Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #46
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Some members may recall the discussions here that followed Photokina 2016.

An early thread was started on September 19, 2016, entitled "Nothing New at Photokina!??!" : Nothing New at Photokina!??! - PentaxForums.com

Amongst much angst, questions, and speculation from members that characterized the thread, PF member asahi man reported several interesting findings about a week later (post 316): Nothing New at Photokina!??! - Page 22 - PentaxForums.com

One of the main topics of concern throughout the thread was the 'K-3 successor'. Photokina revealed no concrete insight from Ricoh, while asahi man's well-received report alluded to something in the works and suggested that folks watch for news at CP+ in 2017. Keep in mind that Ricoh introduced the K-1 and several lenses in 2016, so they were not really expected to have a strong showing at Photokina that year. Still, the lack of any news on the K-3 'replacement' was unsettling.

This thread was alive for several months, prompting more than 700 posts. Then, Ricoh surprised everyone with their announcement of the KP on January 25th 2017. Preliminary 'leaks' had appeared only a day earlier.

So -- nothing at Photokina 2016, but a total surprise four months later.

In the context of this history, I wonder what the next 4-6 months might reveal.
From all what I have heard and read we might see at least a completely new high-end APS-C body and three lenses in 2019 (the wide angle APS-C, 85mm FF, 70-200 f/4 FF). Add the GRiii and that wouldn't be bad for one year.

Maybe plus an additional anniversary model, or perhaps the APS-C body will be that one? I have no idea.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
I agree. Remember that good video would also require a complete overhaul of the AF system, ideally some kind of tracking system. Can Pentax do this? I'm sure they can... but will they? Let's see.
I think there'll be no complete overhaul of the AF system. Too expensive. They'll point us to the new lenses which improve the AF to a pretty good level.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ralph Quote
Since 2019 marks the 100th anniversary of Asahi Optical Company and Ricoh is planning to celebrate this world wide through various events, it appears they (Ricoh) is saving everything for 2019. Hopefully the 100th year anniversary will bring many surprises !?
That's my thought also and I think that could be a good strategy. Let others fire off their new stuff at Photokina and then get some attention by marketing the 100th anniversary with some new products.

Last edited by sbh; 10-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.
10-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Crop mode on the K-1 is 16mp - I wonder how many users aren't willing to go back to that from 24mp.
If I'm not mistaken , your K30 has 16Mp, as you were referring to yourself being limited by the equipment you know.
10-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If I'm not mistaken , your K30 has 16Mp, as you were referring to yourself being limited by the equipment you know.
When I've talked about equipment limitations of the K-30, I've been referring to ISO limitation. 16mp is plenty for me.
10-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
He needs to learn to take the right moment to catch his frame instead of praying for a camera that maybe bring his frame.
Totally disagree here. Actually, I myself am not a spray and pray shooter. I love nature photography and usually use single-shot mode. But there are certain times when a high framerate actually is a great feature to have. For example, birds in flight. Certain wing positions are much more photogenic than others. I would say I have pretty good hand-eye coordination but certain birds are actually very difficult to get in exactly the right position that you want when they are flying if you are just using single-shot mode. The same is true for birds landing on water. Here it's much easier to fire off a few shots and choose the best.

Just because people use automatic features of their camera doesn't mean they can't do it manually, or even that they should. What matters is the final shot, not how it was obtained.