Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 05:46 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Déjà vu Photokina 2016?

Some members may recall the discussions here that followed Photokina 2016.

An early thread was started on September 19, 2016, entitled "Nothing New at Photokina!??!" : Nothing New at Photokina!??! - PentaxForums.com

Amongst much angst, questions, and speculation from members that characterized the thread, PF member asahi man reported several interesting findings about a week later (post 316): Nothing New at Photokina!??! - Page 22 - PentaxForums.com

One of the main topics of concern throughout the thread was the 'K-3 successor'. Photokina revealed no concrete insight from Ricoh, while asahi man's well-received report alluded to something in the works and suggested that folks watch for news at CP+ in 2017. Keep in mind that Ricoh introduced the K-1 and several lenses in 2016, so they were not really expected to have a strong showing at Photokina that year. Still, the lack of any news on the K-3 'replacement' was unsettling.

This thread was alive for several months, prompting more than 700 posts. Then, Ricoh surprised everyone with their announcement of the KP on January 25th 2017. Preliminary 'leaks' had appeared only a day earlier.

So -- nothing at Photokina 2016, but a total surprise four months later.

In the context of this history, I wonder what the next 4-6 months might reveal.

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-29-2018 at 05:57 PM.
09-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I wonder what the next 4-6 months might reveal.
Lets hope theres "something"!
09-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Some members may recall the discussions here that followed Photokina 2016.

An early thread was started on September 19, 2016, entitled "Nothing New at Photokina!??!" : Nothing New at Photokina!??! - PentaxForums.com

Amongst much angst, questions, and speculation from members that characterized the thread, PF member asahi man reported several interesting findings about a week later (post 316): Nothing New at Photokina!??! - Page 22 - PentaxForums.com

One of the main topics of concern throughout the thread was the 'K-3 successor'. Photokina revealed no concrete insight from Ricoh, while asahi man's well-received report alluded to something in the works and suggested that folks watch for news at CP+ in 2017. Keep in mind that Ricoh introduced the K-1 and several lenses in 2016, so they were not really expected to have a strong showing at Photokina that year. Still, the lack of any news on the K-3 'replacement' was unsettling.

This thread was alive for several months, prompting more than 700 posts. Then, Ricoh surprised everyone with their announcement of the KP on January 25th 2017. Preliminary 'leaks' had appeared only a day earlier.

So -- nothing at Photokina 2016, but a total surprise four months later.

In the context of this history, I wonder what the next 4-6 months might reveal.
This scenario sounds much more plausible than anything else! Excellent research! Give yourself an ATTABOY
09-29-2018, 09:13 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing I don't understand is what Ricoh has to loose by keeping quiet. They have tons of users (here and elsewhere) ready to spend money on products. They have nothing new being released at the show, and they won't even talk about what's next. Perhaps they know their numbers better than we do- that's certainly a possibility- but from my perspective, it would be hard to blame anyone for looking elsewhere in the short term, or jumping ship altogether.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What if they announce the KP 2 in 4-6 months and still no K3 replacement? That would upset a lot of users I think.
09-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They keep cards close to chest. Maybe tooo close, and it's up to the point of frustration to many.
Or
May be they really don't have a new flagship under development right now until they can figure it out mirrorless or DSLR.
09-29-2018, 11:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess they are worried about announcing something and then not being able to deliver on time likely the lenses, and then being criticized for it. But not saying anything is not a great approach either.

09-30-2018, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think they are doing a scramble. Video was something they thought they could "ignore", but what comes with video is advancements that keep them competitive. Video requires EVF or at least LiveView and related data transfers and storage. There are so many technologies that have been ignored that it might be something incredibly difficult for the home office to assign internally. So, what I would do is take as much off-the-shelf hardware I have, re-use the K3 forms, build a new internal board, cram more into the same package, and give us a K3 III that is a Pentax video powerhouse. To me, that is the ONLY option they have to do in the next 6 months.

Pentax/Ricoh has been boxed into a corner by what has been announced in the last few weeks. From new MILC to Lens alliances...Pentax/Ricoh has to do SOMETHING...and do it fast.
09-30-2018, 01:28 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I think they are doing a scramble. Video was something they thought they could "ignore", but what comes with video is advancements that keep them competitive. Video requires EVF or at least LiveView and related data transfers and storage. There are so many technologies that have been ignored that it might be something incredibly difficult for the home office to assign internally. So, what I would do is take as much off-the-shelf hardware I have, re-use the K3 forms, build a new internal board, cram more into the same package, and give us a K3 III that is a Pentax video powerhouse. To me, that is the ONLY option they have to do in the next 6 months.

Pentax/Ricoh has been boxed into a corner by what has been announced in the last few weeks. From new MILC to Lens alliances...Pentax/Ricoh has to do SOMETHING...and do it fast.
I agree. Remember that good video would also require a complete overhaul of the AF system, ideally some kind of tracking system. Can Pentax do this? I'm sure they can... but will they? Let's see.
09-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is all happening next year, apparently
09-30-2018, 02:05 AM   #11
Banned

The thing with the photo of the report sitting there to me is:

They look like they just heard from the mother company that there won't be coming any cheque te clear the balance if they have another failure and loose money. That makes you sit on your fingers and don't move at all!
09-30-2018, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The thing with the photo of the report sitting there to me is:

They look like they just heard from the mother company that there won't be coming any cheque te clear the balance if they have another failure and loose money. That makes you sit on your fingers and don't move at all!
Which of the recent Pentax releases do you think have been failures and have lost money? I think a lot of their recent products have been fairly successful in the market. No one is finding too many faults with what has been released, except some obvious areas of weakness on the camera bodies.

The problem is not with what has been released, the problem is that so little has been released.
09-30-2018, 03:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

When people starts speculating about the reps' look, things are good - after all, there's no real reason to complain
09-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
The problem is not with what has been released, the problem is that so little has been released.
This is what I mean. They are just afraid for a faillure that they are in wait and see mode. Study the market thil hell freezes over. As they did with releasing the full-frame that could have happend and be succesfull in 2014 instead of waiting until 2016.
09-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Discontinuing your flagship APS-C without a replacement is ridiculous. A friend asked me if he should buy the K-3 II. I explained that it had been discontinued by Pentax and supposedly the replacement should be coming. I told him that I would wait for the replacement or look at other brands and mounts specifically Micro 4/3.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone Micro 4/3 for size and weight plus the crop factor. Plus Micro 4/3 had many of the features that drew me to Pentax. I would then purchase a full frame later when I needed to shoot wider and higher resolution. Skipping APS-C entirely.

It angers me. Pentax IMHO is the best value out there. But it seems like they don’t care about those who support them. If they monitor this forum they would know that everything in Pentax land is far from wonderful. With the market dwindling I would think they would realize you can’t afford to lose longtime customers.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-30-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Language.