Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

"At least my superior weather sealing lets it be an anchor."

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
As for the "anchor" comment, in hindsight one might say "Sure, Pentax is well known for its water resistance. But not sure its magnesium alloy is the best metal for an anchor."
Damn it. I should read the whole thread before commenting

11-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly, if you're out here and you can't handle a few barbs about your gear, you are going to unnecessarily going to be a very unhappy person. People are shooting Canon, Sony and Nikon, and I've definitely heard the guys call each others cameras much worse than an "anchor". It's all part of the fun.

In a way, you should be honoured, he viewed you as "one of the guys".
But are any of those rigs really worth the cost of a used Hyundai?
11-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's pretty clear that he is an act before he thinks kind of guy - since he apologized AFTER he made the comment. I am sure that is how he made his decision to go with Canon as well.

It's the "easy decision". Like a former boss once told me a LONG TIME AGO that you can never get fired for picking IBM.

- Pentax loyalist for 40 years -
11-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If photography is an art to the user...then any camera can be used to produce an artistic piece. If not, then every camera is a paperweight.

11-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's really quite strange for this guy to have made a negative statement about what equipment I use and especially at a Christmas gathering for kids and their parents.

This has been the very first time that anyone has made a negative comment about my equipment. Normally it has been a conversation about the benefits of what we use and personal choice or nothing said at all.

This guy is just an ignorant idiot.
11-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But are any of those rigs really worth the cost of a used Hyundai?
$1? Last time I bought a used Hyundai it was $1.
11-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something about casting the first stone comes to mind here. In some parts of the world, a level of banter can be common that would be regarded as deadly insult elsewhere, but it’s usually confined to people who know each other reasonably well, and rarely as an introductory comment to a stranger. Then again, maybe this fellow was a “bloke”, not a “guy”.
11-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One of the good things that came out of being at the concert was that my LBA has been hightened.

I "Need" to get a 70-200 2.8 .

Sadly it is not something that Santa will bring this year

11-29-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I made a mistake making a passing comment on a petapixel (or some other similar place) under an article about the lack of portrait lenses under 85mm and over 50mm. I just mentioned that the author obviously doesn't know 77 1.8 exists, as his only example was some obscure Leica lens. Result was me getting pummeled by the experts, saying that Pentax doesn't matter I decided to retire from the majority of internet, I don't know what connectivity people talk about when social media is mentioned, all I see is echo chambers.
11-29-2018, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Result was me getting pummeled by the experts idiots, saying that Pentax doesn't matter
Fixed that for you
11-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I made a mistake making a passing comment on a petapixel (or some other similar place) under an article about the lack of portrait lenses under 85mm and over 50mm. I just mentioned that the author obviously doesn't know 77 1.8 exists, as his only example was some obscure Leica lens. Result was me getting pummeled by the experts, saying that Pentax doesn't matter I decided to retire from the majority of internet, I don't know what connectivity people talk about when social media is mentioned, all I see is echo chambers.
Love it.

You had the solution to a photographic problem, but it involved Pentax, so for them, instead of consideration the deal was automatically off.

We're far from an echo chamber here. I've been critical of the compulsory 'Accelerator' in the K-1 II and K-70/KP, Kunzite of Pentax marketing, Normhead of the company's increasing efforts to make bigger and more expensive lenses, but our grumblings are in the context of fellow owners, we're talking like brothers to each other. Even if we don't completely agree, we know where they're coming from.

A stranger who doesn't understand anything but makes an ignorant comment, though …
11-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Love it.

You had the solution to a photographic problem, but it involved Pentax, so for them, instead of consideration the deal was automatically off.

We're far from an echo chamber here. I've been critical of the compulsory 'Accelerator' in the K-1 II and K-70/KP, Kunzite of Pentax marketing, Normhead of the company's increasing efforts to make bigger and more expensive lenses, but our grumblings are in the context of fellow owners, we're talking like brothers to each other. Even if we don't completely agree, we know where they're coming from.

A stranger who doesn't understand anything but makes an ignorant comment, though …
Maybe i'm that stranger to them I don't follow the cult of Canikon and Sony
11-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #28
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
It's really quite strange for this guy to have made a negative statement about what equipment I use and especially at a Christmas gathering for kids and their parents.

This has been the very first time that anyone has made a negative comment about my equipment. Normally it has been a conversation about the benefits of what we use and personal choice or nothing said at all.

This guy is just an ignorant idiot.
My Doctor today asked me "why Pentax?" I showed him some shots taken by @jcsnyc and myself last Friday and stated the value proposition versus the other majors. He was very impressed, even at reduced resolution.
11-29-2018, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #29

The best camera you have is the one in your hands at the time.
Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the tools in your hands at the time and how to get the best out of them is what separates a professional from an amateur (or as my mother would say, it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools).
11-29-2018, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
My Doctor today asked me "why Pentax?" I showed him some shots taken by @jcsnyc and myself last Friday and stated the value proposition versus the other majors. He was very impressed, even at reduced resolution.
It was the question at least. One Canon guy when he saw my camera asked: "Pentax?! Why?!!" It was not a question.