Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if they have Canon/Nikon/Sigma models just sitting around waiting to be purchased or if they're all custom assemblies done to order?

Give them a ring and see if they follow the "customer can have whatever the customer is willing to pay for" model.

11-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Wow! And hand held too.
11-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Until Pentax "can,( maybe and hopefully ?)" come up with a "giant-kiler" body tht makes Sigma "sit up" and support it.
11-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #19

For that awkward photo shoot...

11-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElwoodP Quote
For that awkward photo shoot...
...like when you land in the wrong country.
11-23-2018, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
PS: for capturing the Big Bang something like this would work a lot better.
Actually not! You want a millimeter radio telescope. The spectrum of the Big Bang cosmic background radiation peaks in the millimeter wavelength range. I think the dish in your picture is actually a satellite communication antenna, which operates at centimeter wavelengths.

You need something like this one. More information at LMT - Large Millimeter Telescope Alfonso Serrano

PS I am a radio astronomer; these antennas are my bag!
Attached Images

11-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
“Not for street photography”
Can’t stop laughing - I’m almost crying.
Fantastic link c.a.m!

11-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
Can’t stop laughing - I’m almost crying.
I know. My wife asked me "What are you reading in there?"

One of my favourite comments: (a 3-star review)

I've been reading that this unit may suffer from sporadic backfocus problems.
Has anyone else experienced this? Apparently, when focusing on Saturn, the snaps
come out kinda fuzzy. Jupiter? Pretty sharp! Same shot!

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-23-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added quote
11-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Sigma made K mount lenses until fairly recently(*) but terminated production because of low demand.

This bad boy, however, is/was only available in Canon, Nikon, and Sigma mount.

If you really, really want to use it with a K1, get a Nikon mount and do a Leitax conversion on it. Alternatively, just get a D850 or a Z7. Or a nice new car.

(*) not sure exactly when but I think it was about a year ago

PS: for capturing the Big Bang something like this would work a lot better.
Sigma still makes lenses in the K-Mount.

Per Sigma:

“Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. There has been no news of current lenses being discontinued in Pentax mount (unless the lens it’s self is discontinued), but we have not offered any new selections in Pentax mount in a few years, and I doubt we will see any additional models.”

This is from 10/17/18 so it is really current.
So what they currently making they will continue to make but probably no new designs.

That applies to the A-mount and of course they have never made lenses for a Fuji so don’t expect any for them either.

So except for Canikony, the L mount and a few MFT, they aren’t investing in any other mounts.

The same attitude appears to apply to Tamron.
11-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have always wondered what would happen if a person would walk into Sigma's headquarters and ask to see the president of the company and then when that person gets to see the president, tells the president that they wants to buy 10 million dollars worth of all the Sigma lenses that are currently being made, but they all have to be in the Pentax mount.

Would the president turn down 10 million dollars just because Sigma is not making lenses with a Pentax mount?
11-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I have always wondered what would happen if a person would walk into Sigma's headquarters and ask to see the president of the company and then when that person gets to see the president, tells the president that they wants to buy 10 million dollars worth of all the Sigma lenses that are currently being made, but they all have to be in the Pentax mount.

Would the president turn down 10 million dollars just because Sigma is not making lenses with a Pentax mount?
You lost me at the part where they get to see the president.
11-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Start a GoFundMe, or other crowdfunding thing, to get a 10 million dollar pile of cash and test it out.
11-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Sigh! Not gonna happen.I don't get it. For the cost of a DFA 150-450 $1700

Nikon D5300- 619
Sigma 150-600 917 -

$1536
https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-150-600mm-5-6-3-Contemporary-Nikon/dp/B00THP1A1C

You want Sigma lenses go for it. It's not Pentax's fault you're not buying them. You can get enough for your K3 or K-3 to offset the cost of the D5300. What is wrong with people?

Last edited by normhead; 11-23-2018 at 06:36 PM.
11-23-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

You do understand that it's not just as simple as slapping a K mount ring on an existing body, right?
11-24-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I know. My wife asked me "What are you reading in there?"

One of my favourite comments: (a 3-star review)

I've been reading that this unit may suffer from sporadic backfocus problems.
Has anyone else experienced this? Apparently, when focusing on Saturn, the snaps
come out kinda fuzzy. Jupiter? Pretty sharp! Same shot!
So did mine, she was trying to sleep