Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2018, 10:40 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The unbridled joy of dogs catching treats

The unbridled joy of dogs catching treats

11-28-2018, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #2

While all the photos are very good, funny and lovely, taking photo with flash to the dogs in short distance (into their eyes) is NOT a good idea as this may trigger a seizure on the dogs !! and the helpless when you see your dog have a seizure is never can forget...
11-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
While all the photos are very good, funny and lovely, taking photo with flash to the dogs in short distance (into their eyes) is NOT a good idea as this may trigger a seizure on the dogs !! and the helpless when you see your dog have a seizure is never can forget...
I had never heard that. I suspect that dogs with a seizure disorder could have photo sensitivity triggers as humans can in rare cases. The way you state it here makes it sound like any healthy dog that has never had a seizure could be affected. Are there any citations you know of or has this happened to you?
11-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SO what percentage of dogs does this happen to?
Is this a case of "Try it and if your dog has seizure don't do it again."

One of our dogs had a seizures from time to time. We'd just sit down on the floor and stay with him until he came to. Hardly a devastating experience. During the 8 years I knew him he probably had 20. But, I guess every seizure is different.

11-28-2018, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The photographer says that he tests the dogs' response to the flash -

“After that, I start feeding the dog with his favorite treats to become his best friend for the next 30 minutes,” Vieler said. “Once we have our ‘deal,’ I start with low-level flashing.”

A small number of dogs — about 5%, he said — get scared by the flash. If Vieler notices any stress, he stops shooting immediately. He doesn’t want any of them to suffer. And he said a stressed dog won’t eat treats anyway.
11-28-2018, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I had never heard that. I suspect that dogs with a seizure disorder could have photo sensitivity triggers as humans can in rare cases. The way you state it here makes it sound like any healthy dog that has never had a seizure could be affected. Are there any citations you know of or has this happened to you?
I had my French Bull dog suffer from seizure (~ once per month) since he was 2 years old until he pass away at 11 ~2 years ago. I did read many books and search on the web and also consult my vet in this period and understand there is no definite reason for dogs' seizure. They could cause by brain issue, tumour issue or just get it from its parent. My reading suggest to avoid the dog became too excit, (like strong flasing lights and voice) and depress so to minimize the chance of trigger the seizure, and this usually not happen immediately but hours or one day later. Also the threshold of a seizure happen will became lower and lower as the seizure happen more.

I shot many many photos on my dog and I never use the flash once I knew it may have the chance to cause his seizure. I just like to share my experience and my last post mentioned : While all the photos are very good, funny and lovely, taking photo with flash to the dogs in short distance (into their eyes) is NOT a good idea as this may trigger a seizure on the dogs !!

Thanks

---------- Post added 11-28-18 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO what percentage of dogs does this happen to?
Is this a case of "Try it and if your dog has seizure don't do it again."

One of our dogs had a seizures from time to time. We'd just sit down on the floor and stay with him until he came to. Hardly a devastating experience. During the 8 years I knew him he probably had 20. But, I guess every seizure is different.

Some breed of dog will easier to have seizure issue and its easy to search on the web. IF you ever watch your dog get through that seizure period, you will not take the chance for that wonderful good photos with the flash. (just my opinion)

11-29-2018, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

That's about as likely as causing a seizure in a person.