Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Android or Windows Flickr Album Synchronisation?

I use 'Albums' in Flickr, when I think I have made a really good image I might add it to a specific album, call it 'Favourites'. Currently the only app I know for Android that can do automatic downloads of pictures on your flickr to the app/phone/device (and choosing which album to sync, ie 'Favourites') is FlickFolio. There's one problem, the downloads are 'lite', I think 2mb max.

I have recently got a Mi Max 2 phone, and I have just set it up and am testing now, the downloads it's fetching are just not great when pinching and zooming. I placed the full res version of the file on the phone and used the stock 'Gallery' app to view the 17mb file (vs 2mb) and it was night and day difference. It's actually quite cool how you can continue pinching and zooming and seeing the detail and sharpness keep coming. There is unfortunately a slight lag when pinching and zooming however, but it's decent.

Truth be told the phone (Mi Max 2) is my son's (his b'day money present choice), I mean I've had my eye on this phone for myself for quite sometime, when he saw I was researching it he wanted it For a kid who primarily uses a phone in a similar way to a tablet (games, youtube etc) it's great for him, a true phablet.

So I'm a little disappointed in it from my perspective. I'm a lite phone user, I do a little social media, calls and texts and that's it. I really just wanted a way to be able to (offline as our mobile networks are poor where we are) show some of my work on my phone/phablet at it's very best. They don't look to good on FlickFolio as soon as you try a pinch and zoom
I was really hoping to be able to upload images to Flickr, submit the very best ones into certain albums and have them (and only them) sync full res automatically (wifi only), but FlickFolio doesn't seem to work well enough, not for recent screen releases...

Moving forward (for me), it doesn't have to be Android, I could go Windows Phone or Tablet as well, it's all about basically using one main pc, sorting the images there, and then 3rd party devices such as phones and tablets getting the same image onto them without me having to manually do it.

Perhaps I need to upload to flickr differently, such as put the file somewhere first (Onedrive) where it can be synced more easily by other devices and then have some program grab that file from Onedrive and add it to Flickr.
Problem with that is I still need to tag the file, set privacy settings, add to groups, albums etc etc. It really is easier to make the upload to flickr first and then have some apps get permission to access flickr and download the file. Multiple uploading is not ideal.

I do realise storage space could get chewed up fast, but this would be a portfolio of sorts, I can't see myself going over 50 images at 20mb each tops at anyone time so storage is not an issue here.

Anyone suggest a workaround or app that can do this?

Cheers,

Bruce

12-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If OneDrive is like Dropbox, then it should have a way to flag a file to be permanently stored on the phone for offline access. Thus, you'd stick the file in Onedrive, wait for it to sync, then access it on your phone (via wifi if you want to avoid bandwidth charges) where you'd click to keep an offline copy.
12-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If OneDrive is like Dropbox, then it should have a way to flag a file to be permanently stored on the phone for offline access. Thus, you'd stick the file in Onedrive, wait for it to sync, then access it on your phone (via wifi if you want to avoid bandwidth charges) where you'd click to keep an offline copy.
Yeah it can prolly do that, but then it's like doing things manually twice. One upload to Onedrive, a second upload to flickr (for tags etc). What I'm after is one upload, either direct to flickr or Onedrive (or Dropbox or whatever) and then that app/service will send the file to flickr (complete with the tags I want etc). Tall order I think...
12-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows phone is not the answer...

Windows Phone will continue its slow march to death through 2019 - CNET

12-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah it can prolly do that, but then it's like doing things manually twice.
"Prolly"!? Is that Blue Mountains dialect?
12-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't use automated sync with Flickr, mostly because I don't use Flickr for archive. As such, I use the upload page, drag-n-drop from Windows explorer.

The flow goes like this:
  • All capture files are copied to the computer's hard drive
  • Original files are not touched again
  • General tags are applied on import to Lightroom
  • Specific Lightroom tags are added later with virtual copies sometimes having additional tags not applied to the original file
  • All virtual copies also are named
  • All exports are done to the local hard drive first with those intended for Flickr going into a directory for that purpose to be dropped on the Flickr upload page. Tags from Lightroom are automatically added to Flickr with additional tags being added on the upload page. Initial album placement is also done on the upload page.
Easy Peasy!

Steve
12-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
for your detention, you must write probably one hundred times

12-05-2018, 12:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yeah, I was kinda thinking perhaps a Windows Store app for the tablets like the Surface Go etc.

See... I used to take my Samsung Tab S2 (which is 8 inches with a nice high res screen) to show clients my portfolio etc, but it's screen is now cracked and I have since learned it's a ridiculously expensive fix (rip...).

After seeing the Mi Max 2 (which is almost 7 inch screen in a aspect ratio more favourable to photography vs the current trend of 18:9 etc), I was quite excited, because I might then just get that as my phone and also something to use to show potential clients my work.
The problem is that FlickFolio is too low res for pinch and zoom, it does everything else perfectly, but it feels like it's lacking an option to download full size...
But then even if it did, there might be the question of 'pinch and zoom lag', like... once I transferred one of my edited images (17mb jpg), and did pinch and zoom from within the stock Gallery app, it did take a second or so to 'sharpen' and render that pinch and zoom. I'm kinda saddened by that a little (<<< perfectionist ).

So... now I'm feeling that perhaps I won't bother getting my own Mi Max 2, because after all it's very large as a phone, I'm currently using a iphone5c! hehe

But recently I went to our local retailers and had a look at the Surface Laptop and Surface Go, those screens are absolutely gorgeous. The thing that has really put me off the Surface Laptop is that fabric around the keyboard, it's a stain magnet! I've seen images of what that fabric looks like after a few months of use, yellow from sweat/oil stains (and sweat I will... I live in Australia after all!) not to mention any wine drop splashes etc... urgh... Honestly it got so many complaints I can't believe they released the version 2 still with that soft fabric crap...
But having said that, the screen of the Go is gorgeous, displaying the image full screen and you don't even need to pinch and zoom, you can see all the detail crispy sharp as is. So I was thinking this might be something I acquire in the future, but the problem still exists... how do I use PC 1 to upload an image to flickr, and get PC 2 to grab that image in it's full res glory and store on it's drive for offline use...

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
"Prolly"!? Is that Blue Mountains dialect?
Prolly...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't use automated sync with Flickr, mostly because I don't use Flickr for archive. As such, I use the upload page, drag-n-drop from Windows explorer.

The flow goes like this:
  • All capture files are copied to the computer's hard drive
  • Original files are not touched again
  • General tags are applied on import to Lightroom
  • Specific Lightroom tags are added later with virtual copies sometimes having additional tags not applied to the original file
  • All virtual copies also are named
  • All exports are done to the local hard drive first with those intended for Flickr going into a directory for that purpose to be dropped on the Flickr upload page. Tags from Lightroom are automatically added to Flickr with additional tags being added on the upload page. Initial album placement is also done on the upload page.
Easy Peasy!

Steve
I wouldn't mind a little more depth explaining some of those processes as you seem to have lost me a little. I noticed for example that LR Library module has Flickr integration, that I have never used. I'm wondering if I need to make a LR catalog or collection and add my 'favourites' to that, and then some kind of syncing goes on between LR on the PC and LR on my phone/tablet/second windows machine...

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
for your detention, you must write probably one hundred times
12-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So basically you want to keep full res pictures on your phone or tablet to show when you don't have internet access to use as a portfolio.

I'm not sure about windows or android, I'm sure they are similar to IOS apps. If you'er already uploading to Flicker from your PC and you have the Flickr App you can just download it from the app to your images on your phone.

With IOS from the Flickr app when you look at a image on the bottom right click the arrow and it gives you the option to download to images. From there you just organize them into one folder to be able to show offline.

I can't imagine android or window app is any different than the IOS version.
12-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
So basically you want to keep full res pictures on your phone or tablet to show when you don't have internet access to use as a portfolio.

I'm not sure about windows or android, I'm sure they are similar to IOS apps. If you'er already uploading to Flicker from your PC and you have the Flickr App you can just download it from the app to your images on your phone.

With IOS from the Flickr app when you look at a image on the bottom right click the arrow and it gives you the option to download to images. From there you just organize them into one folder to be able to show offline.

Or just package the files that you want onto a usb key. They make plenty that are android and windows compatible. You could pop them to flickr and to the usb key in the same session and then just browse them directly via your gallery application on your phone/tablet.
12-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote

Yeah I have an iphone5s and can test that, it's just less than ideal, that's kinda manual syncing in a way, and there doesn't (annoyingly) seem to be an ability to download an album in one go, if it did that would be preferable as it might grab more than one file if what I have on the phone already is missing etc. In an ideal world when using the Flickr app you could download an entire album to the phone and if that image exists already it would prompt a skip and grab the ones you need 'syncing' or haven't gotten yet. Unfortunately it doesn't even do this, and I'm not gonna easily keep track of what images I'm missing from the flickr album on the phone. I would be better to email the image at the same time I upload it to flickr or something... urgh.

But yer right, I'm looking for a small portfolio of sorts that's full res to show to clients on either Android, iOS or Windows for those occasions internet is bad where we are.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Or just package the files that you want onto a usb key. They make plenty that are android and windows compatible. You could pop them to flickr and to the usb key in the same session and then just browse them directly via your gallery application on your phone/tablet.
Yeah it's just manually doing it I'm trying to avoid. Like I say thus far FlickFolio does the best, I mean it grabs the file when you're not even aware (once on wifi/phone charging etc), you get to specify exactly what album to sync with etc, it's just the file its grabbing is too low a size/res.

If I could do a step before sending the file to flickr that might send that image multiple places that might work (hence the LR>Flickr feature option intrigued me).