Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Makes Your Photo Club a Success?

Howdy!

My photo club is looking to up its game, and I would like to know what is working – and what is not working – with your club.

We currently do what might be considered the "bread-and-butter" things that I think many clubs do. But I am looking to learn more about those programs and activities that you consider the keys to your club's success and also how those programs and activities are implemented. If you could add a bit about why these things contribute to your club's success, that would also be great.

I (and my club) thank you in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Don

12-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A good question and I will be interested in following this thread.
12-08-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Moved to the correct forum. As the sticky says, no photography talk allowed in General Talk forum.
12-08-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi - my club is about 80 members strong. It is the only photography club in our city (Wanganui in NZ) I think it is fair to say it is running well at the Moment. We got our own rooms a few years ago (an abandoned bowling club rooms on Council Land). This has definitely boosted the sense of community in the club. We run monthly image competitons (projected images one night and prints the other.) For some people this is a core function of the club but others decline to compete/ subject their work to peer review. We have been particularly keen on working groups and local outings over the last couple of years thanks to a recent addition who is particularly enthusiastic. This has boosted the social aspect of the club but only to those who get involved so has created a very slight division perhaps. The point is you can't please all the people all the time. It is inevitable that some people have done their time and will drift away. But things like friendliness and helpfulness and enthusiasm help those newbies visiting for the first time and increase the chances of them staying with the club. Turnover is inevitable and if you have cold shouldered newcomers (unintentionally) then you have a problem.

12-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a club member but I may have just come up with either a genius or dumb idea. Why not contact other clubs around the world and exchange a few images with them. Put some rules around the images regarding how they will be used etc. Say something like exchanging 10 images form your local area etc. Perhaps with a theme like historical places, architecture, natural beauty etc.
12-08-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Camera Club of Ottawa will celebrate its 125th Anniversary in 2019.

Here are several highlights of the Club's activities.

"Camera Club of Ottawa: ...to study and promote the art of photography in all its branches... since 1894"

Competitions. The Club is particularly keen on 'competitions' -- both print and projected image. These are held roughly every two months, and the three invited judges for each event come from a variety of backgrounds. The competitions do not award 1st, 2nd or 3rd placings, but rather, photographs can gain "Honourable Mention" or "Award of Excellence". Comments from the judges are constructive and useful. Participants gain points for their judged works, and can progress through the year from a basic status to intermediate, to advanced.

Focus on picture taking. The Club's activities don't focus on camera gear per se. In fact, camera brands or models are rarely mentioned or discussed. The emphasis is on picture taking.

Guest speakers. Guest speakers are invited monthly to present on their work, interests, or occupations related to photography.

Special Interest Groups. Several groups meet separately to work on studio photography, wildlife outings, printing, darkroom, and other topics.

Interclub gatherings. There are four clubs in the Ottawa/Gatineau region. 'Interclub' events are held 2-3 times each year, including a well-attended interclub competition.

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-08-2018 at 06:55 AM.