Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2018, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If they'd make it I'd buy it. As it is now when I get a new body I run thru the menu once and set everything up the way I need it. After that the camera will stay in Av or M for the rest of it's life. If I want video, that's what the Camcorders for. It's not that I refuse to learn or adapt, I'm an old geek and enjoy Tech, I've just developed a Ritual when shooting that I enjoy as much as the end product.

10-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #17

From experience with my own family, if they want a camera for "better pictures", they buy an expensive DSLR, keep the kit lens, leave it on Auto, and use the camera flash nearly every time. That if often their idea of a nice "no frills" camera. I know my family would never pay for a simple camera when their phone is simple enough. No, they'll shell out good money for a DSLR with lots of buzzwords but never use a fraction of the features they paid for.
10-19-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
Do you think there is a market for a simpler camera? with less controls? let's say a digital version of LX?
Yes. I spend my time in front of a computer during my day job. Last thing I want to do is to spend my free time interfacing with another computer, which digital cameras have become, in my opinion. I don't want to deal with firmware updates, a ton of buttons to features I don't want or use, 9 layers of menus to get at features I do want, futzing with a Bluetooth pairing that won't connect. That's part of why I jumped ship a few years ago and went back to analog film virtually 100% of the time. I sold my K100D, my Fuji X70 is used pretty much as a light meter now, and I keep my Q on reserve to do some very specialized stuff. I still scan, digitize, and catalog my negatives in Lightroom. So I haven't gone totally with an analog workflow.

But to get at your original question... I think there's a market. And the supply is already here. It's just not digital.
10-19-2018, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #19

I know friends and families who were and are really good photographers with film cameras but just never felt confident with digital cameras.
Those film cameras are still available, and at very good prices, too! Just find a lab that returns high quality scans with your processed film and you will have some very nice digital files from the camera you prefer using.

10-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lot of people here need to look at the Ricoh GR.
10-19-2018, 10:03 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you agree that cameras have become extremely complicated?
I, for one enjoy complicated. Choice of options is a good thing. With the abundance of websites, manuals, and videos detailing exactly how to use
the many features and menus, it becomes quite easy to master any electronic device.

Read the manual, and make use of the many resources of this great website.
10-19-2018, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
If they'd make it I'd buy it. As it is now when I get a new body I run thru the menu once and set everything up the way I need it. After that the camera will stay in Av or M for the rest of it's life. If I want video, that's what the Camcorders for. It's not that I refuse to learn or adapt, I'm an old geek and enjoy Tech, I've just developed a Ritual when shooting that I enjoy as much as the end product.
And the bolded part is the problem. You set up all these settings then forget them after they're the way you want. On a super-simple camera those settings don't exist. Those choices were made by the engineers who designed the camera. If they're not the way you like it, well, too bad.

---------- Post added 10-19-18 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
I, for one enjoy complicated. Choice of options is a good thing. With the abundance of websites, manuals, and videos detailing exactly how to use
the many features and menus, it becomes quite easy to master any electronic device.

Read the manual, and make use of the many resources of this great website.
One person's complicated is another's configurable. I'd rather make the choices on what features to use than leave it up to someone else.

10-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Do you think there is a market for a simpler camera? with less controls? let's say a digital version of LX?
No, definitely not. Especially since you can get a DSLR and ignore most of the features because of the physical controls, or use an Google Pixel 3.
10-19-2018, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
No, definitely not. Especially since you can get a DSLR and ignore most of the features because of the physical controls, or use an Google Pixel 3.
I think it's pretty clear that for a huge percentage of people who want a simple camera a smartphone is the answer. Almost everyone has one already, and it doesn't get much simpler than tapping the camera icon, then tapping the shutter button.
10-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
If I want video, that's what the Camcorders for.
True, but even camcorders are now replaced by smart phones. As I teach both photography and video, I agree camcorders are easier to use than DSLRs, but DSLRs create better videos because:

a) No motorized zoom function=no ugly zooming in the videos.
b) Less effective AF=more manual focusing without the focus searching in the video.
c) Better optics and low light capability=better bokeh with larger apertures and sensors.

Most photographers never use the video function on their DSLRs and most videographers rarely use the still photo function on their DSLRs, but as much as I like the idea of the Nikon Df, I think it would bother me if my DSLR had no video capability. (I'm a flip phone convertee that can't give up my smart phone. Free light meter apps!!!)
10-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
And the bolded part is the problem. You set up all these settings then forget them after they're the way you want. On a super-simple camera those settings don't exist. Those choices were made by the engineers who designed the camera. If they're not the way you like it, well, too bad.
Have to disagree, OP was talking LX not an HP Photosmart. LX simple would allow for some settings changes. Color space, since digi WB, and maybe I wouldn't have to select....Use Aperture ring..........
10-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those who yearn for simplicity are helping stock aged care homes with dementia sufferers. Complexity is nothing more than a lot of simple things assembled in one place, and it’s fairly well-established that having to work hard to learn something is actually good for your brain. Needless over-complication, though, is quite another thing.
10-19-2018, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Those who yearn for simplicity are helping stock aged care homes with dementia sufferers. Complexity is nothing more than a lot of simple things assembled in one place, and it’s fairly well-established that having to work hard to learn something is actually good for your brain.
On the contrary, many use the modern camera mainly point and shoot from what I can gather. Having a manual only camera and no screen, the brain will have to work hard to have the camera record pleasing images
10-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
On the contrary, many use the modern camera mainly point and shoot from what I can gather. Having a manual only camera and no screen, the brain will have to work hard to have the camera record pleasing images
...which by definition isn’t simplicity.
10-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I don't mind complex, my problem at my age is remembering so I need to carry the camera's manual with me just in case.