Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where would you go in US around December-March for photo trip?

I happened to have the airline credit which expires in March, and I'd like to use it for short trip to somewhere to shoot something... Very informative, I know

That's the problem, I search, and search, and don't know where I'd like to go.
I only know where I don't want to go: in parks like Yellowstone to shoot another image I've seen million times online, something like that. I'm also not sure that can handle long hiking in the mountains alone, that format is better for the group of at least two.

I don't want to get too cold also, so I guess Alaska in winter is not very good idea...

11-02-2018, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Las Vegas does a great New Year's Eve fireworks show (but the hotel room prices go through the roof!) Maybe some other New Year's eve venues?

Vegas also has Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, and Hoover/Boulder Dam (take the inside tour) nearby. You probably have not seen too many shots of these. A bit father afield is Death Valley - where winter is the time to visit, unless you like 120+ degree days!

Zion and Bryce Canyons are also relatively nearby. Zion valley will be OK temperature-wise (and not so overrun with tourists) in the winter. Bryce on the other hand is at high elevation (7000' +) and might be snow covered ( --> great shots if you can get there!).
11-02-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Las Vegas does a great New Year's Eve fireworks show (but the hotel room prices go through the roof!) Maybe some other New Year's eve venues?

Vegas also has Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, and Hoover/Boulder Dam (take the inside tour) nearby. You probably have not seen too many shots of these. A bit father afield is Death Valley - where winter is the time to visit, unless you like 120+ degree days!

Zion and Bryce Canyons are also relatively nearby. Zion valley will be OK temperature-wise (and not so overrun with tourists) in the winter. Bryce on the other hand is at high elevation (7000' +) and might be snow covered ( --> great shots if you can get there!).
Zion is beautiful, and I thought about that park, but it seems too much hiking involved for solo. Same may be true for Death Valley as well.
Vegas for New Years will be costly for sure, I can substitute that for Miami fireworks under the bridge for the price of gas

Zion will stay in the list for now, thank you!
11-02-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Come to upstate New York. You can be cold and miserable with the residents...Although Weather Channel says the temperature is going to be above average. So you can be wet and miserable with the residents...

11-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Come to upstate New York. You can be cold and miserable with the residents...
Actually I got the credit when cancelled my tirp to NY back in April when the weather was just crazy there. NY in winter? Naaah!
11-02-2018, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Astro Dave has good ideas although I am not a fan of Vegas. The Pacific Northwest coastal is very wet. The interior of the north west can be brutal although dramatic. Actually areas of Alaska might be nicer than Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas in Winter. The southwest might be nice as you can go desert to mountains according to weather. Warning bad weather can come fast and can literally kill. The northeast is cold but picturesque. Mountains to seacoast are not far apart. Your location lists Florida so I trust you have taken advantage of the southeast, like the unique coastline in Georgia. A photographers interest might include the swamps, Okefenokee in Georgia, and the Everglades . if you have a specific subject of interest this could be "focused."
11-02-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
so I trust you have taken advantage of the southeast, like the unique coastline in Georgia. A photographers interest might include the swamps, Okefenokee in Georgia, and the Everglades . if you have a specific subject of interest this could be "focused."
I've never been in Georgia actually, just flew above Interesting idea, plus I always wanted to see the biggest US aquarium in Atlanta.

---------- Post added 11-02-18 at 10:26 AM ----------

Is New Orleans a good idea to spend a couple of days there for street shooting?

11-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I've never been in Georgia actually, just flew above Interesting idea, plus I always wanted to see the biggest US aquarium in Atlanta.

---------- Post added 11-02-18 at 10:26 AM ----------

Is New Orleans a good idea to spend a couple of days there for street shooting?
My wife and I returned from New Orleans just a couple of weeks ago. They're doing road construction on Bourbon Street, but even so, I think going there would be a great idea!!
11-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
San Diego in Winter is a lovely respite. Coranado island, Del Mar, etc.
11-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My wife and I returned from New Orleans just a couple of weeks ago. They're doing road construction on Bourbon Street, but even so, I think going there would be a great idea!!
Nice! Did you have any specific places you loved the most to shoot?
11-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

I give you the extremes...

Fairbanks Alaska in March for Northern lights

Hawaii Volcano National Park...you dont even have to enter the park...either way the images will be one of a kind...
11-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll give a +1 for @AstroDave's suggestion of Death Valley. I live a couple hours away from the park and go there often in the winter for desert photography. Many photographic landscapes are accessible via roadside or a short 10-30 minute hike. Also a few hours north of Vegas going toward the Death Valley region are a few old ghost and semi-ghost towns that are fun to photograph.
If you're interested in Dark Sky for night work, this region of Nevada is noted for such.
And depending on how much water we get this winter, the desert flowers in spring can be phenomenal. The park does get crowded during this time if there is a good bloom season.

I must admit that when I get tired of the desert environment, Georgia and Louisiana offer a completely new world. Every trip I've made to Georgia from the swamps to the old gold country has left me in awe.
11-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Some interesting US places that don't freeze during winter:

New Orleans French Quarter. Street photography and architecture.

California has many options. Coastal cities San Diego, Los Angeles, or San Francisco. Inland southern California stays warm; Joshua Tree National Park is a 2 hour drive from LA, or if you don't care to see LA you could fly into Palm Springs instead.

Great scenic drive between San Francisco and LA using CA-1 to follow the coast. That route was closed for a year due to mudslides but roads have been repaired. California's Big Sur Highway 1 has reopened.

Southern Arizona. Tucson or Phoenix. Several nearby National Monuments plus whatever interests you in the cities.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
to shoot another image I've seen million times online
Bad news, almost everything in the world has been photographed before. That shouldn't stop you from seeing it.
11-02-2018, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Bad news, almost everything in the world has been photographed before. That shouldn't stop you from seeing it.
Louis Armstrong was asked why he kept working. He said because there were notes he hadn't played. It may have been photographed before but not with the light the way it is right now.
11-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I recommend "Old Car City" located in White, Georgia which is about a 1 hour car ride north of Atlanta. I visited last year for a day and wish I had more time. The place is huge and filled with thousands of old derelict cars. A photographers dream if you're into that sort of thing. Walk across the street to the little diner for lunch, another treat. Check out OCC online to see some pics.
I stayed in Atlanta as my "base" and visited the CNN facility, World of Coca Cola, Jimmy Carter Presidential Museum ... lots of great bars and restaurants as well.