Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2018, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

If you haven't been to Austin TX yet, put it high on your list. Beautiful city with friendly people. Beautiful countryside around it.

I haven't seen the rest of Texas but a fellow Aussie did a raod trip with his wife and said the rest of it is as friendly as Austin but with slightly different politics and lotsa, lotsa guns.

11-03-2018, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd go somewhere where there is snow and maybe mountains, but I guess that's just me.
11-03-2018, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Any big city in the Northeast. For me I'd probably go to NYC. Always stuff to see and do there. Boston is also beautiful during the fall/winter months.
11-03-2018, 04:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Nice! Did you have any specific places you loved the most to shoot?
We had only three days there {my wife's vacation time is limited and we spent one day of it in Vicksburg MS on the way down}. We spent a day in the French Quarter, one in the bayou where Lafitte hung out, and one elsewhere. I would have loved to spend more time in the French Quarter - even in October there were plenty of people to be interesting, and I could have spent several days watching the street performers. We never got to the true downtown nor did we get to ride a ferry; with my interest in railroads, I have to admit I spent an hour just watching the trolleys go up and down Canal Street {it is a wide 'boulevard', with several sets of tracks down the middle); I am 70 years old, but we managed to walk there from the heart of the French Quarter. The one downside is the you have to drive over a long high bridge to go just about anywhere, and that got on my nerves so much that my wife took over the driving while we were in the area {one that intrigued me is a railroad bridge on the west end of things - because railroads are limited in how much of a grade they can go up, the approach to this bridge has the train at least fifty feet off the ground several blocks before the bridge - but we saw it only once, while driving, so we didn't have time to loop back and try to photograph it.

11-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you did pick NC let me know. I love it here and would be happy to give tips and pointers.
11-03-2018, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd go somewhere where there is snow and maybe mountains, but I guess that's just me.
For someone from Florida, like the OP, I suppose snow would be interesting. Here, where we average 64" of snow a year, I've already seen my lifetime allotment.
11-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For someone from Florida, like the OP, I suppose snow would be interesting. Here, where we average 64" of snow a year, I've already seen my lifetime allotment.
Honestly, I don't miss the snow that much, I'm done with all that nostalgia after I were to New Hampshire, saw the snow, made the snowball, and told my husband, ok, now we can get out of this miserable cold and dark days.
I guess I'm too Floridian now, plus, I have no with to buy serious winter outfit for serious cold. If I do buy it, I prefer Alaska for northern lights and icebergs, and the price of the trip of course will be different.

---------- Post added 11-03-18 at 07:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you did pick NC let me know. I love it here and would be happy to give tips and pointers.
Thanks, too bad I missed the foliage time this year.

11-03-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We "snowbirds" in the south during winter have to grin when the locals complain about the cold (maybe 50). Our stock answer is "No Snow." The last year we lived in the UP of Michigan we got 300".
Indeed, a lifetime allotment.
11-03-2018, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to admit I spent an hour just watching the trolleys go up and down Canal Street {it is a wide 'boulevard', with several sets of tracks down the middle); I am 70 years old, but we managed to walk there from the heart of the French Quarter. The one downside is the you have to drive over a long high bridge to go just about anywhere, and that got on my nerves so much that my wife took over the driving while we were in the area {one that intrigued me is a railroad bridge on the west end of things - because railroads are limited in how much of a grade they can go up, the approach to this bridge has the train at least fifty feet off the ground several blocks before the bridge - but we saw it only once, while driving, so we didn't have time to loop back and try to photograph it.
Trolleys means trams for me, and I miss them. I planned to shoot them in Lisbon, but I can get them much closer. If I book the hotel facing the Mississippi River right next to the French Quarter, I don't need a car, maybe just Uber, or shuttle. Tram rides would be enjoyable.

I do have now such a bucket list of locations, thanks to all!
11-03-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got back from a trip to New Orleans.

It was OK. Biggest negative was that 3 weeks after I got back, I had a letter in the mail in which I was issued a photo ticket for going 27 mph in a 20 mph zone. Not being familiar with the city and speed zones was a problem. But it definitely has a different feel from many other US cities.
11-03-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just got back from a trip to New Orleans.

It was OK. Biggest negative was that 3 weeks after I got back, I had a letter in the mail in which I was issued a photo ticket for going 27 mph in a 20 mph zone. Not being familiar with the city and speed zones was a problem. But it definitely has a different feel from many other US cities.
They got you 20 mph in no school time? Wow.

Anyway, I'm an idiot. I totally forgot that I have credit with United. No deals to New Orleans, not even non stop flights, and the route Ft. Lauderdale-Newark-New Orleans looks quite hilarious to me. Not mentioning that their "vacation deal" is just a joke. I used to book with JetBlue, and forgot that the last time I switched to United for the specific dates, airport and time to catch up with friend's schedule back then.
JetBlue has great deals for NO, United has 29 dollars off vacation deal being already overpriced. Thank you, but no.

So, I start all over now, plus with airbnb... what a pain.
11-03-2018, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For someone who spent the decade of the 70s in Arizona, I've always been drawn to return whenever I can. The entire state is gorgeous (pick up an issue of Arizona Highways to see for yourself). From January through March southeast AZ is a wonderful part of the state to visit. Home-base yourself in Tucson for a number of day trips you can take in the region (you will need a rental vehicle).

Here's some suggestions. Reference the map for locations:

1. Sabino Canyon - Sabino Canyon Tours | Tram Tours through Tucson's desert oasis
2. Saguaro NM - Saguaro National Park
3. San Xavier Mission - San Xavier Mission/ Tucson AZ
4. Sonora Desert Museum - Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ - Zoo, Botanical Garden and Art Gallery
5. Kitt Peak National Observatory - Kitt Peak National Observatory
6. Tumacacori - Tumacácori National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
7. Tombstone - TombstoneWeb.com – Tombstone Arizona Information
8. Chiracahuas - Chiricahua National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
9. Bioshpere - Biosphere 2 |

I highly recommend them all. Hope this helps in your decision making...
Attached Images

11-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
They got you 20 mph in no school time? Wow.

Anyway, I'm an idiot. I totally forgot that I have credit with United. No deals to New Orleans, not even non stop flights, and the route Ft. Lauderdale-Newark-New Orleans looks quite hilarious to me. Not mentioning that their "vacation deal" is just a joke. I used to book with JetBlue, and forgot that the last time I switched to United for the specific dates, airport and time to catch up with friend's schedule back then.
JetBlue has great deals for NO, United has 29 dollars off vacation deal being already overpriced. Thank you, but no.

So, I start all over now, plus with airbnb... what a pain.
Not a school zone. I was driving my family to the zoo and apparently it went through a neighborhood with a 20 mph zone. It's a little slower than I am used to having speed limits and I admit I wasn't paying really close attention to my speed as I was watching for our turns.
11-03-2018, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Those cameras are notorious here. Wrong hours, illegally marked, and often on an illegally parked vehicle. The mayor just ordered several removed. Sorry you got a ticket.
So United means Atlanta or o,hare?
11-03-2018, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, seems like I found a good plan with United credit+roundtrip tickets (with 1 stop ) +stay in 2bd apartment for 9 days all together for about $700 ... in Lisbon.
Did not decide yet, but most likely I will go there for + - total either in December, or till end of February. My credit expires in first days of March. Problem solved.

---------- Post added 11-03-18 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
For someone who spent the decade of the 70s in Arizona, I've always been drawn to return whenever I can. The entire state is gorgeous (pick up an issue of Arizona Highways to see for yourself). From January through March southeast AZ is a wonderful part of the state to visit. Home-base yourself in Tucson for a number of day trips you can take in the region (you will need a rental vehicle).

Here's some suggestions. Reference the map for locations:

1. Sabino Canyon - Sabino Canyon Tours | Tram Tours through Tucson's desert oasis
2. Saguaro NM - Saguaro National Park
3. San Xavier Mission - San Xavier Mission/ Tucson AZ
4. Sonora Desert Museum - Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ - Zoo, Botanical Garden and Art Gallery
5. Kitt Peak National Observatory - Kitt Peak National Observatory
6. Tumacacori - Tumacácori National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
7. Tombstone - TombstoneWeb.com – Tombstone Arizona Information
8. Chiracahuas - Chiricahua National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
9. Bioshpere - Biosphere 2 |

I highly recommend them all. Hope this helps in your decision making...
Thank you so much. One day I will return there.