Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2018, 09:57 AM - 10 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography can be used to promote mental health.

New lens on life | CBC News

12-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That’s very cool.

-Eric
12-15-2018, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
and physical health... getting your gear out for landscape photography in nature and all kind of weather, storms, snow, midst, keeps your sleep cycles right even in winter.
In Nordic countries of Europe, exposure of eyes to the light (light therapy) was developed to improve the mood of people, especially in winter.
Although, for free, if we like taking sunrise photographs, looking at the sunrise, is the same as getting a kick of serotonin to keep our circadian cycle straight, keeps us energized during daylight, and deeper sleep during the night.
12-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a great post, thank you Norm. I hope everyone on the forum reads it.

12-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was a great read norm! From my own life, there has been several times I’ve turned to my camera as a form of therapy.
12-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree one hundred percent! I have always used my camera as a sort of therapy. It helps me relax and calm down when I go out and roam the docks in search of birds to photograph.

Thanks for posting that, Norm. Hope others read it too.
12-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really touching story. Thanks for posting!

12-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story. I don't think photography is for everyone, because it presents its own challenges, highs and lows, disappointments, and somebody may get enough of all that in 'real life' and really doesn't need it out of their recreation as well.

But for those robust enough in personality, the rewards can be enormous and we can see that in the pics. Thanks for posting, Norm!

Last edited by clackers; 12-17-2018 at 02:25 AM.
12-17-2018, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The only thing that can help at the scary extremes of my bipolar mood swings is medication and a complete rest from the stresses of everyday life. But photography is one of the main ways that I manage to keep things on a fairly even keel for the rest of the time. It gets me out of the house chasing the light when I might have stayed home otherwise, and the feeling of satisfaction from coming home with a shot that I'm happy with is a great mood booster in itself. And on the many days that I get home without taking a single shot, that's good too because I still had a relaxing walk. I always keep it very clear in my head that I'm someone who goes for a walk and takes a camera along, and most definitely not someone who goes out just to take pictures.

And I suppose another thing that can help promote mental health is for those of us who have difficulties to try to de-stigmatise it by being as open as we feel we can. The anonymity of an internet forum can make that easier than it often is in the real world.
12-17-2018, 02:35 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
And I suppose another thing that can help promote mental health is for those of us who have difficulties to try to de-stigmatise it by being as open as we feel we can. The anonymity of an internet forum can make that easier than it often is in the real world.
Yeah, I think traditionally it's harder for us blokes to open up about serious issues like these, Dave.

At the moment in Australia, at the urging of football clubs, young champion players - seriously cashed up, ripping physiques, you'd think the world was their oyster - are speaking on TV and radio about their battles with depression, as an example. Their honesty seems to be reaching even uneducated guys under the age of thirty, and there's probably a better understanding in workplaces now that The Black Dog is not sadness but illness.

We've got a long way to go, but NGOs like BeyondBlue and Headspace have appeared and are doing great work on changing public attitudes which even ten years ago were almost medieval.
12-17-2018, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Would you be trying to get a K1 refund from your health insurance? I'm afraid that Ricoh Imaging forgot to get in touch with various national health insurances to get into the list of refundable camera equipment .
12-17-2018, 02:54 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Would you be trying to get a K1 refund from your health insurance? I'm afraid that Ricoh Imaging forgot to get in touch with various national health insurances to get into the list of refundable camera equipment .
Given that there are forms of officially funded treatment like psychotherapy that don't have success rates much more than placebo, I can think of worse plans, BE!
12-17-2018, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Given that there are forms of officially funded treatment like psychotherapy that don't have success rates much more than placebo, I can think of worse plans, BE!
There was a study a long time ago, where they put 10 students with depression in front of apsychiatrist for an hour a week, and then set up appointments with 10 professors who were judge to be friendly for an hour a week, where they talked about whatever came to mind. The results were identical. People concentrate on the "photography" part of this treatment, but my guess is the "club" part is just as important. The image of the guys sitting around the camp fire waiting for the perfect moment says a lot. In this case, photography is the element that draws these people together in a safe environment. But it also gives them something to do when they aren't in the group. Something they can take with them when they are apart.

Last edited by normhead; 12-17-2018 at 07:36 PM.