

Printing and displaying photographs

Reading the thread comparing the new DFA 50/1.4 v FA 50/1.4 set me to thinking and ending up with the conclusion that it was not the lens for me. But it did set a train of thought in motion about lenses in general and so many of the discussions I read. I wondered how many members print and display their photos rather than just up load them to the net or only view them on a PC screen?

I may be wrong but it does seem that it is something rarely mentioned when discussing most equipment these days and not just lenses. Yes, I am old and probably old fashioned as well. I admit, I do get more pleasure from seeing a large print on the wall rather than on a PC screen. Yes a PC or tablet etc is great for sorting through pics. It is much easier and quicker to send a photo to a friend or relative by email or social media than posting a 6x4 print. However, the photos that have always made me stop and think or to say "wow!" were displayed on a wall.

09-26-2018, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
I wondered how many members print and display their photos rather than just up load them to the net or only view them on a PC screen?

However, the photos that have always made me stop and think or to say "wow!" were displayed on a wall.
At least once a year, I make 2-3 large format prints anywhere from 30x30" to 36x44". This year I made my first canvas print and stretched it onto a wood frame. Also once a year, I make a photo book. It's not cheap, but those images are looked at for years to come and writing descriptive and detailed captions helps put the image in context.

You're right, viewing an image on a monitor doesn't have the same aesthetic as print, and the bigger, the better.

Although I do share images via FB or Instagram etc, if the photo is a true "keeper", I will print them out as a 5x8" or 6x9" and "share" them via snail mail.
09-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Unregistered User

I find printing to be very rewarding. Over the last two years I've printed several hundred photo prints (as big as 13"x19") for shows, for friends, for home use (I have a rotating gallery) as well as non-photo things (posters, signs, old newspapers, etc.) .

Printing entails taking into consideration framing, matting and decor, not exactly photo technology, but those are things that makes life better, and that's sort of what its all about, isn't it?
09-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I find printing to be very rewarding. Over the last two years I've printed several hundred photo prints (as big as 13"x19") for shows, for friends, for home use (I have a rotating gallery) as well as non-photo things (posters, signs, old newspapers, etc.) .

Printing entails taking into consideration framing, matting and decor, not exactly photo technology, but those are things that makes life better, and that's sort of what its all about, isn't it?

You say "not exactly photo technology" but although not so easily measurable, I do believe it is part of the "technology". After all, I tend to chose the camera, lens etc to suit what I am going to do with that photo as well as the subject. If I intend to display the photo, the rendition of the lens is more important to me than perhaps sharpness etc. If on the other hand it is to illustrate fine detail to sell something or to illustrate instructions then the choice might be different.

09-26-2018, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting topic.

A PC is not just for "sorting " images however. Apart from actually being the tool that "creates" the image (assuming you process raw files or crop jpegs), my PC is where I view most of my pictures; upload to forums and competitions; and display them on photo hosting websites. My screensaver (is that the correct word these days ?) has a rolling display of my "art" !

But yes I do like to print. i have a space in my kitchen where I have a frame for a 24"x16" print which i rotate whenever I feel I have a new one that is worthy.

09-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have limited wall space on the boat, but I do print for the corkboard, albums, photobooks, and to give away. I definitely think that there is something "more" about a printed and framed photo, as opposed to seeing it on a computer, or projected.
09-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me...and I do so up to 13x19" using a recent zoom and a mix of lenses made decades ago.

Steve

09-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Interesting topic.

A PC is not just for "sorting " images however. Apart from actually being the tool that "creates" the image (assuming you process raw files or crop jpegs), my PC is where I view most of my pictures; upload to forums and competitions; and display them on photo hosting websites. My screensaver (is that the correct word these days ?) has a rolling display of my "art" !

But yes I do like to print. i have a space in my kitchen where I have a frame for a 24"x16" print which i rotate whenever I feel I have a new one that is worthy.

I didn't say "A PC is just for sorting images" or at least that is not what I meant. I was trying to say that it is often much quicker and easier to look through a directory of images on a computer than hunting through albums to find a particular photo. And even easier than hunting through a neg file with a light box and lupe.

And I do take your point that the PC has effectively replaced the dark room, even for those that still use film. I wouldn't say it creates the image, more that it is used to manipulate it in the same way a dark room was to crop and to alter highlights by burning, dodging etc. Interesting about competitions, most I have taken part in have been local camera club and have been judged on a print rather than a electronic image.
09-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like printing, from small photo album 5x7 to larger wall prints.

I think it's not very much discussed because it's not that interesting in terms of new technology. Printing technology is already pretty good and just works if you use a good print shop or printer. People like discussing new breakthroughs like 5 stop shake reduction to neutrino coatings (give me a break, haha!). I think part of that emphasis makes sense because while the latest cameras (which are all pretty darn great) might not help you improve your composition, they can certainly help make photography easier.

For example, newer gear can be lighter, have more manual focus aids, reduce post-processing times, etc. With the exception of colour management, which isn't too hard, printing is pretty easy already.
09-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I like printing, from small photo album 5x7 to larger wall prints.

I think it's not very much discussed because it's not that interesting in terms of new technology. Printing technology is already pretty good and just works if you use a good print shop or printer. People like discussing new breakthroughs like 5 stop shake reduction to neutrino coatings (give me a break, haha!). I think part of that emphasis makes sense because while the latest cameras (which are all pretty darn great) might not help you improve your composition, they can certainly help make photography easier.

For example, newer gear can be lighter, have more manual focus aids, reduce post-processing times, etc. With the exception of colour management, which isn't too hard, printing is pretty easy already.
Not sure newer gear is lighter, certainly the DFA 50 is not lighter than the FA 50.

I wasn't really thinking about discussions of printing or how to do it, more how a lens renders an image and in particular how it looks when printed rather than blown up pixel peeping on a monitor.
09-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’ve just started experimenting with printing after acquiring a Canon Pixma Pro on one of those $59 deals including $50 worth of 11x17 paper. Intending to print forces me to pay attention to the final image as a goal rather than just playing with old lenses and taking snapshots. Ultimately I plan to display prints in my office, which will elicit discussion and constructive criticism.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.
09-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I wondered how many members print and display their photos rather than just up load them to the net or only view them on a PC screen?
I got my first dslr about 9 years ago and swore I'd print up some images, maybe rotate the display or share as gifts. 30,000 shots later - haven't printed one!

Some great ideas provided by others here.
09-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not sure newer gear is lighter, certainly the DFA 50 is not lighter than the FA 50.

I wasn't really thinking about discussions of printing or how to do it, more how a lens renders an image and in particular how it looks when printed rather than blown up pixel peeping on a monitor.
That's fair enough. Though I think a lot of good reviewers discuss how a lens renders without necessarily referring to 100% crops, and that gives you a pretty good idea of how a shot will look in print.