Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 01:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Do we need to care about "California Proposition 65" ?

Hi there,

I was looking for a good quality budget tele for my K3 and I found the Sigma 70-300 APO macro, just before I click the purchase button on Amazon I got a warning of "California Proposition 65", as far as I understand that means the lens contains hazardous chemicals in the material, I purchased lot of stuffs on Amazon and this is the first time I got this warning, I don't know how serious it is in affecting our health, since it is an old and used lens so wear and tear are expected, hazardous chemicals will be released more than when it was new, I hold my purchase and started to look for something else comparable to the Sigma, any comment ? btw I got the 55-300 HD and used heavily and now it failed to focus, I want something else that work FF as well.

PS. I got the warning with the cell phone app but not found on the full site, you may want to try this link or simply search for the lens.

amazon.com : Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

12-18-2018, 02:13 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Just moving this thread to General Photography because....................................

Photography related threads do not belong in Gen Talk - PentaxForums.com .....
12-18-2018, 02:37 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
...just before I click the purchase button on Amazon I got a warning of "California Proposition 65", as far as I understand that means the lens contains hazardous chemicals in the materia...
See...

1986 California Proposition 65 - Wikipedia | Abuse

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-18-2018 at 02:42 AM.
12-18-2018, 03:15 AM   #4

The health risks are for you to decide.

The more immediate impact is that a vendor may not ship covered items to California.

12-18-2018, 04:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember seeing that sign on the front door of a hotel I stayed at in LA 20 years ago.

I survived
12-18-2018, 04:37 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've seen that warning too and I stil bought the object I wanted, and I too survived. I'm sitll here posting this, so I must be still alive., right? I'd take such warning with a grain of salt.
12-18-2018, 04:38 AM - 6 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The only health risk to you is California its self.

12-18-2018, 05:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know CP 65 is nothing compared to the hot Super Takumar ha !
12-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Literally almost every item in the gift shops in San Francisco has that labeling. It is important to note the label is required even if the materials are inside, if they are inaccessible in the form used, and that the risks need not be quantified - at least as I understand it. If you are worried I'd suggest you research the health risks of the object, but my own view is that the lens is harmless.
12-18-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't grind the glass and eat it. Might not be good for you.
12-18-2018, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't need to worry unless you take your lens to California, and then it becomes hazardous.

Actually, California is just saying that your lens (or whatever) contains materials that can be hazardous if breathed or ingested in certain amounts (for some substances covered by this warning, mild exposure can be hazardous). That is very unlikely (near impossible) to occur in normal use for a lens but you might want to be aware of it if for disposal purposes.

An example material (not found in too many lenses) is beryllium which is fairly safe in solid form, but dust from grinding it can be pretty bad to breathe.

Last edited by Bob 256; 12-18-2018 at 09:04 AM.
12-18-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Albums
With all the smog in Los Angeles and other cities, I'm surprised there isn't one of these signs on the state of California itself as you enter.
12-18-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I was looking for a good quality budget tele for my K3 and I found the Sigma 70-300 APO macro, just before I click the purchase button on Amazon I got a warning of "California Proposition 65", as far as I understand that means the lens contains hazardous chemicals in the material, I purchased lot of stuffs on Amazon and this is the first time I got this warning, I don't know how serious it is in affecting our health, since it is an old and used lens so wear and tear are expected, hazardous chemicals will be released more than when it was new, I hold my purchase and started to look for something else comparable to the Sigma, any comment ? btw I got the 55-300 HD and used heavily and now it failed to focus, I want something else that work FF as well.

PS. I got the warning with the cell phone app but not found on the full site, you may want to try this link or simply search for the lens.

amazon.com : Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You got to remember that some of the people that live there and the California state government think that breathing is a hazard to your health.
12-18-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Actually, California is just saying that your lens (or whatever) contains materials...
More likely, it is the vendor that issues a blanket warning for everything they sell regardless of whether there is any risk for a particular item.

Steve
12-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. Hotels have it because the glue that is used to glue the carpets has "bad stuff" in it, etc. Don't lay on the floor to sniff the glue. All of the other things involved are of similar danger. It was a ballot proposition. It seemed like a good idea at the time. At least to a majority of the voters. You are supposed to decide what to do with the information.