Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photography Drones

Thinking ahead to the holidays, I think I am finally interested in getting a drone for photography. I have no preferences as to size or flight time. What I am looking for is something under around $400-500. I am willing to pay more but I would first look at drones in that price range. Photography is what I primarily intend to use it for. If I do use it for videography, it will only be on occasion. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

11-05-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good post, I’ve got some interest in that too. I have seen the Spark around and it looks interesting but I have done no serious research, so I’m interested in the replies here.
11-05-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

First thing to decide is whether you want one with its own camera, or one to fit a gopro style action cam, or one that can lift a DSLR.

That will then inform your options.
11-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also very much interested in seeing Forum members' responses in a thread like this. I can see myself attempting drone photography or video in the near future. I'm becoming aware of its potential uses by reading but know little about the practical aspects or which models are desirable. Most articles one comes across seem to assume a certain level of background knowledge I do not have.

11-05-2018, 04:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The thing I'm beginning to notice now on my travels is the increasing number of places banning the use of drones,something to bear in mind?
I've no direct experience of different makes but from reading around DJI Phantom appear to be the Apple of the drone world.Their Spark model might fit your budget it retails in the UK for c£300.

Last edited by timb64; 11-05-2018 at 04:41 AM.
11-05-2018, 04:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

As someone who owns a GoPro Karma drone, they are fun but it is getting increasingly difficult to fly them. First you have to register with the FAA then there are a lot of rules/restrictions as to where and who you need to contact to fly them in the area you want. If you want to fly commercially you need to take the courses and pass an FAA pilot exam. You cannot fly them over any federal parks and most state parks have the same restrictions. Best to start here Unmanned Aircraft Systems
11-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a Yuneec brand drone with its own camera. They are fun and easy to fly, But, as Oldbayrunner said, you have to register and watch where you fly. Even just messing around in a city park will upset some people and may get you in trouble. I purchased it to do aerial still photography. The image quality is lacking. Most drones in the "Budget" range have little more than a cheap security cameras in my opinion. So don't expect DSLR quality images. Images are OK for some things, but be aware. Drones that you mount your own camera to, (Read Gopro here), will get you better image quality than bundled drone/camera options. I really don't use it much anymore, the novelty wore off. Looking back, I would have rather spent the money elsewhere. YMMV.

11-05-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Research where you can fly a drone before you buy. Our government is hostile towards drones.
11-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm eyeing this one this holiday season:
DJI Mavic Air (Onyx Black) CP.PT.00000130.02 B&H Photo Video

It's $800 right now, but was recently on sale for considerably less, I think there's a good chance there will be some nice holiday sales on it. This model is particularly cool because of how tiny it is- perfect for travel.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the company DJI Phantom sitting in my room 2 feet away waiting for me to learn how to fly it. Willdo this week and let you know what I think of it
11-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I have the company DJI Phantom sitting in my room 2 feet away waiting for me to learn how to fly it. Willdo this week and let you know what I think of it
That's got to be my biggest question -- how to fly them? What skills are needed?

I'm interested in low-level aerials of various foreign places, especially where you cannot get back far enough on the ground to capture an entire facade or edifice. And I realize there will be all kinds laws and regulations to deal with in various countries....

But how to fly it?
11-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
how to fly them? What skills are needed?
Unless you intend to race them, no skill at all...it's mostly automated. The majority of learning is about how to do it safely and legally (and creatively)
11-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Unless you intend to race them, no skill at all...it's mostly automated. The majority of learning is about how to do it safely and legally (and creatively)
Thanks, I guess the thing to do is buy one and see if I don't crash it. But crashing that much money worries me.
11-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Thanks, I guess the thing to do is buy one and see if I don't crash it. But crashing that much money worries me.
Get onto a drone forum and peruse the beginners section for flying tips. I fly a Phantom 3, which is a cheap point and shoot with wings.
Words to live by: stay well away from trees, buildings, tall equipment and overhead lines. Any one of these will suck your drone in and eat it.

With the DJI products, the trick is to get them airborne. Don’t try for a gentle launch. I start the motors and let them idle for half a minute or so and then for launch I give full throttle until it’s off the ground and a couple of meters in the air.
If you are flying any distance, fly out into the wind. That way you aren’t fighting it on the way home.
Don’t try to land a small drone like a Phantom. Fly it within a couple of meters of you and park it just above how tall you are. Walk over to it, grab it’s landing gear and shut off the motors. Save your props from damage by tipping onto them.
11-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The hardest part to flying a drone is remaining cognizant of the left/right controls flying the drone in reverse movement coming towards you opposed to them being standard flying away.