Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would you do?

I just received an SF1 with F28-80 that I won online. It was supposed to have an F35-70 too but that's another issue.

The reason I am posting is that the camera and lens are PRISTINE. The receipt and ALL sales materials were in a hidden compartment in the bag and the orthopedic surgeon who bought it in 1988 paid $793 (I guess I should destroy the credit card slip) with camera, lens, cleaning kit, bag, Tiffen UV filter, and battery. Wow, and I got it all for $17.

Anyway, there's Fujichrome 100 color slide film in the camera and it had 18 of the 36 shots taken when I received it. The box for the film is with the kit and it says process before 1992-8. Heck, there's an orthopedic surgery conference brochure in the bag from 1989. Heck, she's in practice in MN now.

So, what would you do with the film?

11-16-2018, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I just received an SF1 with F28-80 that I won online. It was supposed to have an F35-70 too but that's another issue.

The reason I am posting is that the camera and lens are PRISTINE. The receipt and ALL sales materials were in a hidden compartment in the bag and the orthopedic surgeon who bought it in 1988 paid $793 (I guess I should destroy the credit card slip) with camera, lens, cleaning kit, bag, Tiffen UV filter, and battery. Wow, and I got it all for $17.

Anyway, there's Fujichrome 100 color slide film in the camera and it had 18 of the 36 shots taken when I received it. The box for the film is with the kit and it says process before 1992-8. Heck, there's an orthopedic surgery conference brochure in the bag from 1989. Heck, she's in practice in MN now.

So, what would you do with the film?
I bought an LX under similar circumstances. Sent a note to the ostensible owner; he responded and I sent the film on. He had hand loaded bulk film and had traded in the LX on a 5D. Both he and the shop forgot to check. The shop just put the camera in the Pentax case with the CLA Details from a year prior and all the other goodies. I got lucky and bought the camera the next day.
11-16-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Just send it in for development. Maybe after using the rest of the film. I've sent in old rolls I found at home 20+ years old and they've turned out fine. Other people have sent in old rolls, too, and have recovered precious memories. Remember that slides are a whole different beast. That means huge color shifts the more expired, but there's probably something to recover from there. If not, at least you tried.
I'm always curious, so I would do it. I would also try to contact the family and send them their pictures if there are people depicted. Maybe it could turn out to be invaluable to them. Perhaps someone that already passed away and they want to remember.

11-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a making of a mystery novel.

11-16-2018, 04:18 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Worst case scenario they're of her kids in the bath and you're apprehended when you collect the prints!
11-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Worst case scenario they're of her kids in the bath and you're apprehended when you collect the prints!
Interesting, if depressingly negative, perspective. Thanks....I think.
11-16-2018, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Rewind the rest of the roll.
2. Attempt to contact previous owner.
3. If she replies offer to send her the unprocessed film.
4. If not trash it.

Though unlikely she could claim the outfit was stolen, so save your receipt.

The simplest solution is to go directly to step #4 above.

Chris

11-16-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This makes me think back to a business ethics class many many years ago and some of the fun stuff we'd debate. It kinda gets down to how badly you want to know what's on the roll versus guilt over the "right thing". You could say since you know who the person is, have some idea of how to contact them, and perhaps there might even be professionally related photos on it - what type of surgeon is this? Could be interesting if they are a plastic surgeon, but I digress. So, you could have fun with the argument that the "right" thing to do is make at least one attempt to see if they care to get it back. Or perhaps have fun with the argument that the person was so careless with their equipment etc. as to be of no issue to play finders keepers. But then again, maybe it was stolen from them, and that's why it as you received it. Not helping, am I?

Make sure you post back what you find after finishing it off.
11-16-2018, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I see Chris and I were thinking the stolen angle simultaneously. I go there since I lost my K1000 at gunpoint.

But I'd say give at least one attempt to see if they want it back.
11-16-2018, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

For $17 I would like to buy the story behind that purchase, and I would contact the owner to find out.
11-16-2018, 08:33 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just write the good doctor a note:

"I have your pictures" should be enough to get their attention.

Make sure you cut the letters out of old magazines.
11-16-2018, 08:46 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Just write the good doctor a note:

"I have your pictures" should be enough to get their attention.

Make sure you cut the letters out of old magazines.
Where are my hoodie and reflective sunglasses......
11-17-2018, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Where are my hoodie and reflective sunglasses......
Just crop your avatar tighter
11-17-2018, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

why not just sending the roll of film to the Dr?

if you develop it, or have it developed you are, in effect, invading the Dr.'s privacy aren't you ?
11-17-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I would just trash the film.