Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Here's a complimentary thread to the "Latest acquisition" and "Latest de-acquisition" ones.

I decided that I should sell off my medium format kit. I've been thinking about it for some time - I mean, really, how can an amateur justify such large and expensive gear? I only use it once in a blue moon anyway.

So I've just finished processing some half-decent product shots taken this afternoon, and as I look at them I realise I can't do it. The 645Z works just fine despite its 140K+ shutter count, and the lenses are all freakin' MINT. And so PRETTY!!

Does anyone else get into this sort of pickle?
With that shutter count, it seems to me that the 645Z gets plenty of use.

09-29-2018, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sell? Who sells?

Steve

(...last item I sold was my K10D and I still sort of miss it...)
09-29-2018, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had regret listing my Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9 for sale. Then there were no buyers. So now I have additional regret that it didn't sell.
09-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
With that shutter count, it seems to me that the 645Z gets plenty of use.
I got it second hand from a wedding 'tog who was changing systems (Sony - eeewwww!). I've probably only taken a couple of hundred shots

09-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

No regrets so far. I've only sold a few old M lenses for profit from my thrift store adventures. I'm planning on selling more of my kit though to save up for a KP so I'm sure I'll feel it then.
09-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put my K70 up for sale and then changed my mind...again. Everyone else likes it so it must be me?. I have got it up to 3000+ shots and still don't like it and yet it's still hard to sell. I find Ihave a problem letting go of camera gear.
09-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I put my K70 up for sale and then changed my mind...again. Everyone else likes it so it must be me?. I have got it up to 3000+ shots and still don't like it and yet it's still hard to sell. I find Ihave a problem letting go of camera gear.
Clearly your camera is possessed and will not let you part with it. Send it to me at no cost to yourself and I will rid it of it's demons!

09-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sell? Who sells?
Ah, finally... a view I can relate to...
09-29-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This year I’ve sold an unopened NIB Q/02 kit, a NIB FA24-90, a K35/2, an M28/2 and a DA15/4. I have two dozen lenses and seven cameras on the table. I don’t miss any of them and won’t miss anything but the KP.
09-29-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
....I’ve sold....a DA15/4.
Crazy talk! That lens is one of the few reasons I keep a crop system. I reckon I'd even keep it for use in crop mode if I just had the K-1.
09-29-2018, 07:03 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Crazy talk! That lens is one of the few reasons I keep a crop system. I reckon I'd even keep it for use in crop mode if I just had the K-1.
I know. It was the third one I’ve had but I’m reducing to K-1 and FF lenses only. I’ve tried just about everything except a 200/4 Macro and A135/1.8 so not much obsession left.

I have A20/2.8 and I can sleep without a starburst lens in my drawer. Allen can use it. He’s pretty stoked (which is the fun part of selling).

So just a KX, MX and LX, and the only m42 I’m keeping are the CZ Ultron 1,8 50mm, the 8 element 50/1.4 and Auto Takumar 85/1.8. The jury is out on the SMC 35/2.8 Macro. I might keep KP just for birds, or just use the DA35 crop.

Really, honestly, once they’re gone I don’t miss them. I’ll buy some new stuff to keep Pentax going, but aside from the K collection it’s just excess stuff.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 09-29-2018 at 07:11 PM.
09-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sell? Who sells?

Steve

(...last item I sold was my K10D and I still sort of miss it...)
That is my experience also. Honestly, I never have much gear, so I never have much opportunity to sell much off. I did sell off a few lenses when I switched from Canon back to Pentax three years ago .... but I still had some Pentax lenses lying around from the Pentax camera I "retired" twenty years earlier {I also have the camera, and I have used it a few times, partly to see how a FF camera would work with DA lenses}.
09-29-2018, 09:19 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input.

I think I'll keep the Z (the shutter count might put buyers off) and the adapted Schneider-Kreuznach Cinelux Ultra (it's beautiful, idiosyncratic, possibly unique and probably impossible to re-acquire). The output of the others I can pretty much re-create with my full frame kit.
09-30-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess one question would be how many more years of pleasure and satisfaction (creative) could you get out of the kit? The value of the equipment amortized over those years might be a different proposition. How much is nurturing your creativity worth to you? Yes, it’s a professional grade camera. There are plenty of amateurs with talent equal to a professional who choose not to make money from their photos. The camera could care less who is behind the viewfinder. Reasons to sell it might be a need to redeploy the funds, switch to a different system, etc. Not thinking one is worthy/deserving of the privilege of using such a wonderful tool when one can afford it, less so. My two cents. I had to sell my Z and lenses a while back. Missed them greatly. Was recently able to replace them. For me it’s a lifetime investment in joy.
10-03-2018, 03:08 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't used my portable studio kit for ages, but I haven't got to the stage of selling yet, but I really should, direct that money into other gear. But can I do it?