Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm going to bow out now, Tony. There's really nowhere I can go after a statement like that. All the best.
Fair enough, but just my response to a second sarcasm from your good self. All the best to you too

11-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have been watching tv all day seeing how my eye wanders and the cuts are so fast you only have time to see one thing. There is a definitive spot.
I would love to know of examples where this is not the case or the secondary piece meal makes the shot.
The rest of this discussion is great and adding so don't stop, it makes me think.
11-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

It is quite interesting to see how much our eyes wander over images selectively focussing on one part then another. There has I believe been research done to chart the whys and wherefores of such movement and I am sure there are learned articles highlighting the mechanics, TBH outside of my pay grade

FWIW you may be interested to look at what was being done by Kodak in the early 50's with their Colorama work.

Ansel Adams Colorama taken in 1954 Bryce Canyon. Made of either 18" or 36” transparancy roll sections joined by tape
https://greg.org/archive/ansel_adams_colorama.jpg

Hung in the Great Hall of Grand Central Station 18 foot x 60 foot. To take it all in working on the diagonal using 1.5x factor about 94 feet away. I would have loved to see such size images and am sure my eye would have been all over the place and I would definitely want to get closer to view detail than any recommended viewing distance

Last edited by TonyW; 11-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.
11-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just picked up food at a place with about a 4' by 6' photo. I spent my time waiting by walking closer and farther away. It was not good closer than about 10' where it took up about the middle of my vision. It lost all interest by about double that because a background element became the center of interest. It definitely had an optimum viewing distance. Yet I think I can add that eliminating that background element would improve that photo.