Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Actually not! You want a millimeter radio telescope. The spectrum of the Big Bang cosmic background radiation peaks in the millimeter wavelength range. I think the dish in your picture is actually a satellite communication antenna, which operates at centimeter wavelengths.

You need something like this one. More information at LMT - Large Millimeter Telescope Alfonso Serrano

PS I am a radio astronomer; these antennas are my bag!
Thanks for clearing up that detail.

BTW, the dish in my picture is the Yevpatoria RT-70 radio telescope. It is one of only two in the world that are able to transmit messages to extraterrestrial civilizations. So it is both a radio telescope and a communication antenna, hehehehe.

Yevpatoria RT-70 radio telescope - Wikipedia

PS: thanks for the link. Really interesting. I don't know a lot about radio telescopes, but the regular lens used to photograph it seems to exhibit a bit of barrel distortion.

Last edited by Wasp; 11-24-2018 at 01:31 AM.
11-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You lost me at the part where they get to see the president.
Think of it this way. If somebody walks into a company with a certified bank check for 10 million dollars, even if you are talking to a VP, that check, after it gets verified, will make people sit up very quickly. Now, as a president of a company, would you like it to get out to the stockholders of the company, that you turned away 10 million dollars in profit?

Even if that person starts with a salesman, for that amount of money, I think, that person would soon be talking to someone a lot higher up in the company.
11-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Start a GoFundMe, or other crowdfunding thing, to get a 10 million dollar pile of cash and test it out.
My thought (fantasy) has always been, what would I do if I ever won the power ball for like 500 million dollars.
11-24-2018, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Think of it this way. If somebody walks into a company with a certified bank check for 10 million dollars, even if you are talking to a VP, that check, after it gets verified, will make people sit up very quickly. Now, as a president of a company, would you like it to get out to the stockholders of the company, that you turned away 10 million dollars in profit?

Even if that person starts with a salesman, for that amount of money, I think, that person would soon be talking to someone a lot higher up in the company.
The question remains would the 10 million be better spent at Pentax headquarters? I'd offer the Pentax president a million lens for the 10 lenses most desired by forum users, and insist that the price reflect the user investment. I rather have "modern lenses for modern sensors" than what ever it is Sigma is producing these days.

Especially with the DFA 50 1.4 coming in ahead of the Sigma Art 50 1.4, and the DA 55-300 PLM besting the Sigma 70-300 according to many sources, Pentax is currently passing Sigma in both the cheap end and the expensive end. We just need to encourage them to release more lenses quicker.

11-24-2018, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

11-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That wouldn't be a $10 million profit. The retrofitting of Pentax compatibility to a lens design isn't free, there's design work and retooling costs as well as opportunity costs to take into account. (Lost opportunity to design and make lenses that will sell for a long time to other brands)

Ultimately it would be a decision based around many factors but one that would stand out is tactical net profit vs strategic market plans.
11-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You do understand that it's not just as simple as slapping a K mount ring on an existing body, right?
Yes I do know that.

It's also interesting that I have in my bags right now, a couple of Sigma lenses with Pentax auto focus built in. So it's not like Sigma couldn't do it, and yes I admit, the lenses I have are screwdrive but I digress. How hard would it be for Sigma to reverse engineer the Kaf4 mount?

Another point of contention I have with Sigma is the excuse they use as to why they will not make Pentax mount lenses. "We have stopped making Pentax mounts because they just don't sell. We end up with them sitting on a shelf in our warehouse."

I call bull on that because ALL of the lenses they are making right now also come in the Sigma camera mount. Who has ever even seen a Sigma camera? How many Sigma cameras are sold in a year?

11-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The question remains would the 10 million be better spent at Pentax headquarters? I'd offer the Pentax president a million lens for the 10 lenses most desired by forum users, and insist that the price reflect the user investment. I rather have "modern lenses for modern sensors" than what ever it is Sigma is producing these days.

Especially with the DFA 50 1.4 coming in ahead of the Sigma Art 50 1.4, and the DA 55-300 PLM besting the Sigma 70-300 according to many sources, Pentax is currently passing Sigma in both the cheap end and the expensive end. We just need to encourage them to release more lenses quicker.
I totally agree. 10 million just being dropped on Pentax's door step would be a big incentive.

Part of why I have this thought of giving a third party lens maker is as long as I have been on this forum, when ever somebody come on here talking about maybe switching to the Pentax system and ask what the pro's and con's are. It seem that the most common con that is mentioned is the lack of third party lens support. I was talking about Sigma but any third party lens maker could be used instead of Sigma.

Yeah, I know, I am just kind of stupid this way.
11-24-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I totally agree. 10 million just being dropped on Pentax's door step would be a big incentive.

Part of why I have this thought of giving a third party lens maker is as long as I have been on this forum, when ever somebody come on here talking about maybe switching to the Pentax system and ask what the pro's and con's are. It seem that the most common con that is mentioned is the lack of third party lens support. I was talking about Sigma but any third party lens maker could be used instead of Sigma.

Yeah, I know, I am just kind of stupid this way.
What we need here is clearly 10 million for each of Tamron, Sigma and Pentax. We could have a competition, see which one gives us the most to get their share of the 30 million. The winner gets and extra 5 million.

Last edited by normhead; 11-24-2018 at 08:00 AM.
11-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes I do know that.

It's also interesting that I have in my bags right now, a couple of Sigma lenses with Pentax auto focus built in. So it's not like Sigma couldn't do it, and yes I admit, the lenses I have are screwdrive but I digress. How hard would it be for Sigma to reverse engineer the Kaf4 mount?

Another point of contention I have with Sigma is the excuse they use as to why they will not make Pentax mount lenses. "We have stopped making Pentax mounts because they just don't sell. We end up with them sitting on a shelf in our warehouse."

I call bull on that because ALL of the lenses they are making right now also come in the Sigma camera mount. Who has ever even seen a Sigma camera? How many Sigma cameras are sold in a year?
I talked to Sigma once about this on the phone and their comment was that if they didn’t make lenses for their own system, who would?

Looking at B&H, they only have four Sigma SAlenses in stock out of all of them so that says something about their popularity.

In any case, the mount is being discontinued.
11-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Yes I do know that.

Geez. You say you understand but you then say its easy because they've done it before. Different register distances, electronics, programming, etc. Sorry, the R&D cost in both money and time is real. I'd love for Sigma to renew offering K mount lenses, but I do understand that the demand is not sufficient to warrant the infrastructure investment, not simply the warehouse stock investment.
11-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That wouldn't be a $10 million profit. The retrofitting of Pentax compatibility to a lens design isn't free, there's design work and retooling costs as well as opportunity costs to take into account. (Lost opportunity to design and make lenses that will sell for a long time to other brands)

Ultimately it would be a decision based around many factors but one that would stand out is tactical net profit vs strategic market plans.
I get that UncleV. I was just trying to make it as simple as I could. Also in the scenario I am describing, I would not be asking Sigma (or any third party) to make new lenses. All I would be asking is to put the Kaf2 or 3 on the lenses that is already in production. They already have the tooling for the most part, so tooling cost should be minimal.

As I said up above, still using Sigma, all the new lenses they are making are coming in the Sigma mount. Who has seen a Sigma camera? How many Sigma mount lenses are sold a year? And then Sigma says that Pentax mount lenses just don't sell but yet they will shut down a line just to make 100 lenses that don't sell either?

As I said up above, I am just kind of stupid this way.
11-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I get that UncleV. I was just trying to make it as simple as I could. Also in the scenario I am describing, I would not be asking Sigma (or any third party) to make new lenses. All I would be asking is to put the Kaf2 or 3 on the lenses that is already in production. They already have the tooling for the most part, so tooling cost should be minimal.

As I said up above, still using Sigma, all the new lenses they are making are coming in the Sigma mount. Who has seen a Sigma camera? How many Sigma mount lenses are sold a year? And then Sigma says that Pentax mount lenses just don't sell but yet they will shut down a line just to make 100 lenses that don't sell either?

I told them they should have licensed K-mount for Sigma cameras, but, would they listen?
11-24-2018, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Think of it this way. If somebody walks into a company with a certified bank check for 10 million dollars, even if you are talking to a VP, that check...
A dufflebag stuffed with $10million cash will get results quicker- either being passed up to a decision maker or taken out back and mugged by sigma employees

If your powerball dream comes through, you might want to talk to leica or zeiss, they've been open to custom jobs in the past: 1600mm Leica Lens Is World's Most Expensive At $2 Million | Popular Photography
11-24-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

It's a family owned company, Dave. Obviously this eccentric, ego-driven money pit wouldn't be allowed to happen if it was publicly listed and had real shareholders.