Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It would not be too hard to convert a film image into a modest megapixel digital image by scanning the film at high resolution
My Nikon LS-2000 scanner scans at 2700 ppi, which is much more resolution than an Instamatic 100 image {with its inexpensive plastic lens} has; downscaling to the size I posted here doesn't remove any noticeable detail. {I spend much more time processing Instamatic images than any other media I have}

10-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Interesting read, thanks for posting.
10-30-2018, 05:47 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The instamatic image is interesting on grounds other than as an example of the supposed superiority of film, for which it is singularly unsuited, and a silly, irrelevant premise to begin with.

Full disclosure: I only shoot film.
10-30-2018, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #64
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
The instamatic image is interesting on grounds other than as an example of the supposed superiority of film, for which it is singularly unsuited, and a silly, irrelevant premise to begin with.

Full disclosure: I only shoot film.
You've lost me, I'm afraid

What's the silly, irrelevant premise you're referring to, and who originated it in the thread? I'm not picking fault, just trying to understand the conversation

10-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #65
Pentaxian

You've lost me, I'm afraid

What's the silly, irrelevant premise you're referring to, and who originated it in the thread? I'm not picking fault, just trying to understand the conversation
Since you ask...

I really like this last photo... For me, it's head and shoulders better than the previous one. I love the natural look of it. Both photos are nice, but this last one has so much more going for it, IMHO
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is the far superior image. Film has a certain look that just makes this image shine.
10-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #66
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you ask...
Well, thanks for answering. I still don't understand why you'd describe the opinions of two members, offered constructively and courteously, to be a "silly, irrelevant premise". I can't speak for @Rondec but my own opinion was based on the aesthetic quality of the film image which I personally far prefer. I accept that your opinion is different, and I respect that... but your opinion doesn't make mine silly or irrelevant
10-30-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

Well, thanks for answering. I still don't understand why you'd describe the opinions of two members, offered constructively and courteously, to be a "silly, irrelevant premise". I can't speak for @Rondec but my own opinion was based on the aesthetic quality of the film image which I personally far prefer. I accept that your opinion is different, and I respect that... but your opinion doesn't make mine silly or irrelevant
Ah, it is the whole film vs. digital thing that I find silly and irrelevant (and pointless, and tedious, etc) to me, not your respective opinions.

Apologies for the miscommunication.

10-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #68
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, it is the whole film vs. digital thing that I find silly and irrelevant (and pointless, and tedious, etc) to me, not your respective opinions.

Apologies for the miscommunication.
OK, I've got it now!!

No apology necessary... It's a much a mis-understanding on my part
09-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #69
Veteran Member

The future of photography is code not optical.

OK I just read this interesting article in Techcrunch, some fact gathering could be true. Was publish in 2018

I am not an expert and will not comment

The future of photography is code – TechCrunch

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2019 at 23:18 ----------

Ok , I just done a search an Winder post that already , sorry.
The Future of Photography is Code - PentaxForums.com
09-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
OK I just read this interesting article in Techcrunch, some fact gathering could be true. Was publish in 2018

I am not an expert and will not comment

The future of photography is code – TechCrunch

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2019 at 23:18 ----------

Ok , I just done a search an Winder post that already , sorry.
The Future of Photography is Code - PentaxForums.com
No problem. I've merged your thread into this one.
09-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I think we'll all be amazed with what good engineers working with good camera hardware and software will be able to come up with in the next few years. Competition from smartphones is good. They'll have to differentiate themselves even more to stay in business.
Popular Mechanics is all over multiple lens Computational Photography today.
09-12-2019, 04:37 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Popular Mechanics is all over multiple lens Computational Photography today.
I was going to say that multiple lenses is one thing that cell phones have over ILCs. You don't have "real" cameras with 2, 3, 4 image sensors and the ability to combine a number of simultaneous shots computationally.

But why not? Why couldn't you have an ILC with a 50mm or 28mm lens mounted, and several smaller sensors with fixed lenses like a cell phone on the body? The ergonomics might be challenging, but you could put small sensors on the hump at the top, or in a popup flash type mount. Obviously they wouldn't be the size of sensor or quality of lens of an APS-C or FF camera and a good lens, but you might be able to extract enough valuable information to improve image quality in a lot of challenging situations. With enough processing power you could potentially combine several exposures with the primary lens, with exposures at different focal lengths, depth of field, exposure values from the smaller lenses and get otherwise difficult or impossible results.

Maybe you could even use the extra imaging sensors to feed data to the autofocus algorithm for better tracking and accuracy with a DSLR? Again, accounting for various focal lengths with your interchangeable lens would be a challenge. But, hey, it's just software, right?
09-12-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The multiple lens technology is cool but it's a lot more limited than first appears. For example, Apple's iPhone 11 Pro has three 12 MPix cameras with lenses equivalent to 13, 26, and 52 mm focal lengths. But how these combine is less exciting than first appears.

The data from the 13mm and 26mm views can provide almost no additional information for improving the 52 mm view. Only the central 3 MPix of the 26mm shot overlaps with the 12 MPix in the 52 mm shot. That's a mere 25% boost in data. And only a tiny, coarse 0.75 MPix of the 13 mm shot overlaps with the 12 MPix in the 52 mm shot -- another 6% boost in data. At best it can reduce noise by about 0.3 EV.

Where multiple cameras do help is in the "portrait" mode in which the 12 MPix of the 52 mm view are used to enhance the central 3 MPix of the 26 mm view. Or the 26 mm view can enhance the center of a UWA 13 mm group shot. The data from the longer focal length view really can substantially reduce noise and boost resolution in the wider angle shot. But only in the center!

Therefore, even as cool as this enhancement seems, it is still severely limited as a photographic tool because it restricts the photographer to boring subject-in-the-center compositions. These smart phone multi-camera systems can't enhance a sweeping landscape, reduce noise across the entire night sky, or let one use rule-of-thirds.
09-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I was going to say that multiple lenses is one thing that cell phones have over ILCs. You don't have "real" cameras with 2, 3, 4 image sensors and the ability to combine a number of simultaneous shots computationally.

But why not? Why couldn't you have an ILC with a 50mm or 28mm lens mounted, and several smaller sensors with fixed lenses like a cell phone on the body? The ergonomics might be challenging, but you could put small sensors on the hump at the top, or in a popup flash type mount. Obviously they wouldn't be the size of sensor or quality of lens of an APS-C or FF camera and a good lens, but you might be able to extract enough valuable information to improve image quality in a lot of challenging situations. With enough processing power you could potentially combine several exposures with the primary lens, with exposures at different focal lengths, depth of field, exposure values from the smaller lenses and get otherwise difficult or impossible results.

Maybe you could even use the extra imaging sensors to feed data to the autofocus algorithm for better tracking and accuracy with a DSLR? Again, accounting for various focal lengths with your interchangeable lens would be a challenge. But, hey, it's just software, right?
Like the Light?

I think it is a cool idea, but it certainly needs a lot of refining.