Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The eye of the beholder.

One Woman Photoshopped by 18 Countries: Beauty Standards Revealed

One Woman Photoshopped by 18 Countries: Beauty Standards Revealed

We've known this for a very long time. Interesting to see people exploring the information. There have been much more comprehensive studies where preference of different people within different countries were studied, as opposed to one person from each country.

10-17-2018, 11:55 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...

...and stinging pain is in the palm of the beeholder. (Spoken from experience!)
10-17-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...

...and stinging pain is in the palm of the beeholder. (Spoken from experience!)
I always wonder why I never get to look in the beholder's eye to see this aforementioned beauty.
10-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

anybody else notice that this article is three years old?

10-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ha ha ha! Much chuckling at that!
10-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
anybody else notice that this article is three years old?
Well then, I guess it must be out of date.
10-17-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting.

I must say, I find today's excessively-sensitive / social-media-driven angst generally very off-putting and counter-productive, but one of the good things to come out of it is the push-back on so-called "body shaming". Ever since I was a fairly young lad, I've found girls with a variety of body shapes and features physically attractive. Usually, it's the smile and eyes that do it for me (at least in terms of physical aspects).

The fashion industry has a lot to answer for in creating unhealthy trends in body size...

One obvious problem with stills photography is that it can be extremely difficult to capture someone's character in a photograph. We're mostly capturing an image of someone's physical presentation at a point in time, but unless both the subject and/or photographer are highly-skilled, the non-physical aspects are often lost. Which is a shame, as those are usually the most attractive and interesting elements

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-18-2018 at 11:37 PM.
10-17-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The eye of the beholder.
Hey Norm... where's the Scottish version, just so I know what I'm supposed to be looking for when oot and aboot.
10-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It is interesting. My first question was how much Photoshop do the photoshoppers think they can get away with. My second question is how much the model is seen as outside the culture and how does that change things? Next is if this assignment was pushed off onto an intern.
10-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Due to the heavy English influence of the site that has every country ever claimed by England as just parts of the British Empire, Scotland and Canada are not represented. Although a lot of people lump us in with Americans, not English. But I have to admit, I liked the U.S.A. version above best. But I was born in Chicago so I have an excuse. So, why not tell us which one you like so we know how to appeal to your Scottish sensibilities?

---------- Post added 10-17-18 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Hey Norm... where's the Scottish version, just so I know what I'm supposed to be looking for when oot and aboot.
Due to the heavy English influence that continues to this day that has every country ever claimed by England as just parts of the British Empire, Scotland and Canada are not represented. Although a lot of people lump us in with Americans, not English. But I have to admit, I liked the U.S.A. version above best. But I was born in Chicago so I have an excuse. So, why not tell us which one you like so we know how to appeal to your Scottish sensibilities?
10-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone without a deep-fried Mars bar in their mouth would be a good starting point
10-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
So, why not tell us which one you like so we know how to appeal to your Scottish sensibilities?
I don't think I would cast out on a rainy night, a more Redheaded version of the Columbia lassie and she's absolutely nothing like Lady Kerrowdown at all.
10-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think I would cast out on a rainy night, a more Redheaded version of the Columbia lassie and she's absolutely nothing like Lady Kerrowdown at all.
So what you're saying is Lady Kerrowdown might look askance at you for declaring any of them your favourite?

I understand your reluctance to commit then.
10-17-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Anyone without a deep-fried Mars bar in their mouth would be a good starting point
Nah that's a "Wegie" (Glaswegian) thing, nae at a' wot us cultured Highlanders ur efter.
10-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand your reluctance to commit then
"Ah dinnae think ah wid cast oot oan a rainy nicht, a mair redheaded version o' th' columbia lassie" wis pretty decisive.