Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Thanks, too bad I missed the foliage time this year.
We had an odd year. The leaves are just turning here in Charlotte and even in the mountains there are still many green leaves. The fall color explosion has just not happened this year.

11-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What about Washington DC. Lots and lots to see, and photograph. Plenty of historic sights nearby, along with Great Falls National Park in Maryland.
11-04-2018, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, seems like I found a good plan with United credit+roundtrip tickets (with 1 stop ) +stay in 2bd apartment for 9 days all together for about $700 ... in Lisbon.
I love touring America, but I would not turn down a trip to Portugal for that price.
11-04-2018, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I love touring America, but I would not turn down a trip to Portugal for that price.
Yes, it seems better bang for the buck than any other combination I've searched all over here. Portugal is so beautiful, I have to go there. And it's good destination for solo traveling.

11-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
We had an odd year. The leaves are just turning here in Charlotte and even in the mountains there are still many green leaves. The fall color explosion has just not happened this year.
Fall foliage color was really late this year. We travelled up to Montreal and Quebec City driving through the adirondacks in upstate New York in the first week of October. The leaves were just beginning to change in the Adirondack mountains and around Quebec City in early October and still mostly or completely green elsewhere, including around Montreal. Normally they would have been peak to past peak at that time
Here in Northern Delaware, Southeast Pennsylvania and Northwest Maryland tri-state area they just started changing about 8 days ago and now are already past the peak. So they started late and unfortunately the fall colors did not last long.
11-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I hope that is true, I'll be in Greensboro next week.
11-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I hope that is true, I'll be in Greensboro next week.
I drove up to Lexington today and the fall color is muted there. Some green left and almost no bare trees except for the very earliest.

11-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One more question, where in US can I find places like this one?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HsIvdhsSNPw/U7f40IAfhhI/AAAAAAAAGVs/kr1o8IYpu0Y/s1...u.blogspot.jpg
11-05-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HsIvdhsSNPw/U7f40IAfhhI/AAAAAAAAGVs/kr1o8IYpu0Y/s1...u.blogspot.jpg
Pictured Rocks National Shoreline on Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Just don't go there in the winter season.
11-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Pictured Rocks National Shoreline on Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Just don't go there in the winter season.
Perfect, thanks!
11-05-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Mono Lake, California.

Some west coast beaches. Big Sur, California. Oregon.
11-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect, thanks!
It's a very popular destination in the summer. There are only 2 lane roads into and around the area. Best time to visit is when schools are in session. I visited mid Sept 2017 and it wasn't overly crowded. Fayette State Park is also in the vicinity. It's a very picturette old community.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 11-07-2018 at 11:46 AM.
11-05-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Mono Lake, California.

Some west coast beaches. Big Sur, California. Oregon.
Agree, the Monterey Peninsula in California is a sight to see.
11-06-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Zion is beautiful, and I thought about that park, but it seems too much hiking involved for solo. Same may be true for Death Valley as well.
Vegas for New Years will be costly for sure, I can substitute that for Miami fireworks under the bridge for the price of gas

Zion will stay in the list for now, thank you!
I did that trip in March 2015 and highly recommend it as a winter get away. I didn't didn't pay any more for hotel rooms in Vegas than anywhere else and they may have been even a little cheaper. We didn't have time to visit Zion but we did spend days hiking in the Valley of Fire, Red Rocks Canyon, and Death Valley. Death Valley is awesome in the late winter/early spring with some flowers blooming and it mild enough to really enjoy a day of hiking.

---------- Post added 11-06-18 at 09:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Come to upstate New York. You can be cold and miserable with the residents...Although Weather Channel says the temperature is going to be above average. So you can be wet and miserable with the residents...
There are plenty of good photo opportunities and things to do in upstate NY in the winter. It obviously isn't everyone's cup of tea but for people in the lower latitudes who have never experienced a real winter, it may be an option but as boriscleto mentioned, if it's a mild winter, don't bother. Lake Placid is jumping in winter and the Saranac Lake Winter Carnival is considered the Mardi Grau of the north. Old Forge is the snowmobile capital and the steelhead fishing in February in the rivers running into Lake Ontario is some of the best there is.