Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small size "always with me camera" - any tips?

I'm considering purchase of a (possibly small size) "always with me" camera. No special expectations, well... except fine IQ, and viewfinder (this is a must). Plus a lens with small f-number (max. f2).

FujiFilm X100F might be one option. Anything else I should not overlook?

(Note: Leica is not in the correct price range...)

10-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't go wrong with that one. Film body and a propper lens may be cheaper (again, Leica…).
A K1000 and a K/M/A 50/2 might be your thing.
Or maybe any of the older APS-C bodies with an FA35/2.
For the same price as the Fuji, perhaps even with a 31 Limited. Can get you into Leica territory. Remember those were released in M mount. Used if you're on a budget.

10-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'm considering purchase of a (possibly small size) "always with me" camera. No special expectations, well... except fine IQ, and viewfinder (this is a must). Plus a lens with small f-number (max. f2).

Sony RX100 (mark III or newer) would be my recommendation. Super compact and takes great pictures.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote

Can't go wrong with the X100F. It's my smallish walk around cam.

10-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want something really compact, griii plus optical viewfinder add on. The Fuji will not fit in most pockets but the gr will, and you can attach the vf when needed. I have a digital or film SLR with a small prime on most days, but that's not pocketable
10-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't forget the GR2 its lens is sharp wide open. The x100 series lens doesn't sharpen up till you stop it down. I like the retro look of the x100's and had an original but the GR2 is just such a great little camera and is really pocketable to boot.
10-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've been pretty impressed by the pictures I have seen that were taken with the Panasonic LX10. Still small enough to be (mostly) pocketable but I like the images better than the quite larger LX100. The LX10 has a smaller sensor (1") but still big enough - same as RX100 - and with a brighter lens (f1.4-2.8).

Last edited by ChristianRock; 10-30-2018 at 03:46 PM.
10-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

And the Panasonic comes with a Leica lens ... . I guess it depends how you balance size with iq. For all the occations where I dont want to carry a heavy camera bag stuffed with K3ii and lenses but still want to be able to take decent pics I have a Panasonic Travelzoom with me. Iq is not good enough to recommend this specific camera to you, but I think the LX10 has a significant better iq and could fit your bill.
10-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once thought that a viewfinder was a must for me, and fully planned to get a viewfinder for the GRII when I got it. But after using the camera for a few days I canned that idea.
10-30-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #10

Another recommendation for the GR or GRii with clip on optical viewfinder. There are two viewfinders; I bought the larger GV1 first but didn't take to it so bought the neat little GV2 which is perfect for me. The camera is a delight to use, only one hand required! Except when I take out a dslr, I always have the GR with me. Always. Looking forward to the GRiii which I suspect will have an optional electronic viewfinder available.
10-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #11

If you don't want to commit to a single focal length as required by the Fuji X100F or the Ricoh GR2, consider the Fuji X-E2 or X-E3 plus the Fuji 27mm f/2.8.
The Fujis are definitely a bit bigger than the GR, but still on the small side for APS-C.

Personally, I prefer the 27mm field of view on APS-C to the shorter focal lengths used on most fixed lens cameras - but if you decide you don't like 27mm, you can always take it off and try something else.
Link to size comparison <here>
10-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me small means it fits into my jeans pocket. I have the original rx100 all beat up and the gr2. Gr2 is the easiest to use. The rx100 takes good pictures but I’m usually cussing at the clunky interface to adjust settings - a sacrifice for its size.
10-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q?
Tokyo Story - A Pentax Q7 real world review - PentaxForums.com
The Pentax Q - a real World user review - PentaxForums.com
Solo Cycling trip with the Q7 - PentaxForums.com
Small camera goes to a small place - PentaxForums.com

The GRIII will be pocketable since its going to be smaller than the GRII
Else the GRII is really flat and pocketable

Or maybe one of the Canon M50, M5?
10-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Another thought... the chinese YI M1 micro four-thirds camera is very small and has the same sensor as the Olympus EM-1 II which a lot of people seem to like. With a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake, it might be pocketable if you have larger pockets.... and then there's also the Panasonic GF8 which is about the same size (older 16MP sensor). With the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake, either one at least as portable as the Fuji X100F. And then there's the Panasonic GX85 which has the advantage of having a viewfinder and is the same size as the X100F body, but with the Panny lens it's a few milimiters larger.

The GR models are more pocketable than any of these options but the lens is f/2.8...
10-31-2018, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Ricoh GR series is truly pocketable. You should check one out if you haven't already.