Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 04:12 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
amstel78's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NEPA, NYC, and wherever work sends me...
Photos: Albums
Posts: 190
Original Poster
PDL,

Thank you for your insights. I do agree that US protections don't cover me while I'm outside the country, thus I am very mindful of my surroundings when I am taking pictures on foreign soil. That's not what my initial post was about though. However, to call my common sense into question is a bit much, considering you don't know me. I've managed to survive two tours of duty in the military, traveled around the world to some of the most deplorable places, and have probably seen and experienced more than most folks. I like to think I'm a level-headed person that knows when to skedaddle if things start getting iffy. And while Harlem isn't the greatest of neighborhoods, it is certainly no West Garfield Park. People go to Harlem all the time to take pictures - sometimes as a group or alone; just google 'street photography Harlem' to get an idea.

And apologies for conflating the right to privacy with the first amendment; I only did so in an attempt to illustrate a point. I'll give your video a watch later today when I get a chance. Have a great day!

10-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #62
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,540
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
PDL,

Thank you for your insights. I do agree that US protections don't cover me while I'm outside the country, thus I am very mindful of my surroundings when I am taking pictures on foreign soil. That's not what my initial post was about though. However, to call my common sense into question is a bit much, considering you don't know me. I've managed to survive two tours of duty in the military, traveled around the world to some of the most deplorable places, and have probably seen and experienced more than most folks. I like to think I'm a level-headed person that knows when to skedaddle if things start getting iffy. And while Harlem isn't the greatest of neighborhoods, it is certainly no West Garfield Park. People go to Harlem all the time to take pictures - sometimes as a group or alone; just google 'street photography Harlem' to get an idea.

And apologies for conflating the right to privacy with the first amendment; I only did so in an attempt to illustrate a point. I'll give your video a watch later today when I get a chance. Have a great day!
Point taken and I grant you the point about me not knowing you or your history. However, the examples you gave tend to show that in at least two situations you did not show enough awareness that you could be getting in over your head quite quickly. Further, you stated that you "did not want to get shot" implying that being in situations where the possibility of getting shot is not all that uncommon. I would assume, even if incorrectly, that you repeatedly find yourself in situations that are near or life threating. Again, if you are a conflict photojournalist, then that comes with the territory otherwise I think you need to sit back and evaluate how you get into these types of situations. But based on your description of your encounters does lead me to wonder if you are pushing the boundaries especially if carrying your K-1 with a 70-200. From what I can gather by reading about the equipment used by street photographers, smaller is better. Not because smaller is sneaky but big long lenses are the definition of sneaky in street photography. Even your new 50mm is to large, get a FA 50mm or 40mm pancake and ditch the grip, use back button focus, just setting the focus point for what seems to be a focus point you are comfortable with and then run with it. I use my K-3II with the 18-50mm and stand out of the way and let people go bye, I don't think I have ever intentionally "stuck a camera in someone's face", that phrase just creates problems.

Aside: Your image in post #22 is gorgeous by the way.

As an aside, in today's email stuff I was another British based street photographer (Originally from the US) who provides insight on how he approaches street photography in Oxford England. An interesting read that may go to provide you with something to think about. I like the article for his process and last month and last year I spend a few days in Oxford and I recognize some of the buildings and locations in the article. Just like the video I linked to yesterday, some of the photos are from locations I was at when we spent time in London. It is nice to see other people's images of the same places I was.
David Stumpp on Hitting the Streets for "Lunchtime Portraits"
10-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #63
Pentaxian
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,546
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LOL - yup. I tried to explain this to a friend when he asked what kind of camera I used. I said that's like asking the chef what kind of pans and knives he uses.
True, but a large part of this forum discusses their "pots and pans" camera hardware, considering how essential it is to have the latest "pot" or "pan".
10-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
amstel78's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NEPA, NYC, and wherever work sends me...
Photos: Albums
Posts: 190
Original Poster
@PDL,

I recently acquired an Olympus E-M10 Mark III and a 50mm f1.7 prime which I'll be using mostly for street photography. It's diminutive size should make it the perfect tool for such occasions. The K1 and modern Pentax glass is great for most other photographic genres but not street, especially if trying to remain inconspicuous.

The Harlem incident; I was out with a Canon 5D and a Canon 70-200L so yeah, I can see how that drew unnecessary attention.

Also just to clarify, but the images in post 22 aren't mine, but Cartier-Bresson's. Not sure if I misread your reply, but either way, credit should go to where it's due.

And perhaps you're right. I think any job that requires one to wear body armor most times when working outside the office will eventually rub off in other aspects of life. I've attached a pic of what I have to wear sometimes. As it is, it already weighs about 20 pounds with just the carrier and plates. And when I am wearing it, taking photos for pleasure is the last thing on my mind.

Anyway, I've got fourteen years left on the clock before I reach my 30 and collect my pension. Trying to pass the time when I'm home by improving my photography skills.



10-04-2018, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,157
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
True, but a large part of this forum discusses their "pots and pans" camera hardware, considering how essential it is to have the latest "pot" or "pan".
I fully expect a chef to talk shop with others about knives and pans and other gear. But I also expect any chef of modest competance can cook excellent food using any gear. This is similar. Hand any competent photographer any camera and watch as talent triumphs over gear.

"Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera Challenge®" Series by DigitalRev - YouTube
10-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #66
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,540
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
@PDL,

I recently acquired an Olympus E-M10 Mark III and a 50mm f1.7 prime which I'll be using mostly for street photography. It's diminutive size should make it the perfect tool for such occasions. The K1 and modern Pentax glass is great for most other photographic genres but not street, especially if trying to remain inconspicuous.

The Harlem incident; I was out with a Canon 5D and a Canon 70-200L so yeah, I can see how that drew unnecessary attention.

Also just to clarify, but the images in post 22 aren't mine, but Cartier-Bresson's. Not sure if I misread your reply, but either way, credit should go to where it's due.

And perhaps you're right. I think any job that requires one to wear body armor most times when working outside the office will eventually rub off in other aspects of life. I've attached a pic of what I have to wear sometimes. As it is, it already weighs about 20 pounds with just the carrier and plates. And when I am wearing it, taking photos for pleasure is the last thing on my mind.

Anyway, I've got fourteen years left on the clock before I reach my 30 and collect my pension. Trying to pass the time when I'm home by improving my photography skills.
Two things, first you are still in the military so I can see where your "civilian" activities might seem to allow you to be a little less tuned in to what is going on the your surroundings. Point taken.

Second, I thought I had seen nearly all of HBC's images and that one is new to me. I even have the "Henri Cartier-Bresson by Masters of Photography / Aperture" book on my desk right now and that image is not in it. I also have the Time-Life series of photography from the 70's that covers a little of HBC's work and that image is not in it. I have even been to the site run by Magnum and his family and have yet to find it. If HBC is an inspiration to you, as he is to me, then I have no doubt that you just might capture a image that is as beautiful as that one.

Since you are in NYC, maybe you could get in on a workshop or two via Media-Storm or the millennials at thePhoblographer if you could stand them talking about how cool the latest wrist strap/camera bag/300 dollar tripod is.... Keep your head down when the going gets rough and maybe the next 14 years will go by quickly.
10-05-2018, 01:56 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
amstel78's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NEPA, NYC, and wherever work sends me...
Photos: Albums
Posts: 190
Original Poster
Thanks, but I'm not in the military anymore. I'm employed by the UN now, so I still end up in places where body armor is required.

As for HCB's photo of woman on stairs with birds; I'm fairly certain it's his. Even when googling his photos, this is one that always seems to pop up. I'll see if I can find more info about it.

I considered taking a course or joining a group on a few occasions, but as you said, sometimes the focus revolves more around the instrument rather than the photographer. Plus, I find street photography to be a very personal thing that I prefer to do alone. Although perhaps it's a good idea to at least bring one other person if planning to shoot in an iffy environment.

10-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
amstel78's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NEPA, NYC, and wherever work sends me...
Photos: Albums
Posts: 190
Original Poster
I banged out of work today; wasn't feeling well so I headed to the doctor's office for a checkup. After, decided to take the long way home and just snap a few photos with the Olympus. Here's a couple of shots I came back with.





And this is something shot with a K1-II a while back but just got around to processing it today:



Last edited by amstel78; 10-05-2018 at 11:08 AM.
10-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #69
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,540
Your images show real potential. I think you are getting the hang of it, well done.
10-05-2018, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
amstel78's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NEPA, NYC, and wherever work sends me...
Photos: Albums
Posts: 190
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Your images show real potential. I think you are getting the hang of it, well done.
Thank you. I'm always trying to find ways to somehow improve my game. I'll mention it again, but to me the hardest part about street photography is building up the nerve to raise my lens to someone's face; whether that be within 2 feet or 10. Perhaps I'm paranoid from past experiences, but I prefer avoiding confrontations when I can. The only exception being is if I'm tasked to get a picture as part of an assignment, then I really don't care what others say to me. Other photographers seem to have no qualms when it comes to photographing people in public - a trait I'd like to adopt when it comes to taking pictures for my own gain or pleasure.

FWIW, here are few more street shots from years past:











Rest of the street stuff can be found here if you're interested: Street Photography

More recent photos here: https://jamespaulsarte.com/x3/galleries/latest/

Last edited by amstel78; 10-05-2018 at 01:25 PM.
10-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #71
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,540
I have added your site into my list of "regular" gotta go visit list.
You have a keen eye for this stuff. I so share your hesitation in bringing the camera up to my face when shooting in public, something I just go along with when the situation arises to get a interesting shot. Over the years I have gotten in the habit of intentionally looking for human free images, but in crowded cities that is sort of hard.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
amendment, countries, equivalent, law, moment, obsession, pentax, photography, picture, pictures, post, property, street, subject, subjects
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery Face to face... nobody Post Your Photos! 8 10-02-2018 11:38 PM
Best of 2016 Best of 2016: There's time... (someone rest, someone goes) elioloba Post Your Photos! 7 07-21-2018 08:08 AM
Water Crystal Art at -30C (Without Sticking Your Tongue to the Easel) honey bo bo Photographic Technique 4 12-17-2017 02:38 PM
Macro Face to face Dembol Post Your Photos! 6 01-10-2014 05:41 PM
Nature Face to face with "Buzz" charliezap Post Your Photos! 7 05-20-2011 05:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top