Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I didn't realise there was any other
Aye a recent remake in 2016, with just about every Scottish actor or actress who's still alive in it.

10-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye a recent remake in 2016, with just about every Scottish actor or actress who's still alive in it.
Oh no, that won't do at all

I like the '49 version. I saw it double-billed with another Ealing production, "The Maggie" (1954) which is just as delightful. In fact, I think I'll have to get hold of them on DVD or Amazon Prime and watch them both again
10-17-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Outer Hebrides, I believe. Keep your eye out

I'm I the only one to look at that photo and think of Led Zepp's "Stairway to Heaven"....?
Attached Images

10-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Scotland and Canada are not represented
The Canadian version: Heavy Canada Goose parka down to the knees; heavy Sorel Pac boots up to the knees; thick mittens with inner liner up to the elbows; and a Hudson's Bay toque covering most of the head. Good to go. Oh, don't forget the long scarf wrapped around neck and face.

10-17-2018, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #35
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The Canadian version: Heavy Canada Goose parka down to the knees; heavy Sorel Pac boots up to the knees; thick mittens with inner liner up to the elbows; and a Hudson's Bay toque covering most of the head. Good to go. Oh, don't forget the long scarf wrapped around neck and face.
Quote from "Pulp Fiction":

Winston Wolf:
"Move out of the sticks, gentlemen."

10-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quote from "Pulp Fiction":Winston Wolf: "Move out of the sticks, gentlemen."
Haha. I was describing the typical attire seen in the central business districts of our large cities. In November.
10-17-2018, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Outer Hebrides, I believe. Keep your eye out

So that's one of them He-brides, eh?

10-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a deep-fried Mars bar
A what?

Definitely an Irn Bru drinker.
10-18-2018, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Interesting.

I must say, I find today's snowflake / social-media-driven angst generally very off-putting and counter-productive, but one of the good things to come out of it is the push-back on so-called "body shaming". Ever since I was a fairly young lad, I've found girls with a variety of body shapes and features physically attractive. Usually, it's the smile and eyes that do it for me (at least in terms of physical aspects).

The fashion industry has a lot to answer for in creating unhealthy trends in body size...

One obvious problem with stills photography is that it can be extremely difficult to capture someone's character in a photograph. We're mostly capturing an image of someone's physical presentation at a point in time, but unless both the subject and/or photographer are highly-skilled, the non-physical aspects are often lost. Which is a shame, as those are usually the most attractive and interesting elements
And bimbo photography is well past its sell-by date.
10-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I must say, I find today's snowflake / social-media-driven angst generally very off-putting and counter-productive
I thought we were supposed to avoid politics on here? "Snowflake" seems to be exclusively used in a political manner where I come from.

One obvious problem with stills photography is that it can be extremely difficult to capture someone's character in a photograph. We're mostly capturing an image of someone's physical presentation at a point in time, but unless both the subject and/or photographer are highly-skilled, the non-physical aspects are often lost. Which is a shame, as those are usually the most attractive and interesting elements
I have noticed that certain peoples' personality (let alone a good photo of them) is hard to capture in a still image. These are people that move around a lot, and their personality is embodied by their motions and behavior. The difficulty is not in freezing the motion, but catching them in a decent moment that doesn't result in a totally weird expression because they were in the middle of saying something or moving their head around. (I should point out that I am talking about candid photos, which is mostly what I do.)
10-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I thought we were supposed to avoid politics on here? "Snowflake" seems to be exclusively used in a political manner where I come from.
In my neck of the woods, the term "Snowflake" relates to excessive and unreasonable sensitivity and "political correctness" - views, language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society. Not the same thing as "politics"... you'll never catch me discussing that

But I'll happily edit or delete my message if you feel I was discussing politics

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-18-2018 at 02:12 PM.
10-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Talking about capturing a personality and politics. I love seeing the photo and article. The personality of the photo matches the tone of the article.
Hitchcock mastered this stuff and photojournalism ran with it.
A thread transposing pictures and articles with the same person would be interesting and the meme culture kind of does this.
10-18-2018, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

In my neck of the woods, the term "Snowflake" relates to excessive and unreasonable sensitivity and "political correctness"
Same here on this side of the pond, but it is heavily ingrained into political speech/disputes and/or taking political sides. Not a big deal in your usage, but I though you might like to know.
10-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Same here on this side of the pond, but it is heavily ingrained into political speech/disputes and/or taking political sides. Not a big deal in your usage, but I though you might like to know.
Thanks for that. Just goes to show how things can have subtly different meanings in different locations I've edited my original post