Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, sports fans, what is on your XMAS list and why.

On my list this year I am putting a k-70 or if possible a k-1 in my sights. Why? Well, I have decided to shoot for the best image quality possible, without having to take out a mortgage on my house. These two Pentax releases appear to have very good track records and I have seen the IQ that both produce.

Thanks for viewing and Happy Pentax Days this year. )

Tony

11-28-2018, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-70's great value, but I think the K-1 would give the best image quality for your kind of photography - close ups of flowers, etc. 36Mp vs 24Mp, better dynamic range (think blown highlights), etc.
11-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The K-70's great value, but I think the K-1 would give the best image quality for your kind of photography - close ups of flowers, etc. 36Mp vs 24Mp, better dynamic range (think blown highlights), etc.
I don't know about that. Wouldn't the crop factor work in the favor with macro photography the same way it does with wildlife photography in that you can fill more of the frame with the subject without losing pixels? Crop mode on the K-1 is 15.36Mp vs 24Mp on the K-70. If you crop the image in PP you're still losing pixels.
11-28-2018, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't know about that. Wouldn't the crop factor work in the favor with macro photography the same way it does with wildlife photography in that you can fill more of the frame with the subject without losing pixels? Crop mode on the K-1 is 15.36Mp vs 24Mp on the K-70. If you crop the image in PP you're still losing pixels.
Have a look at his pics, NaN. They're not macros of pollen or anything.

They're frequently a flower where you see all the petals, so if you fill the frame up with that, you get 36Mp on the K-1.

Raising shadows and suppressing highlights also feature frequently in his daylight photos of those flowers.

11-28-2018, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Excellent advice. I am considering branching out into landscape photography and from what I have learned, the k-1 is just about the best camera for landscape photography for the money.

Cheers,

TT

Last edited by Tonytee; 11-28-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Grammar Correction.
11-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
On my list this year I am putting a k-70 or if possible a k-1 in my sights. Why? Well, I have decided to shoot for the best image quality possible, without having to take out a mortgage on my house. These two Pentax releases appear to have very good track records and I have seen the IQ that both produce.

Thanks for viewing and Happy Pentax Days this year. )

Tony
I've already purchased a KP so I guess I'm taken care of for this year - maybe even for this decade.
11-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pulled the trigger based on the Black Friday deals on a Pentax 15-30 lens. So I'm good for the big item. Now for the filters...

11-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm hoping to finish paying off my 100mm macro. I'm currently without a macro for my K1 and it sucks.

Apparently my TG5, which I haven't had time to take out of its box even, does pretty good macro but, unless I'm getting wet, I want an SLR in my hand.
11-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I've already purchased a KP so I guess I'm taken care of for this year - maybe even for this decade.

I see. I am willing to bet one dollar to a do-nut, that this time next year you will have something in mind and it will end up on your list. )

TT
11-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At some point soon I would like to own a good copy of the M 20 f4. I would also like a Chinon CE-5. The pair for $400 USD is probably all I can/should spend on photog stuff right now outside of some developer chemicals.

Lower priorities, I may try to find a better copy of the Tamron 01BB 24mm Adaptall-2. A 50 or 55 f1.2 would be nice but not something I'm really missing right now.