Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Are you sick with this disease? how deep and what will be your next acquisition on black friday?

11-21-2018, 03:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GAS hit me really bad, but I am recovering now. I had to fathom the deepest depths before finding some kind of peace. I think it fair to say that the degree of my infliction is best summarised by saying that I am the proud caretaker of one Pentax AP, three Pentax S and three Pentax K (one being black). I guess I am still looking for a black Pentax AP and Pentax S ......
11-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not remotely. I buy what I need to achieve what I want and when I purchase an upgrade I sell the upgraded item. I'm not seduced by the (often artificial) reductions on black friday deals, unless it happens to be what I was already looking for and is genuinely cheaper than I have seen before. Most 'deals', are on items that increased in price a month or so before, only to be reduced again. Which (consumer reports) recently found that >80% of black friday items were cheaper before or after.

Maybe I am the sick one, but I am not so easily parted with my money.
11-21-2018, 03:51 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

awful, this condition...

in the last 3 months, I've purchased an entirely new camera/mount system and working feverishly to buy lenses for that mount.... six lenses bought, with lucky #7 arriving today or Friday....

11-21-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The older I became, more I had problems with GAS. I think I have it under control now, and I've realized that they were right, the Earth is flat, the Moon is made of green cheese, there's a glacier advancing into Death Valley, and pigs can fly. It's a good thing I sell off some equipment that I'm not using, otherwise there would be no room in my "studio" to put down something to photograph.
11-21-2018, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter

I was doing OK I made it about 6 weeks since I bought a K-5 for $120. Then someone had to post a 55-300 PLM for $225. I just can’t look away from a deal.
11-21-2018, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally purchased a K-1 from a PF member. That should do for a while, because the K-1 really makes the most of makes all the film-era lenses I currently own, so I have months of rediscovery, thanks to the Single In and Daily In threads.

11-21-2018, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, what of it!?!
11-21-2018, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I've been clean for 3 months now, one day at a time.
11-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm holding my GAS in for a apsc replacement.
There's so many shiny new options and tech that my K-S2 doesn't have :/
Was a great camera to start learning with though!
11-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
GAS hit me really bad, but I am recovering now. I had to fathom the deepest depths before finding some kind of peace. I think it fair to say that the degree of my infliction is best summarised by saying that I am the proud caretaker of one Pentax AP, three Pentax S and three Pentax K (one being black). I guess I am still looking for a black Pentax AP and Pentax S ......
Glad you're fine now

I wonder if it's legit to say you have GAS if you're buying because you have endless budget or you discover it when you got everything you need for your photography style but you still looking for something else to try?
11-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've actually managed to avoid buying anything for about a year and a half. My last acquisition was a K200D, which has become my favorite camera. I just wish I had more time to enjoy it.
11-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, I'm cured... for now
11-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

does making a donation to the forum to take advantage of the holiday offer count as GAS?

since you get ebooks as part of the reward ???

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-21-2018 at 03:15 PM.
11-21-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
awful, this condition...

in the last 3 months, I've purchased an entirely new camera/mount system and working feverishly to buy lenses for that mount.... six lenses bought, with lucky #7 arriving today or Friday....
What system did you get into? What lenses?

In the last three months, I've started shooting with an m42 camera and picked up a Tamron 01bb (24mm), a Tamron 52b (90mm "portrait macro"), a Tokina-made, Vivitar-branded 35mm f2.8, and a Super-Tak 55 f2.

Over the holiday weekend I'm going to try and secure a good copy of the Chinon CE-5. Can't quite justify paying what a good Pentax LX goes for and this seems like about the best 3rd party imitation going.