Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #1

How do you deal with people looks?

While i come from this other post i feel like my question is not exactly the same.

Sometimes i just go down the street and start doing my own things, maybe streets, props, cars, whatever i can see kind of apealing. I can come up with things like this:

My issue, and i guess i'm not alone, is that just below the background sign, there was a couple of people that was like making fun of me taking a photo to a traffic light. It's okay, i may understand their point, but as a person with social issues i feel kind of bad, and here comes my question;

How you deal with people looks?

I know it sounds stupid but i kind of feel bad with that things and i wanted to ask you, as i guess i'm not alone on this.

10-01-2018, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Smile at them and say "Yeah, I know, I'm kind of strange. Can I take your picture?" You get all kinds of great street pics like that.

But if you can't quite work up to that, remember you're a member of Pentax Forums so you are not alone.
10-01-2018, 05:31 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two ways I know of, and both work quite well.

The classic method is to simply ignore them and they will go away.

Then there’s the one I like and have implemented more in recent years. Engage them in pleasant conversation. Something like a simple wave and a “how are you doing today?” They either walk away, or will start talking to you, which also opens up the possibility of getting a quick street portrait now and then.
10-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
Smile at them and say "Yeah, I know, I'm kind of strange. Can I take your picture?" You get all kinds of great street pics like that.

But if you can't quite work up to that, remember you're a member of Pentax Forums so you are not alone.
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
There are two ways I know of, and both work quite well.

The classic method is to simply ignore them and they will go away.

Then there’s the one I like and have implemented more in recent years. Engage them in pleasant conversation. Something like a simple wave and a “how are you doing today?” They either walk away, or will start talking to you, which also opens up the possibility of getting a quick street portrait now and then.
Yeah, I always try to avoid contact, as doesn't usually turn out productive and my "ghosts" attack me, and while i successfully go away with it, it still burns inside as things feel way off and i tend to blame it all on me.
To clarify, is not like people is always insulting me or whatever, but you know better than most, that a single look says way more than a book.

10-01-2018, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Some stranger insulting me? That makes them a bully. I'd probably insult them back. "The light is more photogenic than your face."

Yeah, I'm a New Yorker One rule is don't talk to strangers. When breaking that rule, the next rule is be prepared for an interesting conversation.
10-01-2018, 05:44 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
How you deal with people looks?

I know it sounds stupid but i kind of feel bad with that things and i wanted to ask you, as i guess i'm not alone on this.
It doesn't sound stupid.

Maybe this is an age thing... I'm fast approaching 50... But I truly don't care what anyone thinks of me any more. I appreciate well wishes, compliments, support and solidarity, but - without wanting to make light of those or devalue them - I don't need any of that. I used to... But I think at some point I forgave or accepted my idiosyncrasies and failings, figuring that life was too short to worry about them. I think that's partly down to age. By today's standards, I'm only "middle aged", but at best I'm in the second half of my existence and more likely the final third Life's too short to worry about what others think of you, or to take yourself too seriously. Just do what you do and, so long as it doesn't harm others, enjoy it. If someone laughs at you, laugh with them or ignore it
10-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Some stranger insulting me? That makes them a bully. I'd probably insult them back. "The light is more photogenic than your face."

Yeah, I'm a New Yorker One rule is don't talk to strangers. When breaking that rule, the next rule is be prepared for an interesting conversation.
Would love an interesting conversation with someone at 3AM, but here is just not possible, at least not where i live. The only time i talked someone while i was doing astro, was on a side of a road while someone almost crashed, just went there to ask if they were okay...and that's al the talking i had on over a year

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 05:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It doesn't sound stupid.

Maybe this is an age thing... I'm fast approaching 50... But I truly don't care what anyone thinks of me any more. I appreciate well wishes, compliments, support and solidarity, but - without wanting to make light of those or devalue them - I don't need any of that. I used to... But I think at some point I forgave or accepted my idiosyncrasies and failings, figuring that life was too short to worry about them. I think that's partly down to age. By today's standards, I'm only "middle aged", but at best I'm in the second half of my existence and more likely the final third Life's too short to worry about what others think of you, or to take yourself too seriously. Just do what you do and, so long as it doesn't harm others, enjoy it
Could be, i'm just 20 and as said, i'm not any good with people in general. Heck, i'm not even good at taking photof of my girlfriend! but yeah, i took very seriously what people says, maybe in part of my insistence about improving at whatever i do, and i just keep worrying by simple things.

10-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually ignore when people looking at me during take a photo. But I don’t remember see people here, Japan laugh / making fun of anyone taking photo. It is a lot of people taking photo here, many with huge lenses and tripod. So my experience will be difference than you.
10-01-2018, 06:00 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would love an interesting conversation with someone at 3AM, but here is just not possible, at least not where i live. The only time i talked someone while i was doing astro, was on a side of a road while someone almost crashed, just went there to ask if they were okay...and that's al the talking i had on over a year

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 05:50 PM ----------

Could be, i'm just 20 and as said, i'm not any good with people in general. Heck, i'm not even good at taking photof of my girlfriend! but yeah, i took very seriously what people says, maybe in part of my insistence about improving at whatever i do, and i just keep worrying by simple things.
All of that changes with age and experience. At 19 I packed what I could fit into my Honda Prelude and drove 2000 miles to visit a friend, the only person I knew here. I ended up staying the better part of 25 years and built two successful businesses. At 40 I shut both down and went to the police academy. I’ve been a Florida Deputy Sheriff for the past 3 years and am having the time of my life.

That being said, I’ve heard someone say just about anything you can imagine in these past 3 years. And, my job now is completely person to person based, so I have no trouble speaking my mind in or out of a uniform (much to my wife’s chagrin at times).

Just remember, everyone is a stranger at some point and you may never see that person again, what have you to lose by saying something?
10-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand. But uninformed criticism from others is merely those people showing their insecurities. It's to be pitied, if anything

Bear this in mind:

Everybody, without exception, looks in the mirror and wishes they saw something different and / or better - especially naked Think of that next time someone points at or makes fun of you
10-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Just remember, everyone is a stranger at some point and you may never see that person again, what have you to lose by saying something?
That's kind of the issue, people thinks that, spits whatever can go across their brain to their mouth without processing it first, and there we go, fastest way to have me like go away pls don't do me anything bad
Seems completely the thing about the age. By the way, i look back at 5 years ago and things improved a lot (i even considered suicide as part of my dark path to today, as well as my girlfriend tried at it's own before we were anything) so i always take that with me, as i had the opportunity to see that the worst damage i could take was the damage i could do myself.

However, it's still hard to deal with morons that judge you just for devoloping your hobby so whenever i pack my camera, unfortunately i always pack a little of fear about "who will be the next"

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 06:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I understand. But uninformed criticism from others is merely those people showing their insecurities. It's to be pitied, if anything

Bear this in mind:

Everybody, without exception, looks in the mirror and wishes they saw something different and / or better - especially naked Think of that next time someone points at or makes fun of you
Don't make me look at the mirror yeah, i had to deal with those insecure people and kind of relieved, but it relieved me because i knew i was right, back in the wild school. With an stranger is like...i don't know him, his life could be perfect (which i doubt if he needs to abuse others) but i can't really say "you have this issue" so i just think about me.

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 06:19 PM ----------

Need to say, thanks.

I love to express myself where i feel confortable with it.
10-01-2018, 06:33 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I always try to avoid contact, as doesn't usually turn out productive and my "ghosts" attack me, and while i successfully go away with it, it still burns inside as things feel way off and i tend to blame it all on me.
To clarify, is not like people is always insulting me or whatever, but you know better than most, that a single look says way more than a book.
So first off, I really like that picture. It's a unique perspective of something that I take for granted everyday. But you've caught it in a compelling and unique way. And that's great!

So you know you have an eye for capturing good photos that you will appreciate. If others like your work too, that's icing. But the important bit is that you're creating things that you like, that you think have potential of being compelling. Your desire to create should be something that you embrace. So it doesn't matter that someone else doesn't understand what you see, it matters only what you see and what you hope to create.

Perhaps at some point, someone will ask what you see and will try to understand. Or maybe someone will see the finished product hanging on a wall or on some random forum and say, "Never looked at that this way before, but it's pretty cool." You don't necessarily need this validation, but sometimes it's nice to share a feeling with someone else. Especially with people who share the same hobby as you, or even better, have the same aesthetic as you.

But eventually you'll get to a point where you will KNOW what you love about photography and that it's about what you love and what you strive for. And that will be enough to not care what other people don't understand. I used to get pretty self conscious about snapping random things, but now that I've got a pocket full of images that I enjoy every time I see them, I've affirmed that I am a photographer and that's what I do. It doesn't harm anyone and it helps me value my life. That's it, that's all.
10-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Another point I want to make here which might help.
Go out with some friends; go out with someone with the same passion. I used to think I enjoy shoot alone, but after meet some people (total stranger but share same photography passion) I thing I actuary enjoy it, and I learn a lot shooting with them. It doesn’t need to be a Pentax user. Most people I meet came from Instagram using all kind of camera and brand. They contact me when they come to Tokyo, and I show them around town. I will contact them when I go to their town too.
10-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Depends on the situation in my case. I have the same issue, as far as people goes. Sometimes ill ignore them, sometimes i look back and just shrug my shoulders, other times it will turn into a conversation of some sort. If for whatever reason someone asks what im doing when taking pictures, i just say streets/people/locations change and i just want to document what a certain point in time looks like.

10-01-2018, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is easy to say ignore them. I'd do that, I've been a cocky sob for years. I am mellower now with age, but like many of my age I don't give a rat's butt what strangers think of me.

That said, I'm not you. From what you describe let me say that that sounds awful. I can empathize and I imagine that would really put you off. I have friends with social anxiety and I understand it isn't easy to move past it.

What I have seen that helps is good positive interaction with people who share a common interest. My suggestion is to join the "daily in" or "single in" group(s) and start developing a social interaction with positive feedback about your photos. The example you posted was excellent, it really presents a mundane subject in a unique perspective and works well.

Eventually with enough supportive community feedback you might feel like interacting. You can break the ice by saying you have challenged yourself to make one shot a day and you get tired of shooting the same things, or really engage them. But that day isn't today. Today be happy that at least some of us appreciate the quirky perspective needed to take that shot.