Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm convinced that my mirror has an old and fat option turned on.
You need to locate the Off button...

11-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You too?

11-15-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I, for one, don't love it
I understand and agree with every post here... I'm sure that most of the people that use LR use the presets. I know quite a bit of

professionals and they just preset away.Or HDR every pic. I'm sure the next big step in Digital will be AI like the pixel.

I remember when my pops thought HDR too easy, it looks fake...blah blah... now he loves it.

If you change your mind later down the road...I forgive you and everyone else in advance.

Last edited by photolady95; 11-15-2018 at 06:42 PM.
11-15-2018, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Laughing so hard I am crying. My mirror is stuck in the same mode!

11-15-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the author thinks HDR is some fancy stuff, I rather discounted his analysis of what that camera is doing.

Maybe I missed something, but most Pentax shooters are pretty familiar with stacking low light shots to get more info and produce better shots. And auto WB is in all Pentaxes, no? This AI doesn't sound a whole lot different than stacking using a Photoshop action, and as such is more about an automated function in post processing that folks use on desktops all time. Or did I miss something?

As to the aesthetics, looks OK to me. And I don't see much difference between doing that and using a flash. At least in terms of altering reality, since either option does that.
11-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Given the author thinks HDR is some fancy stuff, I rather discounted his analysis of what that camera is doing.

Maybe I missed something, but most Pentax shooters are pretty familiar with stacking low light shots to get more info and produce better shots. And auto WB is in all Pentaxes, no? This AI doesn't sound a whole lot different than stacking using a Photoshop action, and as such is more about an automated function in post processing that folks use on desktops all time. Or did I miss something?

As to the aesthetics, looks OK to me. And I don't see much difference between doing that and using a flash. At least in terms of altering reality, since either option does that.
I kind of had the same attitude. But if you are writing to the non-informed these use cases seem like magic. I think the overall point about computational power being applied to pictures and changes to shapes and detail levels that result from it being hard to know without testing is important to understand. It is likely that a lot of innovation will occur around this area. It is unclear how much of it will really be good and how much will be eroding some of the value of a photo.
11-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #22
Pentaxian

You need that phone!

11-15-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/11/14/your-smartphone-photos-...=.3d1f14db7111

Your smartphone photos are totally fake - and you love it

" The little camera on this phone has a superpower. It can see things our eyes cannot . . . "

I, for one, don't love it
That "sort of" take away the fun of being a photographer!
The heck with skills, then !
11-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That "sort of" take away the fun of being a photographer!
The heck with skills, then !
that's is my point

no skill at taking the photo,

no skill at using techniques to do pp

its all done for you

if I understand it correctly
11-15-2018, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

that's is my point

no skill at taking the photo,

no skill at using techniques to do pp

its all done for you

if I understand it correctly
Like shooting JPEGs with one's Pentax? with AF, auto ISO and auto WB? I really don't see much difference. The smartphone can then stack, kinda like how some DSLRs and such do that. And Pentaxes have done in-camera HDR for a while. Not that much here that is specific to the smartphone. And I'd say that it still takes skill to take a good photo no matter what whiz bang is inside; it's still the editorial process of choosing the shot that's the hard part. But YMMV.
11-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I vaguely remember that one of the in-camera digital filters wlas a slimming filter, maybe on the K100D? The K20D had a unique burst mode that would take 20 quick shots and glue them together into a short movie. I wouldn't be that surprised if DSLR makers borrowed some of this tech for their cameras.
11-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read a list last night of “Ten Things the Smart Phone Has Obsoleted in Just Ten Years”.

#6 was a separate camera.

“Who needs a big, expensive, heavy, complicated camera that you have to remember to bring with you when your phone is already in your pocket?” - and “It probably takes better pictures than you do with a separate camera anyway”. Specific reference made to recent advancements in sensor, optics and processing.

I still hate the ergonomics of a phone though.

* Pay Phones, Voice Calls (Text Messages), Long Distance Calls, Maps, Phone Books, Address Books, Flashlights are the other ones I remember.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-15-2018 at 07:19 PM.
11-15-2018, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
“Who needs a big, expensive, heavy, complicated camera that you have to remember to bring without when your phone is already in your pocket? - and it probably takes better pictures than you do with a separate camera anyway”
Who needs a big, expensive, complicated mobile "smart" phone?
11-15-2018, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Who needs a big, expensive, complicated mobile "smart" phone?
Me.

Smartphones are a great photography tool, even if I don't use the camera. Check weather forecasts. Lookup sunrise and sunset times, as well as showing exactly where on the horizon the sun will rise so I know where to put my tripod. Use astronomy apps to help select astrotracer targets. Hiking charts and GPS. Read the camera manual if I don't remember how to use an esoteric feature. Etc.

And email co-workers to say I'll be arriving late, when I want to take photos before work.
11-15-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More about Night Sight here: Google AI Blog: Night Sight: Seeing in the Dark on Pixel Phones

It looks pretty good (but I haven't looked at any full sized samples). Most people I see taking photos are just whipping out their smart phones and really just want the thing they aim their phone at to be recognizable. In poor light, smartphones typically result in a blurred mash. If this gets people a step closer to what they want without having to screw around with all the things photographers enjoy screwing around with and arguing about on the interwebs, that's great. I'm in no position to look down at anyone's lack of interest in cultivating photography skills lest they whip out their hand made ink & quill set and send me a scathing, but beautifully lettered, note mocking my use of a ballpoint pen and deranged looking hand scribbles.