Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Bad news, almost everything in the world has been photographed before. That shouldn't stop you from seeing it.
Pretty much, yes The more I think about it, the more I want the city over nature. For the short trip of about 3 days, not depending on weather so much like for landscapes. Solo traveling. Walking, not hiking. Enjoying the specific city vibe. That's it.

So, New Orleans is number #1, and it's close. I'm going to leave California for later. I've been in Phoenix, Sedona, and around, loved it, but I don't want to revoke all the memories I've had there with my late husband, not ready to do it.

11-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I happened to have the airline credit which expires in March, and I'd like to use it for short trip to somewhere to shoot something... Very informative, I know

That's the problem, I search, and search, and don't know where I'd like to go.
I only know where I don't want to go: in parks like Yellowstone to shoot another image I've seen million times online, something like that. I'm also not sure that can handle long hiking in the mountains alone, that format is better for the group of at least two.

I don't want to get too cold also, so I guess Alaska in winter is not very good idea...
how about travel partially in the US

my wife and I had to cancel, due to an eye issue, a trip to Baja California for whale watching

we had to fly into LA going to and coming back

Baja: San Ignacio Lagoon and Sea of Cortez - Oceanic Society

we hope to do it sometime in the future
11-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much, yes The more I think about it, the more I want the city over nature. For the short trip of about 3 days, not depending on weather so much like for landscapes. Solo traveling. Walking, not hiking. Enjoying the specific city vibe. That's it.
Go to NYC, always something to see no matter what time of year. You may even get lucky and it snows, so you can get some nice winter street shots.

Phil.
11-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had I the chance, it'd be Death Valley. Also the country east of the Sierra Nevada below snow line. Some day...

11-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Phoenix has some great photogenic offerings: Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin, a large Desert Botanical Garden, and other museums.
11-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I happened to have the airline credit which expires in March, and I'd like to use it for short trip to somewhere to shoot something... Very informative, I know

That's the problem, I search, and search, and don't know where I'd like to go.
I only know where I don't want to go: in parks like Yellowstone to shoot another image I've seen million times online, something like that. I'm also not sure that can handle long hiking in the mountains alone, that format is better for the group of at least two.

I don't want to get too cold also, so I guess Alaska in winter is not very good idea...
Arizona without Question.
11-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me the Grand Canyon perhaps. It won't be warm but it would be stunning. You can then retreat to Phoenix for the warm up phase before going home. But The Big Easy is a good plan too. If you go you should have plenty to do and see.

11-02-2018, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mardi Gras

If the credit hasn't expired maybe Mardi Gras in New Orleans
11-02-2018, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I love the Southwest, it is somewhat overdone as a photography subject. You might consider North and South Carolina, the winter weather is mild especially along the coast, but even up into the mountains of western North Carolina the temperatures are still not bad, only getting cold after sunset, and you have a chance of early spring, and the Biltmore estate in Asheville is a must see.
Charlotte is a cool modern Southern city. Charleston SC, is a beautiful old city with a lot of charm. I also like Brookgreen Gardens up near Myrtle Beach, SC.

IF you have more than a month to travel you could also go to the Gulf of Mexico, from Alabama to Louisiana, a lot of history and photo ops, and great food. That time of year the temperatures will be perfect, and not too humid.

You could spend a month or more in Texas alone, and it has both great cities and nightlife, as well as remote areas where you might feel like you are the only person on earth. Texas's climate and geography range from wet almost jungle in the east to high desert in the west, with microclimes and pockets of unusual natural phenomena, and miles of coastline on the Gulf. The Hill Country of Texas has a European influence since settlers from Germany and Bohemia still retain the language and architecture of their homelands. IF you are in Texas in springtime, the fields are alive with millions of bluebonnet flowers.
11-02-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Go to NYC, always something to see no matter what time of year. You may even get lucky and it snows, so you can get some nice winter street shots.

Phil.
Agree! There is so much to see and do in NYC, indoors and outdoors, the weather is almost never a show stopper. If you want big city this is among the best if not the best. If you need a respite from the city lights and noise, it is right there in Central Park which is a great place to visit in any season. Most of the museums are along the park both on Central Park West and 5th Avenue on the east side of the park.
11-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I live in New Orleans. The flowers die and the leaves thin out and the crowds die down. Right now is very nice. It might get below freezing sometimes and 50f in the day. The gators disappear if that's your thing.
That leaves the rest the same. Still parades and festivals to see. First Mardi gras parades are on the ephiny, 12th night. Xmas in the oakes. Luna fete. Etc. Also the sugarbowl.
11-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! So many options! I spent quite amount of time digging around New Orleans in December. With the credit 4 nights vacation package flight + Hilton cost a bit less than $200. There are trams in NO, I miss them very much, and they are so photogenic. Aquarium is just next block from the hotel. I don't need to rent a car since it's all about the city, just like in NY. Museums, culture, cemeteries ... seems like the whole package in one place, and money wise.

---------- Post added 11-02-18 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I live in New Orleans. The flowers die and the leaves thin out and the crowds die down. Right now is very nice. It might get below freezing sometimes and 50f in the day. The gators disappear if that's your thing.
That leaves the rest the same. Still parades and festivals to see. First Mardi gras parades are on the ephiny, 12th night. Xmas in the oakes. Luna fete. Etc. Also the sugarbowl.
I have plenty of gators here all year round .
What to wear in the first week of December? Should I buy boots, or sneakers are enough?
11-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I prefer hiking boots. Streets are not that nice and frequent rain meaning puddles and mud. A decent jacket but it could be shorts weather.
Celebration in the oaks will be at city park. Uber is the best bet. A street car gets you close but still a long walk. Probably fine for the fine art museum and sculpture park in the day and walking the oaks.
The aquarium is right there but the insectarium is on canal hidden in plain sight. Do the zoo too and there is a discount.
The Roosevelt has nice xmas decorations and I love the look of the sazerac room.
If you pick new orleans there's stuff.
11-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Yosemite
11-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Alpine, TX and Big Bend! Cool but normally sunny. Some cute Air BnBs there too.