Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 05:41 AM - 4 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a longtime Pentax user and a longtime Mad Magizine reader, the "Snappy answer's to stupid questions" section In Mad is great to keep yourself prepared when using a Pentax in public.....

12-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tscip22 Quote
I do agree that the original comment from the event shooter was disingenuous. After reading the comments here that followed, I am interested in turning the conversation in a slightly different direction.

When I was a newer DSLR amateaur photographer, I would bring my camera to all events that I was attending as a guest. Choir concerts, pagents, even weddings. I soon realized that I was being a little disrespectful to the event shooter. My gear now stays home. It is less of an issue with all the smartphone cameras that come out at any event, but I still feel that a formal event like a wedding, leave the big gear at home.

Again, I am not saying I am right about this, I was just interested in what others think.

A pro who can’t deal pleasantly with Uncle Harrys is going to have annoyed clients. It goes with the territory.

A pro who doesn’t pay himself with his show-up price is going to go broke. The days of making the money on albums and enlargements are long gone.

Bring your camera and don’t worry about it, but do give the pro first shot and don’t distract his subjects until he’s done.

As to disparaging someone’s camera, that’s just social ineptitude. It’s hard to take that sort of thing seriously.

One comment I heard about a top musician’s choice of tuba: “I’ve played those Yamaha’s, and for her to sound that good on that tuba really impressed me!” That is the Insult Concealed, artfully done. Photo geeks are like many geeks—inept at personal interaction. They mean well. It’s a real liability in event work, though.

I always insult my own camera and than add, “but it really gets results.”

Rick “who describes the 645z to friends as ‘a beast of a camera’” Denney
12-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #48
Pentaxian

One time at a festival I had a Canon user yell out to me "F*** YEAH, PENTAX!" as he was passing by. I think you'll get more attention just by virtue of being the perceived underdog, and not all of it negative.
12-06-2018, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

You may have also highlighted HIS problem with you seeing your rather good camera.

As the “professional photographer contracted to photograph the proceedings”, he would be concerned seeing someone that had pro looking kit. For him that type of person may just be about to ‘steal’ some of his income from the occasion offering free or cheap prints to other friends and parents.

His cheap shot may have been designed to throw you or intimidate you, or feel you out to see if you were intending to tread on his toes. In the event your lack of reply probably threw him hence the apology.

He should have known better and had confidence as a “Pro” to deliver his contract in a proper manner.
Worth taking notice of any more than the spotty youth with a smart phone standing beside you who asking about your camera then sneers and tells you that you wasted money as his Apsonsung phone has more mega pixies than yours - I think not 😉

12-06-2018, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments, and well put Mark.

This guy must have some serious problems!!!!

Cheers
Frank.
He sure does, he owns a Canon.
12-06-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
These times are dominated by mistrust towards the "different". It is a form of ignorance. Now one of my sports is to dispel the myth that with Pentax you can not take pictures.....

.....Ah, all shots are from JPEG without RAW processing.... I shot always in RAW+ but it's very rare I need to process the RAW.
Thank you, Andrea. Wonderful examples, and a great commentary on each one.

Philip
12-06-2018, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tscip22 Quote
I am of the opinion that the phone people are quite annoying. I gave my daughter away a year ago, and my neighbor took smart phone video of most of the wedding, then posted it. What was she thinking! So if a neighbor's daughter was getting married, would you break out the 70-200 and start firing during the ceremony? Just curious how many do this.
Anyone can be quite annoying -- it's not the phone or camera that's annoying, it's the person.

I'd only "break out the 70-200 during the ceremony" if I know the bride and groom and have very explicit permission to do so. Even then, I never stand-up, block any other person's view of the ceremony, and certainly don't interfere with the pro photogs. My photography does not disrespect the pro's because we have different points-of-view. Thus, I get pictures the pro can't get and they get pictures that I can't get -- I'm more of an informal 3rd shooter. Besides, the couple are the customers and control the photography, not the pro. If the couple want others to take pictures, that's their prerogative. And if they don't want guests to take pictures, I respect that.

That said, you are right that some people can be annoying especially if they interfere with the ceremony and the pro photog.

12-06-2018, 09:38 AM - 7 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"... and I'll anchor it in your ass."

would have been the logical retort. But seriously, been there several times and I really don't understand ignorant insecure people.

---------- Post added 12-06-18 at 08:42 AM ----------

You could have also said, "if it gets dark in here, you can borrow my Pentax."
12-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
One time at a festival I had a Canon user yell out to me "F*** YEAH, PENTAX!" as he was passing by. I think you'll get more attention just by virtue of being the perceived underdog, and not all of it negative.
Through casual acquaintance with it, I’m guessing that’s an affirmative expression, but with an edge of weirdness.
12-06-2018, 06:54 PM - 3 Likes   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Through casual acquaintance with it, I’m guessing that’s an affirmative expression, but with an edge of weirdness.
Not regarded by today's generation as weird, Rob, it's a proudly more emphatic version of 'Hell, yes.'

Profane but good natured.

Last edited by clackers; 12-07-2018 at 03:02 AM.