Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2018, 03:27 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting story of camera repairer and his notes...

I just read this quite interesting story on the Australian ABC News site...

“Restoring and recording the cameras of yesteryear

Tucked away in the garage of his Dubbo home Ben Vang finds new life in the 'organs' of 'dead' vintage cameras.”

Vintage camera enthusiast hopes to share vast archive of notes and illustrations - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

One of the interesting points is that he has made notes on every camera model he has repaired, over 3000 models apparently, and is hoping to find someone to purchase/take on these notes.

I hope people like this are able to find ‘apprentices’ or otherwise pass on their knowledge...

Cheers

Dean

Apologies if there is already a post on this article. I did a quick search and couldn’t see one.

11-20-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this

I wonder what proportion of his notes relates to cameras and lenses - especially lenses - from the 1950s onwards? And I wonder how much he's looking for to sell those notes
11-20-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this

I wonder what proportion of his notes relates to cameras and lenses - especially lenses - from the 1950s onwards? And I wonder how much he's looking for to sell those notes
Yeah, the article seems to place the emphasis on the ‘clockwork’ nature of the cameras and his focus on camera repair, but you’d have to assume he would have worked on lenses too.

I wonder how many Soviet lenses ended up in Dubbo?

Cheers

Dean
11-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
Unsurprisingly, my thoughts exactly, Dean

11-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing!
11-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
[snip] but you’d have to assume he would have worked on lenses too. [snip]
You don't have to assume... in one of the pictures one tab in the file reads "CANON EOS LENSES"
11-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the article seems to place the emphasis on the ‘clockwork’ nature of the cameras and his focus on camera repair, but you’d have to assume he would have worked on lenses too.

Cheers

Dean
Good question. Dubbo isn’t that far from Parkes (in Australian travel terms, anyway). Those who understand the reference will get it, otherwise have a search for radio telescope (or “The Dish”).

I’ve previously passed that article to a friend of mine who repairs old cameras for friends and for one of the remaining camera shops here.
11-20-2018, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You don't have to assume... in one of the pictures one tab in the file reads "CANON EOS LENSES"
I'm looking and hoping for the tabs that say "Helios", "Jupiter", "Zenitar" etc.

11-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #9

Thanks for link: I've done very little of camera, lens and flash repair out of necessity and admire those who can do it with skill even in their golden years.
11-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

... and one of photos pictures Mr Vang with Asahi Pentax (Spotmatic F?) Thanks for sharing!
11-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 05:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yep, it certainly sounds like he knows his way around some gear! And great forethought and dedication to keep such good records.

Cheers

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 05:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Good question. Dubbo isn’t that far from Parkes (in Australian travel terms, anyway). Those who understand the reference will get it, otherwise have a search for radio telescope (or “The Dish”).

I’ve previously passed that article to a friend of mine who repairs old cameras for friends and for one of the remaining camera shops here.
Nice reference

I admire people who have the dedication and patience for this kind of work. I recently had my watch repaired and the fella here in Perth is a true watchmaker and technician...it was amazing seeing his casual ease moving around the tiny innards of a watch while cheerily chatting with me.

Cheers

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 05:28 AM ----------

I'm looking and hoping for the tabs that say "Helios", "Jupiter", "Zenitar" etc.
What you wouldn’t give, right?

Side note Big Mack...have you had much to do with the ridiculous MTO 1000A 1100mm lens? One has popped up for sale recently and it’s pretty tempting just for its novelty...just wondering if it’s as much of a pain/difficult to use/deal with as I imagine it is?

Cheers

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 05:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
Thanks for link: I've done very little of camera, lens and flash repair out of necessity and admire those who can do it with skill even in their golden years.
Yes, good (frustrating at times) fun I’ve done some work on Takumars and they (to me) seem very well manufactured and designed with most everything ending up back where it should. I’ve also made the mistake of opening some other branded lenses, getting a few layers in and thinking ‘I’ve made a huge mistake’

Cheers

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 05:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
... and one of photos pictures Mr Vang with Asahi Pentax (Spotmatic F?) Thanks for sharing!
Ah, well spotted...I was reading the article on my phone at lunch break and didn’t focus (*groan*) on the images too much/enough

Cheers
11-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Side note Big Mack...have you had much to do with the ridiculous MTO 1000A 1100mm lens? One has popped up for sale recently and it’s pretty tempting just for its novelty...just wondering if it’s as much of a pain/difficult to use/deal with as I imagine it is?
I have that lens and it's very good considering the vintage... but it's slow, **HUGE**, only practical for tripod use, and you need one with a well-serviced / lubricated focusing helicoid, or be prepared to service it yourself. It would probably mount OK on a K-5 series or earlier (or K-01), but on the K-3 and K-3II the overhang of the prism / flash housing will prevent you from mounting it without an extension tube, and then you lose infinity focus.

A far better and more practical choice is the 3M-5CA 8/500. Of course, the magnification of the subject isn't as large, but with modern high resolution sensors that's really not a problem as you can crop. It'll mount on the K-3 series (and probably any other Pentax DSLR - but check first ) as it's much smaller at the base. Plus, it's quite small, very light, hand-holdable and - here's the clincher - with an f/8 aperture, it lets in more light, so you can use lower ISO settings. If you get a well-looked-after example, it's one of the best catadioptric lenses you'll find.

The MTO-1000 and MT-11 look impressive on the shelf, and they *are* usable with the right camera and tripod setup. But the 3M-5CA is a better, more versatile lens
12-01-2018, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have that lens and it's very good considering the vintage... but it's slow, **HUGE**, only practical for tripod use, and you need one with a well-serviced / lubricated focusing helicoid, or be prepared to service it yourself. It would probably mount OK on a K-5 series or earlier (or K-01), but on the K-3 and K-3II the overhang of the prism / flash housing will prevent you from mounting it without an extension tube, and then you lose infinity focus.

A far better and more practical choice is the 3M-5CA 8/500. Of course, the magnification of the subject isn't as large, but with modern high resolution sensors that's really not a problem as you can crop. It'll mount on the K-3 series (and probably any other Pentax DSLR - but check first ) as it's much smaller at the base. Plus, it's quite small, very light, hand-holdable and - here's the clincher - with an f/8 aperture, it lets in more light, so you can use lower ISO settings. If you get a well-looked-after example, it's one of the best catadioptric lenses you'll find.

The MTO-1000 and MT-11 look impressive on the shelf, and they *are* usable with the right camera and tripod setup. But the 3M-5CA is a better, more versatile lens
Thanks Mike for a very helpful and detailed reply

All of that info makes perfect sense, and the practicalities of use of a niche lens like this is certainly a big consideration.

I’m sure I dont need an 1100mm...and it’s certainly questionable how frequently I’d use it, but it’s hard to not want something quite so ridiculous as this

Cheers
Dean