Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Could anyone recommend a good set of JIS screwdrivers and spanner?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've got a few fungus infected lenses I'd like to (attempt to) repair, but I've never had the tools to do so. I've decided that I'm sick of neglecting these things and would love to give it a shot.

Looking for tools you guys have had success with

10-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
amazon.com: Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (NEW 3rd. Gen): Home Improvement?tag=pentaxforums-20&
10-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you might want to check out this thread:

" Cross-head screws - a caution "

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/119344-c...ml#post1233577

I ordered this set:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/JIS-Driver-Set/IF145-115-1

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.
10-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the following. I have used it to repair a Pentax AF360FGZ flash. It has a large assortment of precision screwdriver tips and it worked really nicely for me. I am not sure if it is classified as JIS, but it works great.

Precision Screwdriver Set - 33 Piece

It also has a nice extension and magnifying glass along with the screwdriver handle.

10-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you might want to check out this thread:

" Cross-head screws - a caution "

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

I ordered this set:

JIS Driver Set - iFixit
I love ifixit, didn't know they had a jis set. Thanks!
10-04-2018, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #6

I like the Moody Tools drivers. Made in the USA with a variety of handle styles and lifetime warranty. Don't know about spanners. Reviews on the most common ones are all over the place.

You can find Moody Tools on Amazon, eBay, Micro-tools.com or their own website.

Micro Tools has a selection of spanners from very expensive Japanese ones on down to budget prices.

Micro-Tools
Welcome to Moody Tools
10-04-2018, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #7

What you need is JIS standard screwdrivers. Do not try to use Phillips ones, because they will mutilate your screws, possibly to the point where you can't undo them. I have a couple of Vessel brand screwdrivers, in the 00 and 000 sizes. (I think) They are very good but not expensive; about £3.50 each. Vessel say that their drivers are not to JIS standard, but made to a standard that exceeds that. What matters is that they fit and work with you, not against you.

Anybody who rides an old Japanese bike will tell you that the 'Phillips' screws on the bike are made of poor metal, which is why they soon get mangled. What's actually happening is that they are using the wrong screwdriver type; a Phillips, in a JIS screw head.

Incidentally I also have a set of six Facom flat bladed screwdrivers in blade widths of 0.8 to 2.5mm, perhaps not much use to you, but good for some older cameras. They were about £23 for the set. Sets of cheap ones go for a few quid, die young, and mutilate your screws. The Facom ones don't.

I have no idea if you can get these drivers in the USA.

10-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for the iFixIt set. I've been using mine for a few months now and it's superb. Far better than the previous ones I was using. It comes with J1, 0, 00 and 000 bits, as well as a wide range of other bits for just about every piece of gear you're likely to encounter. The bits are nice and strong, and the handle is wide enough to allow a decent grip and torque.

I posted about the set here:

Your latest acquisition - Page 830 - PentaxForums.com
10-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a set of the Hozan JIS drivers also. I picked up the 5 piece set that includes a very long "standard" size that might be useful if you have one of those old vintage Japanese motorcycles too - utterly worthless for your camera though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F63WI8?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
What JIS sizes are most regularly required for lenses? I have a Pentax M 135mm and an M 50mm I. Wed to clean.
04-28-2019, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
What JIS sizes are most regularly required for lenses? I have a Pentax M 135mm and an M 50mm I. Wed to clean.
#000, #00 and #0 will cover 99% of your needs. It doesn't harm to have a #1 as well, but I think you're unlikely to need one...
04-29-2019, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I bought on ebay a set of Vessel JIS drivers and blade drivers for under $12, and then the other two small missing JIS drivers for $6 each.
They're very nice, and cheap for Japanese made.
04-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Struggling to find a set with a P000 JIS driver. P0 and P00 very common.
04-29-2019, 01:58 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll once more recommend the iFixit kit with interchangeable bits. It includes #000, #00, #0 and #1 JIS bits and many, many more... way more than you'll likely ever need, for almost every piece of precision / electronic equipment you'll ever own. But... once you own it, you'll start finding uses for many of the other bits. And it's not that much more expensive than a set of dedicated JIS screwdrivers, yet you get all the other bits too. Plus, the handle is fantastic, offering lots of grip and leverage. Overall, it's a very high quality kit.

It's available on Amazon UK:

iFixit 64 Bit Driver Kit precision aluminum screwdriver long bits extension laptop macbook iPhone smartphone tablet repair: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I think I found it slightly cheaper elsewhere, so look around for the best deal if you wish...
04-30-2019, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

This has 00 and 0 VESSEL precision screwdriver set TD-56 [Japan Import] | eBay

And get 000, and 0000 individually here:
VESSEL JIS Precision Screwdriver TD-51 +/- SET or SINGLE 12 pcs JAPAN F/S | eBay

Don't be lured by interchangeability, with these tiny drivers fixed ones are best.