Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They’re 32psi tires. If the variance between any of the 4 tires exceeds 1 psi the system alerts and direct to check. Mini says this is normal.
I drove a Mini for 11 years and I don't think the tire pressure system went off until I was down to 25 or lower. Maybe they "improved" it since 2004.

My Mini was a somewhat simpler car. Probably the last daily driver I'll own without a LCD screen, bluetooth, etc. Just the big speedo in the middle, a tach over the steering wheel and some toggle switches. I loved it.

10-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I drove a Mini for 11 years and I don't think the tire pressure system went off until I was down to 25 or lower. Maybe they "improved" it since 2004.

My Mini was a somewhat simpler car. Probably the last daily driver I'll own without a LCD screen, bluetooth, etc. Just the big speedo in the middle, a tach over the steering wheel and some toggle switches. I loved it.
They’re essentially small BMW’s now.

.:
10-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quit telling me to check my tire pressure!!
If the variance between any of the 4 tires exceeds 1 psi the system alerts and direct to check.
If your car is parked for long periods of time without moving (a few weeks) or if the temperature drops a lot while the car is parked, small variances in the TPMS sensors and the true inflation pressures will add up to push the system into giving you a low pressure warning. The 1 PSI variance in your owners manual is a ploy to prevent unneccesary trips to the dealer. In my experience, 25% as per ThorSanchez's comment is a worst case (and marginally acceptable) scenario, but unless certified and calibrated guages are used, you can't count on getting a reading with better than +/- 10% accuracy on a low pressure, low volume car tire, so TPMS needs to allow for much more than 1PSI variance. If you are frequently getting warnings and all of your tires (including the spare) are within 5PSI, there is something wrong with a sensor. You can tell your dealer that an internet expert told you so.
10-22-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Back to the original question...

I would seriously like dedicated top dials for ISO and Aperture and shooting mode and EV adjustments, same as my film cameras.. Those are my main uses, having multi-function dials causes you end of confusion and bad exposures.

I am becoming increasingly tired of finding out, my f-stop, or other setting has been accidentally changed during shooting because of an errant thumb or finger. It is to me absolutely insane, that my digital camera is so much harder to use than my film cameras.

10-23-2018, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
small variances in the TPMS sensors and the true inflation pressures will add up to push the system into giving you a low pressure warning.
None of the TPMS systems I know of use pressure sensors. The logistics of getting power to the sensors and the signal back to the car would make it unworkable. They all (AFAIK) use the ABS rotors to measure the wheel rotation speeds. An underinflated tyre has a smaller effective diameter, therefore rotates faster than the others. Fitting one tyre of a different size (or even just a different brand or wear level) can easily throw the system off.
10-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think if that is what you are after, going back to film is the answer.
Or some of those Leicas with just a few buttons if you can afford one.

---------- Post added 10-23-18 at 09:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I am becoming increasingly tired of finding out, my f-stop, or other setting has been accidentally changed during shooting because of an errant thumb or finger. It is to me absolutely insane, that my digital camera is so much harder to use than my film cameras.
I've (mostly) overcome this by setting user presets. If I need to get back to where I started I can just turn the camera off and back on to return to a known set of settings.
10-23-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is to me absolutely insane, that my digital camera is so much harder to use than my film cameras.
Really? My digital phone is way more complex than I remember analog ones being. Same goes for my digital TV...when I was a kid there was on/off and tuning and that's it, now there are a million settings. My (digital) PC has way more settings than my mum's typewriter, and as for my car...don't get me started on how many settings that has compared to my 1978 mini of yore which barely had adjustable seats.

I struggle to think of anything that has less features in modern digital form than in antique analog form.

10-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
They all (AFAIK) use the ABS rotors to measure the wheel rotation speeds.
That's what is known as indirect TPMS, which is "gaining market shares in the EU" but is a species of unicorn in North America. Automobiles manufactured for North America use direct TPMS, which has a sensor mounted inside the tire and is battery powered. The first generation of direct TPMS sensors were an integral unit with the valve, but corroded so fast they were quickly replaced with sealed units mounted to the well of the wheel. Incidentally, the TREAD Act of 2008 in the U.S. mandates that all new light vehicles "shall have a TPMS (direct or indirect) fitted which is capable of detecting when one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to all four tires, is 25% or more below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure (placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure specified in the standard, whichever is higher." Indirect TPMS is less accurate, but cheaper.

---------- Post added 10-23-18 at 12:40 PM ----------

I am becoming increasingly tired of finding out, my f-stop, or other setting has been accidentally changed during shooting because of an errant thumb or finger.
I just got in from a walk along the river with my camera, holding it with a hand strap, and I manage to inadvertently move the mode dial 5 times in half an hour. I don't think a simpler camera would help me much.
10-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Really? My digital phone is way more complex than I remember analog ones being. Same goes for my digital TV...when I was a kid there was on/off and tuning and that's it, now there are a million settings. My (digital) PC has way more settings than my mum's typewriter, and as for my car...don't get me started on how many settings that has compared to my 1978 mini of yore which barely had adjustable seats.

I struggle to think of anything that has less features in modern digital form than in antique analog form.
I remember my dad saying back in the60s that all cars got you where you were going. Companies were trying to compete on features not essential to the core purpose of the vehicles. Cameras have become the same. The three arts of exposure are Aperture, ISO and Shutter and EV adjustment, and you need a shutter release. Those are core features. The 2 second timer should be on the front of the camera, not buried somewhere in a menu.

The rest of it, you have to buy because they won't sell you a camera without it.

Given the number of raw shooters, there should be a market for a few raw shooting cameras that don't have all the built in filters, etc. I think of all that stuff as gimmickry. When I look through y menus, I would just love to be able to delete the ones I don't ever use. Or the ability to lock the camera on a group of settings and have it stay that way until I initiate a lock over ride. For my hands the cameras are poorly laid out. I change my selectable focus point with my thumb, I change my f-stop by accident. The back of the camera is a junk heap. I've had several times when I accidentally put my K-1 in movie mode and couldn't remember how to turn it off. Rendering my camera useless for the 5 minutes it took to figure it out. If you don't use this stuff, it just clutters things up and gets in the way. There is way to much on the exterior of current cameras that I never use and can't get rid of.

Last edited by normhead; 10-24-2018 at 05:48 AM.
10-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to the original question...

I would seriously like dedicated top dials for ISO and Aperture and shooting mode and EV adjustments, same as my film cameras.. Those are my main uses, having multi-function dials causes you end of confusion and bad exposures.

Why would having dedicated dials change your accidentally bumping settings? I seem to bump for Av into Tv all the time even though that is on a dedicated dial and it is on the left side where I am not usually moving my hand around a lot.

But I shoot a lot in Av mode with auto iso and so I am mostly paying attention to aperture only. I also have user modes created for a lot of different situations like action, pixel shift, astro photography and so on and those return to where they are supposed to if you flip off the camera and flip it back on.
10-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why would having dedicated dials change your accidentally bumping settings? I seem to bump for Av into Tv all the time even though that is on a dedicated dial and it is on the left side where I am not usually moving my hand around a lot.

But I shoot a lot in Av mode with auto iso and so I am mostly paying attention to aperture only. I also have user modes created for a lot of different situations like action, pixel shift, astro photography and so on and those return to where they are supposed to if you flip off the camera and flip it back on.
I don't care why. It happens with digital, it never happened with film. The ISO setting on film had a lock on it. You had to pull up on the dial to change it. You could bump it as much as you wanted. It never moved. And they were placed on the camera so it was unlikely to accidentally move them while handling the camera. I'm sharing a practical observation. Not a theoretical debating point.

I also shoot almost entirely in AV. So much so that I didn't need to be able to change the shooting mode on a top dial. I rarely change shooting modes, and when I do I have programmed user modes. For me, and I bet many others, the dial that lets you change modes is a wasted dial that causes more trouble than it's use warrants. It gets changed accidentally more than it gets change with purpose, often with disastrous consequences.

Last edited by normhead; 10-24-2018 at 07:16 AM.
10-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K-3ii has a mode dial lock mechanism. I guess the K-30 doesn't, and I'm not familiar with other cameras. For me that seems to keep the dial from moving when I don't want it to.
10-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm also an accidental settings bumper, especially in the winter with big gloves on (the mode lock on my k5iis was a joyous upgrade for me). Completely reconfigurable buttons and menus for the win I say!

For example, I'm in manual mode most of the time, and typically leave metering on "spot". Let me move metering selection to my pared down menu and repurpose the metering switch on my k5iis to three toggles - 1) All other buttons locked*. 2) All but the two e-dials locked*. 3) All buttons activated. This would be miraculous for -20C weather.

I don't think any manufacturer allows this level of customization yet, and I'm not sure why. It would be more work than adding another 'funhouse mirror' or 'cat ears' digital filter, but so much more useful.

* edit- I'd probably want the shutter release to still be active

Last edited by BrianR; 10-24-2018 at 08:02 AM.
10-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm also an accidental settings bumper, especially in the winter with big gloves on (the mode lock on my k5iis was a joyous upgrade for me). Completely reconfigurable buttons and menus for the win I say!

For example, I'm in manual mode most of the time, and typically leave metering on "spot". Let me move metering selection to my pared down menu and repurpose the metering switch on my k5iis to three toggles - 1) All other buttons locked. 2) All but the two e-dials locked. 3) All buttons activated. This would be miraculous for -20C weather.

I don't think any manufacturer allows this level of customization yet, and I'm not sure why. It would be more work than adding another 'funhouse mirror' or 'cat ears' digital filter, but so much more useful.
I can't believe how many times I look at the exif to post setting when I post picture. I think i was shooting at ƒ8, but my images are at ƒ7.1, ƒ8, and ƒ9 without me ever consciously changing the ƒ-stop. For an old film, manual shooter, this is simply unacceptab;le. I hate it and it's a constant source of irritation.

I guess in film days, I used to set the ISO when I put the camera, set it and forget it. Set the aperture on the lens, set if and forget it, and the shutter speed dial was out fo the way and hard enough to turn, it was never adjusted.

From my perspective, I want to set it and forget it. If everyone else need play with every setting all the time, that's fine. But my focus is always with my subject matter, not with my camera, set it and forget it is what works for me. I really dislike all current digital cameras. There are no minimalists among the current camera companies. Maybe this new Praktika K-1 will be the one.

I absolutely abhor having to check my camera all the time, to make sure I haven't accidentally charged my settings. To me, it's a serious design flaw.

Last edited by normhead; 10-24-2018 at 07:58 AM.
10-24-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't care why. It happens with digital, it never happened with film. The ISO setting on film had a lock on it. You had to pull up on the dial to change it. You could bump it as much as you wanted. It never moved. And they were placed on the camera so it was unlikely to accidentally move them while handling the camera. I'm sharing a practical observation. Not a theoretical debating point.

I also shoot almost entirely in AV. So much so that I didn't need to be able to change the shooting mode on a top dial. I rarely change shooting modes, and when I do I have programmed user modes. For me, and I bet many others, the dial that lets you change modes is a wasted dial that causes more trouble than it's use warrants. It gets changed accidentally more than it gets change with purpose, often with disastrous consequences.
Iso with film didn't change. It is actually a good thing (in my opinion) that you can change your iso between shots without taking film out of the camera and changing to a different one.

As for me, if I bumped something on a film camera and messed a setting up, I wouldn't necessarily know after the fact because there wasn't an EXIF forth coming and unless I noticed it at the time, I probably wouldn't after the fact. Doesn't mean it never happened.

As for other modes, I do mostly shoot in Av mode but there are plenty of times I want to drag the shutter and jump to Tv.

Pixel Shift requires other settings, that I use a user mode for...

I use Tav quite a bit when I am shooting action more. Regardless, I enjoy having multiple settings, but each to his own...