Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Professional" Canon fotog had a go at my Pentax!!!!!!!!

Hi All,

This evening we went to our daughters Christmas concert and the "professional" photographer contracted to photograph the proceeding walked past me and asked what camera I had. I showed him the Pentax on my camera (K5).

His comment surprised me that my camera was "only good as an anchor"! He then went on to say not to take notice of what he had just said and made out that he was only joking.

I was so surprised I had no comeback. Plop!

How rude is all I can think.

Anyway wishing you all the best for the coming Christmas season.

Cheers
Frank

11-29-2018, 02:33 AM - 9 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

A guy who is scraping a living by photographing things like kids' Christmas concerts isn't exactly setting the professional photography world on fire with his talents, is he? Mostly I'd just feel sorry for someone who feels a need to criticise the gear others are using to try to hold together what few scraps of self-belief he's got left intact.
11-29-2018, 02:36 AM - 11 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Hi All,

This evening we went to our daughters Christmas concert and the "professional" photographer contracted to photograph the proceeding walked past me and asked what camera I had. I showed him the Pentax on my camera (K5).

His comment surprised me that my camera was "only good as an anchor"! He then went on to say not to take notice of what he had just said and made out that he was only joking.

I was so surprised I had no comeback. Plop!

How rude is all I can think.

Anyway wishing you all the best for the coming Christmas season.

Cheers
Frank
Think nothing of it Frank.
The world is full of "muscular openings at the lower end of the alimentary canal, through which the solid refuse of digestion is excreted.".
11-29-2018, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments, and well put Mark.

This guy must have some serious problems!!!!

Cheers
Frank.

11-29-2018, 03:06 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
His comment surprised me that my camera was "only good as an anchor"!
Big talk coming from an artistically stunted hack worshiping a camera manufacturer that didn't put IBIS in the EOS R.
11-29-2018, 03:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A comment like that reveals more about the speaker than the topic.
11-29-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ignorance is everywhere. This type of pompous and arrogant attitude is far to common among pro togs. You know and enjoy the awesome images from your Pentax and in the end that is all that matters.

11-29-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's a little sad that anyone should look down on someone else's choice of equipment. A good photographer will get great photos from any camera and lens, regardless of the brand or age . A photographer with a Pentax K-5 such as yours can take amazing photos, and need have no concern of what others may think about their choice of camera
11-29-2018, 06:07 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

My guess is he was only joking. A barb meant to be social, but I wasn't there. I have known a few people who open every conversation with an insult of your family , your friends , your skills, everything you own and then go on to a normal conversation. Hopefully he was just looking for a little friendly banter.
11-29-2018, 06:39 AM - 8 Likes   #10

As I tell my 17 year old son you who wonders why we have such an "rare" brand: Anybody can own a Canon, it take a real desire to own a Pentax.

Jim
11-29-2018, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My guess is he was only joking. A barb meant to be social, but I wasn't there. I have known a few people who open every conversation with an insult of your family , your friends , your skills, everything you own and then go on to a normal conversation. Hopefully he was just looking for a little friendly banter.
I work for a guy like that. His idea of humor is to be a bit insulting. He means it in jest, but often people are left thinking, "What did you just say to me? How rude!" The thing is, he's totally oblivious to the effect he's having on people. I agree that what this photog said was kinda harsh, but I wouldn't dwell on it. The Canon and Nikon guys go at it all the time in my camera club and mean nothing serious by it.
11-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

His comments say more about him and his equipment than you and yours.
11-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #13
Lev
Veteran Member

My friend asked me which brand is better Canon or Pentax. I immediately answered him Pentax. He told me that's because you want to be special. Even though I don't agree with him, it was mistake saying that Pentax is better than Canon. It is better FOR ME. But compared to me that guy don't even deserves to hold something that looks like a camera.
11-29-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I work for a guy like that. His idea of humor is to be a bit insulting. He means it in jest, but often people are left thinking, "What did you just say to me? How rude!" The thing is, he's totally oblivious to the effect he's having on people. I agree that what this photog said was kinda harsh, but I wouldn't dwell on it. The Canon and Nikon guys go at it all the time in my camera club and mean nothing serious by it.
Exactly, if you're out here and you can't handle a few barbs about your gear, you are going to unnecessarily going to be a very unhappy person. People are shooting Canon, Sony and Nikon, and I've definitely heard the guys call each others cameras much worse than an "anchor". It's all part of the fun.

In a way, you should be honoured, he viewed you as "one of the guys".
11-29-2018, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
heard the guys call each others cameras much worse than an "anchor". It's all part of the fun.
Human dynamics can be difficult. Amongst acquaintances or within an established social circle, a poke such as "Hey, you still shootin' with that ol' P.O.S.? When ya gonna step up to an Instamatic?" can be a friendly part of the activity. Coming from a stranger, though, such a comment could be taken as insulting and rude because the personality is unknown.

Anyways, we've heard of other instances like the OP encountered, and we Pentax shooters are confident in 'our' brand.

As for the "anchor" comment, in hindsight one might say "Sure, Pentax is well known for its water resistance. But not sure its magnesium alloy is the best metal for an anchor."