Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2018, 03:27 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can take amazing pictures with any camera.

It's quite often I hear that statement addressed to newbies from experienced photographers. Yesterday while watching the video on youtube I heard that again. I don't like that statement which became kind of cliche. The photographer said that, like yes, I can assure you that you can take amazing picture with anything you use. But then she refers "any" to her older digital Canon with 50mm inexpensive prime. Excuse me, I also can take good picture with my old K200D and vintage lens, or inexpensive (but good) 50mm f1.8. How this can be "any"?

Or you can take an amazing picture with your cellphone, she added. Well, true, but not everytime. I can't take an amazing bird picture with cellphone or with old point and shoot camera compare to even inexpensive telephoto lens. Not even near.

And those who tell that nonsense always happened to shoot with full frame most expensive gear. How about any gear, huh? Why not to tell the truth: the proper tools for the proper job. Simple.
(end of the rant)

11-23-2018, 03:59 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the guys I follow on 500px shot most of his landscapes with nikon d3200 and a single lens. His work is miles ahead of what I achieved so far with far more capable gear, so I stay humbled

Tomasz Raciniewski (hawranekk) Photos / 500px

Last edited by awscreo; 11-23-2018 at 04:21 PM.
11-23-2018, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
One of the guys I follow on 500px shot most of his landscapes with nikon d3200 and a single lens. His work is miles ahead of what I achieved so far with a far more capable gear, so I stay humbled

Thanks for sharing this. It is a remarkable body of work with a Sigma 10-20mm lens over a number of years. It is a capable camera / lens / photog combo with good PP skills so it fits the criteria nicely. Perhaps the definition of 'any' should be tightened up a bit?.
11-23-2018, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LOL! So true!

Yes, any camera can take good pictures under the right situation. But does not mean every camera does a good job in every situation.

Some pictures really do require the resolution, dynamic range, IBIS, exposure controls, exotic lens focal length, bright aperture, etc. of a high-spec large-sensor camera and high-spec lens (and cannot be done with a smartphone).

But it also means that some pictures really do require the tiny form factor and awkward camera positioning only possible with a smartphone or tablet (and cannot be done with a "big" camera.)

11-23-2018, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Thanks for sharing this. It is a remarkable body of work with a Sigma 10-20mm lens over a number of years. It is a capable camera / lens / photog combo with good PP skills so it fits the criteria nicely. Perhaps the definition of 'any' should be tightened up a bit?.
I've seen a Canon 5D for like $150 on ebay, that plus 50 1.8 gives you a full frame camera. That'd cover a lot of ground for any photographer I think. Dunno, I don't particularly see anything wrong with her statement. Any camera you can buy now can give good results. If she specifically mentioned say action photography or wild life, then yes, you'd need a highly specialized tool for that. But for general photography almost any camera will get you like 70% of the way. Then you get hooked and spend an extra 2000 to get the remaining 30%))
11-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's of course an exaggeration that the camera doesn't matter one bit. But I usually hear this told to aspiring photographers that ask things like "nice picture, what camera do you have" or, even worse, aren't at all thinking about their photo because "it's just a cell phone photo." I see this kind of statement aimed to get people to start taking photos with what they have, and worry about gear later.
11-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pinhole camera for sports? Absolutistic statements are inherently questionable in their veracity. A single counter example that undermines the assertion disproves the assertion.

11-23-2018, 05:31 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I think it's simply a response to people who think they can't take a good picture and blame it on the camera instead of their ability and understanding of the tool.
11-23-2018, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I think it's simply a response to people who think they can't take a good picture and blame it on the camera instead of their ability and understanding of the tool.
But its an untrue statement which undermines the real message.
11-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the guys I follow on 500px shot most of his landscapes with nikon d3200 and a single lens. His work is miles ahead of what I achieved so far with far more capable gear, so I stay humbled

Photographers who get results like that are something apart. Inspiring, humbling, intimidating - which response should I have? All of them. They do something different, something I don't understand.
11-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photos. Just added him to follow on Flickr.
11-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Photographers who get results like that are something apart. Inspiring, humbling, intimidating - which response should I have? All of them. They do something different, something I don't understand.
It's more inspiring to me, I'm trying to push myself to get to that level)
11-23-2018, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Truly amazing work. But with the decent gear, hardly called "any". Plus, it seems that he uses ND filters, and Photoshop clean up.

---------- Post added 11-23-18 at 07:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
It may be. But the statement about "any" gear is misleading as well to be the answer on those blames.
11-23-2018, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

"Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera Challenge®" Series by DigitalRev - YouTube

I find these fun to watch and they get some good stuff.
11-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Pinhole camera for sports? Absolutistic statements are inherently questionable in their veracity. A single counter example that undermines the assertion disproves the assertion.