Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #1

Purple fringing soon to be a thing in the past?

Interesting article

Researchers figure out how to eliminate purple fringing in photography - TechSpot

11-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat but a bit light on details. The original Harvard press release is better.
11-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The full description can be found in "Supporting Information for: Broadband achromatic metasurface-refractive optics".

The PDF can be downloaded here;
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acs.nanolett.8b03567/suppl_file/nl8b03567_si_001.pdf
11-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The PDF can be downloaded here;
I didn't find that when I searched and only found the one behind the journal that wants you to pay. Seems impressive and looks like it would basically make any lens a superachromat one.

11-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I didn't find that when I searched and only found the one behind the journal that wants you to pay. Seems impressive and looks like it would basically make any lens a superachromat one.
If I understand correctly, this is a coating the manufacturer would apply, so the "any lens" translates to "any new lens that purchases their coating" - I wonder how much that would increase demand for new lenses.

Last edited by reh321; 11-22-2018 at 09:41 PM.
11-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If I understand correctly, this is a coating the manufacturer would apply, so the "any lens" translate to "any new lens" - I wonder how much that would increase demand for new lenses.
New designs, I reckon. At the moment you tend to put a correcting second element of a different refractive index in front of the first, now it could instead be a coating of this stuff in a vaporization chamber.

Real world performance versus corrective elements or fluorite glass? We'll have to wait and see. They're in the research/proof-of-concept stage, so by going to the press they're fishing for investors.
11-22-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This group has been working on this sort of thing for several years. The technique is similar to that of a Fresnel lens, but at a nano scale. The linked article makes somewhat larger claims than the actual article it was based on, but still this is very interesting.

Steve

11-23-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The linked article makes somewhat larger claims than the actual article it was based on, but still this is very interesting.
That is why I was looking for the original. It seems like what ever gets published in the mainstream is very different from the original journal or technical paper. It still does look to be fairly impressive in what it was able to do