Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Get onto a drone forum and peruse the beginners section for flying tips. I fly a Phantom 3, which is a cheap point and shoot with wings.
Words to live by: stay well away from trees, buildings, tall equipment and overhead lines. Any one of these will suck your drone in and eat it.

With the DJI products, the trick is to get them airborne. Don’t try for a gentle launch. I start the motors and let them idle for half a minute or so and then for launch I give full throttle until it’s off the ground and a couple of meters in the air.
If you are flying any distance, fly out into the wind. That way you aren’t fighting it on the way home.
Don’t try to land a small drone like a Phantom. Fly it within a couple of meters of you and park it just above how tall you are. Walk over to it, grab it’s landing gear and shut off the motors. Save your props from damage by tipping onto them.

Thank you for all the tips! I'm committing them to memory.

---------- Post added 11-14-18 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The hardest part to flying a drone is remaining cognizant of the left/right controls flying the drone in reverse movement coming towards you opposed to them being standard flying away.
Thank you for that information. I wouldn't have thought of them being reversed.

11-17-2018, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Droners are going to need their own special forum
11-17-2018, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

IMHO, for an affordable photography focussed drone, a 21 MP drone like the Parrot Anafi should probably be on the list.

Drone Camera 4k HDR ANAFI | Parrot Official

Also:

01-06-2019, 05:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Update: I have not put much more thought into a photo drone since starting this thread. As luck would have it, I received a small drone last night in a holiday party gift exchange. The person I attended with happens to be a drone pilot and recommended I practice with the smaller drone to get a feel for the controls.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The hardest part to flying a drone is remaining cognizant of the left/right controls flying the drone in reverse movement coming towards you opposed to them being standard flying away.
I have learned that the controls can be somewhat difficult as I have already flown the small drone into my face.

01-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote

I have learned that the controls can be somewhat difficult as I have already flown the small drone into my face.
Ouch
01-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Ouch
Fortunately, I decided to learn with a tiny drone. If it had been a photography drone, it could have been a very expensive crash and I would have ended up with far more than just a cut on my face.
01-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Get onto a drone forum and peruse the beginners section for flying tips. I fly a Phantom 3, which is a cheap point and shoot with wings.
Words to live by: stay well away from trees, buildings, tall equipment and overhead lines. Any one of these will suck your drone in and eat it.
Sounds like flying a kite. {many years ago, my Dad and I managed to lose a kite in a large field with just one power line}

01-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I am a video game player, so I was probably ahead of the curve but it's not that hard to learn.
You may want to get a little cheap one like a Syma X1 to practice flying first.