Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why We All Take the Same Travel Photos

For your reading/viewing pleasure: Why We All Take the Same Travel Photos | WIRED

12-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree with the article. Too often we just “snap” that shot to show we were there without taking in the beauty of where we are.

Thanks for sharing!
12-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The author seems to equate taking predictable snapshots as not enjoying the location or experience. I don't think that is reality. For me, taking photo's on vacation needs to be efficient so that I can have more time to enjoy the vacation experience. Mostly, the photos are for preserving memories or for showing others. As an enthusiast, I'll try to take above average shots, but also try not to spend too much time on it, especially if traveling with others. I can understand why the selfie crowd (formerly the Instamatic crowd), flocks to the predictable locations for their photos.

It's like shooting an event. People I know, including me, don't get to fully enjoy events where we are trying to get lots of "good" shots. We're always thinking of the next shot, predicting light, movement and whatnot. IMO, being behind the camera is a poor substitute for being in the moment. I wish Explorest was available for Android,
12-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi folks, just moving this thread to General Photography.

Photography related threads do not belong in Gen Talk - PentaxForums.com

12-14-2018, 06:57 PM - 9 Likes   #5

I just got back from New Zealand, and saw this phenomenon at "that wanaka tree", which is surely the most photographed tree in the country, if not the world. I got up two mornings in a row for sunrise; the sky was cloudy so there was no color, but each time there were at least ten other photographers out there jostling for position to take the same shot. But move a few dozen feet left or right and there's another alignment for your own shot.

This is what I ended up with, which I think is pretty good. Didn't have a 10-stop ND big enough for my 70-200, but a polarizer and pixelshift did pretty well.

Loved that Pentax weather sealing on hikes in the spitting rain or near waterfalls.
12-14-2018, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the author acknowledges that most people take selfies as an afterthought to document they've been to a place, while some like himself find the process of taking an artistic picture forces you to scrutinize - and appreciate - your environment.
12-14-2018, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
The author seems to equate taking predictable snapshots as not enjoying the location or experience. I don't think that is reality. For me, taking photo's on vacation needs to be efficient so that I can have more time to enjoy the vacation experience. Mostly, the photos are for preserving memories or for showing others. As an enthusiast, I'll try to take above average shots, but also try not to spend too much time on it, especially if traveling with others. I can understand why the selfie crowd (formerly the Instamatic crowd), flocks to the predictable locations for their photos.

It's like shooting an event. People I know, including me, don't get to fully enjoy events where we are trying to get lots of "good" shots. We're always thinking of the next shot, predicting light, movement and whatnot. IMO, being behind the camera is a poor substitute for being in the moment. I wish Explorest was available for Android,
My wife of 39-1/2 years has come to expect me to take 30 minutes to take what should be a "5 minute photo"; my joy comes from exploring various angles, various situations, etc. - looking for different ways of looking at the scene. I am seeing it, I am enjoying it. For example, when I visited Mt Rushmore in 1982 I took a photo of the four guys; 13 years later I was looking for different ways of incorporating various tourists into my shots.

12-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlev Quote
I just got back from New Zealand, and saw this phenomenon at "that wanaka tree", which is surely the most photographed tree in the country, if not the world. I got up two mornings in a row for sunrise; the sky was cloudy so there was no color, but each time there were at least ten other photographers out there jostling for position to take the same shot. But move a few dozen feet left or right and there's another alignment for your own shot.
Often when I've been in a situation like that, I've spent my time looking for a good position from which to photograph the scrum of photographers {plus their target if possible}
12-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the preface to the book I just assembled of Alaska photos, I called it adventure signaling.

Rick “whose face appears in none of his own photos, at least not on purpose” Denney
12-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t buy it.

My wife just came back from two weeks in Israel. Using her Q she took a number of careful photographs of beautiful scenes or interesting historical (or Holy) locations, but they weren’t selfies. I’m quite certain the little alley in ancient Jaffa where their hotel lobby opened out has been shot thousands of times, for instance, because thousands of people toting cameras have exited the lobby there and it is a typical close, curving line, disappearing perspective shot. So what? It isn’t a destination scene. It’s just shot by everyone with an eye who happens upon it. OTOH it isn’t really creative. It’s already been done (except not by mrs monochrome) a billion times. Everything has been done a billion times.

Using her phone she snapped people on the tour doing touristy things and the typical touristy shots - because it was convenient and she was posting to Instagram and group texting me and our children these “I’m here” shots.

People took touristy shots with Instamatics too - they just couldn’t post a couple billion of them a day for all the world to see..

Last edited by monochrome; 12-15-2018 at 05:29 AM.
12-15-2018, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
People took touristy shots with Instamatics too - they just couldn’t post a couple billion of them a day for all the world to see..
They were not the same shots, because of global warming, and aging of everything, and because film does not render the same as digital. Aging of everything is a reality, even stones suffer erosion from harsh weather. The simple fact of capturing the photograph with a Pentax camera makes it much less common, we couldn't say this of Canon: i.e most place were shot with Canon thousand of times, much less likely by a Pentax.

Yet, in most tourist crowded areas, it is difficult to take identical shots because there is always a different unwanted tourist popping up in the frame.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-15-2018 at 12:11 AM.
12-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It would be interesting to get every one of the same shot photos of a place put into a timelapse.
12-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Often when I've been in a situation like that, I've spent my time looking for a good position from which to photograph the scrum of photographers {plus their target if possible}
I find that kind of picture a little bit sad... I've done that as well a couple of times, but they are not satisfying to me when I look at them on my PC.
Personally, instead of snapping pictures of "places you have to go to" I'd rather go to a "less scenic" place where there's no tourists. Pictures I took in those situations are among the most rewarding, even if photographically imperfect.
My 0.02
12-15-2018, 01:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I’d say that it is up to anyone, if they want to take popular pictures, or not. It is great to have place to take your touristic moment. For eviroment also. Just because oeople don’t wander off, or should not. Lot of selfies end up deadly every year, just for one examle. Also business works so that they build tourist attractions and then services around it. It is quite obvious that if you want to take picture of city skyline(Hong kong for example), from up, you have to: a) take lift to skyscraper and pay that 30-50€ b) hire a helicopter/airplane/balloon to do so c) well this would be having a pint instead..

That would be main reason of why to. Other is that when you are tourist in big city for example or nature reserve, it takes some gut and experience and self esteem to go out and wander for your own shot. And you might still end up with nothing, but nice little walk. (I don’t mind about walk) usually IF I go with other non photo oriented people, I end up being rushed/alone taking puctures from other angles/LE/timelapse(these takes huge amount of time).
12-15-2018, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

This could also be one of the reasons?
Attached Images