Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More than a year ago, I purchased a KP and a DA 55-300 PLM, and with all my other glass I thought I was set for life. But then Pentax had to release the K-1ii, which drove down prices on the original K-1 and suddenly made the addition of a FF kit financially feasible. So last summer and this fall turned into another, although kept in reasonable bounds, gear acquisition debauch:

Used K-1, with 170 shutter actuations.
DFA 28-105
F 17-28, because fisheye zoom is critical for my kit

I still plan to do most of my longer telephoto work with my KP, but when I don't want to drag along an extra camera, I got a couple of legacy telephoto zooms on the cheap:

A 70-200/4
FA-J 75-300

I also bought a Sirui K-30 ballhead (to replace a broken Feisol ballhead) and a Pentax AF500 FTZ flash.

Going forward, I think henceforth I can keep the GAS to a minimum --- although I do need a lens for astrophotography and an L plate for K-1 might be nice as well.

12-12-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #62

Photos: Albums
I'm going to be AirBNB hopping for the next 4-6 months so I've justified a lot of GAS on those grounds:

Wandrd Prvke 31 backpack (goofy name, great bag)
Sirui ET-1204 carbon fiber tripod and E-10 ball head (replacing a too large, too heavy 10+-year-old aluminum Benro and a thoroughly mediocre Giottos head)
Kirk arca-compatible L bracket for K-1
Used Sigma APO DG 70-300, because I don't like lugging the Tamron 70-200 around. I like it well enough so far, seems to be noticeably better optically than the Tamron 70-300, especially on the long end, and a fair bit better mechanically too (nicer finish, no hitch in the zoom action at 180-200).
Used 43 ltd at an ebay auction price that was too good to pass up.

The 70-300 and 43 will join my FA 20-35 (or maybe Tamron 17-35, if I can squeeze it in), 77 ltd, and GR in the travel kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
an L plate for K-1 might be nice as well.
Can recommend the Kirk bracket for K-1 - the ony Arca plate I was able to find that's specifically designed for it. It doesn't block access to anything. Even has a cutout to let you get your finger under the LCD to flip it up.
12-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
Can recommend the Kirk bracket for K-1 - the ony Arca plate I was able to find that's specifically designed for it. It doesn't block access to anything. Even has a cutout to let you get your finger under the LCD to flip it up.
Thanks for the heads up. That's obviously the one I'll get.
12-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #64

Photos: Albums
Turns out RRS has one too. I must not have looked at B+H, it isn't sold on Amazon or Adorama. But the Kirk has a loop for a hand strap, so it's the one I would have gotten anyway.