Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 803
Collection services

Hi
I am thinking of buying a lens on ebay but the seller won't post and I can't find out if he will box it, so I need a courier/collection service who also packs. Has anyone got any recommendations? It will be travelling from Milton Keynes to Lancaster uk

10-13-2018, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,805
I've no suggestion on a collection service. Except to say that if you have an ebay seller who will not post and is not responsive enough to let you know if he can box it I would use extreme caution in dealing with them. Unless the lens is unobtainable anywhere else I would not risk my money.

And please do not depend on ebay protecting you if the deal goes bad. I can tell you from experience that they will not.
10-13-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 902
The ebay seller probably also has a "No returns" policy stated in his listing - but that's not enforceable in the EU &UK as it's against the Consumer Protection Act, and ebay can help and ensure you get a refund if he won't take back goods (faulty, damaged in transit, or not), but that takes time and patience to achieve.

Personally, I wouldn't knowingly buy anything from a seller like that!

OTOH, some goods are too big/heavy/low value to be worth the cost of posting, and in such cases, "Collection only" seems perfectly reasonable (not for a lens, unless it's 2000mm monster, though!).
10-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 803
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've no suggestion on a collection service. Except to say that if you have an ebay seller who will not post and is not responsive enough to let you know if he can box it I would use extreme caution in dealing with them. Unless the lens is unobtainable anywhere else I would not risk my money.

And please do not depend on ebay protecting you if the deal goes bad. I can tell you from experience that they will not.
Probably wise thanks. If he contacts me that's fine, if not I will keep looking

10-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Shelton, CT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 621
I’d pass on the deal. Not worth the risk or hassle. It’s sometimes best to wait for the next deal.
10-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,493
I tend to agree with others. Unless it's a particularly large, valuable and/or delicate item, any seller who won't take the trouble to package and send the item by an insured postal or courier service probably isn't worth dealing with.

Often, those who won't post will ask for cash payment when you collect. That's an additional problem, as you no longer have payment protection from PayPal or your credit card provider...
10-13-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 803
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I tend to agree with others. Unless it's a particularly large, valuable and/or delicate item, any seller who won't take the trouble to package and send the item by an insured postal or courier service probably isn't worth dealing with.

Often, those who won't post will ask for cash payment when you collect. That's an additional problem, as you no longer have payment protection from PayPal or your credit card provider...
Oh, b**ger that! It is a wr 55-300mm which I want but can't afford at the moment. I will just have to watch market place.

I would settle for the HD........

Anyone?.....
10-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,833
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I would settle for the HD........Anyone?.....
Put a wanted ad, in the wanted section here. Someone will come to your aid.

10-13-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,493
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Oh, b**ger that! It is a wr 55-300mm which I want but can't afford at the moment. I will just have to watch market place.

I would settle for the HD........

Anyone?.....
I just saw the ad on eBay UK for the lens you were interested in. Non-original hood, no soft carrying case or box. The box wouldn't bother me, but the hood and carrying case are costly to replace, and not having them affects resale value. They're both useful and very much worth having.

Current price new for the HD non-PLM version is 299 at most of the UK sellers. Black Friday is coming up in November. I'd be tempted to hold out until then and see what Amazon, SRS, WEX, Bristol Cameras, and others might offer. I've seen it sell for as little as 199 at SRS in the past (though that was a little while back). In fact, I think that's what I paid for mine... I can't remember, but that sounds about right. I know I paid less than 250...
10-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 902
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just saw the ad on eBay UK for the lens you were interested in. Non-original hood, no soft carrying case or box. The box wouldn't bother me, but the hood and carrying case are costly to replace, and not having them affects resale value. They're both useful and very much worth having.

Current price new for the HD non-PLM version is 299 at most of the UK sellers. Black Friday is coming up in November. I'd be tempted to hold out until then and see what Amazon, SRS, WEX, Bristol Cameras, and others might offer. I've seen it sell for as little as 199 at SRS in the past (though that was a little while back). In fact, I think that's what I paid for mine... I can't remember, but that sounds about right. I know I paid less than 250...
If not Black Friday then wait for the Xmas sales, and I think I still have a spare hood for the original 55-300!
PS: you could always post a Wanted ad on the UK forum.
10-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,493
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
PS: you could always post a Wanted ad on the UK forum.
That's the way to do it
10-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 803
Original Poster
There's a UK forum?
10-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 902
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
There's a UK forum?
You didn't know? Pentax Forums - Pentax User Photography Forums
10-13-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,493
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's the way to do it
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
There's a UK forum?
I thought @jeallen01 was referring to our Marketplace

You could always post in our Wanted section and include "UK only" in the title

FYI, PentaxUser isn't affiliated with PentaxForums... But it might be a useful place to look for locally-advertised equipment.
10-13-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 902
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I thought @jeallen01 was referring to our Marketplace

You could always post in our Wanted section and include "UK only" in the title

FYI, PentaxUser isn't affiliated with PentaxForums... But it might be a useful place to look for locally-advertised equipment.
Quite so, and didn't mean to "cause offence" (although I think he might get more responses from "there" - not from me , as I sold my very original 55-300 some months ago)

Last edited by jeallen01; 10-13-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
? re: printing services in USA wgosma Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 13 03-29-2018 02:44 PM
Mount Conversion Services for PHOTO lenses Pentax_WA Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 03-26-2018 01:43 PM
Amazon lies about their delivery services... SSGGeezer General Talk 3 11-29-2017 11:30 PM
Film Developing and Scanning Services Frosty66 Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 9 04-04-2017 03:40 PM
Support Services in the USA mee Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-05-2016 03:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top