Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
F-Stoppers Put Canon and Nikon Mirrorless as the Worst Cameras of 2018

Pentax only managed second-worst, according to our friends at DPR.

F-Stoppers has a different view: Canon and Nikon Released the Worst Cameras of 2018 | Fstoppers

12-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I like Alex's metric. What let him down the most vs his expectations.
Didn't read past that but that is cool.
12-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We really shouldn’t take these things too seriously, but this struck me as amusing, given the brouhaha over the DPR ranking of the K-1ii.
12-30-2018, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, let's say that both the DPR as well as the F-Stoppers verdict are part of the "less serious" side of the internet.
For sure I am not qualified to select a "worst product of the year". I might qualify for the "worst photographer" part, maybe ...

What I find disappointing though is that Alex says he never actually used a Nikon Z. I'm not sure I see more credibility here than I see at DPR.

But I am sure the "controversial" verdicts help on the financial side.

Last edited by volley; 12-30-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typos
12-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

All photographic gear reviewers have biases based upon their style of shooting. Their reviews are based upon features and product characteristics that are important to them in their type of photography.

Me, I only shoot manual focus lens and could care less about auto focus performance. I never use the viewfinder. Also, I don't shoot 4K video. So any review that places import on these features is meaningless to me.

We all need to be discriminating consumers of information. The ratings used by DPR and FStoppers are meaningless to me because they do not use cameras like I do. However, because Lloyd Chambers values much of the same things that I do in a camera, I place immense value in what he has to say about a new camera.

So, for your own peace of mind, consider doing like me. Disregard what the "mass media reviewers" have to say about the best or the worst cameras/lenses. Be more discriminating. Find a reviewer who shoots like you do, follow him/her and don't bother with the rest.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-30-2018 at 01:45 PM.
12-30-2018, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha ha Thanks for posting this, Rob

Of course, most of us know their conclusion on the Canon and Nikon cameras is just as ridiculous as DPR's on the Pentax K-1II. For the target markets, all of these cameras are excellent, yet none are perfect.

As David Byrne sang in "Once in a Lifetime": "Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was."
12-30-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ha ha Thanks for posting this, Rob

Of course, most of us know their conclusion on the Canon and Nikon cameras is just as ridiculous as DPR's on the Pentax K-1II. For the target markets, all of these cameras are excellent, yet none are perfect.

As David Byrne sang in "Once in a Lifetime": "Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was."
...”and evermore shall be so”. You’re welcome, Mike.

I just read a news article that asserted people were buying and selling fake followers for Twitter and other social media, so my sceptical eye has been further sharpened. Nonetheless, if there’s one thing my many years on Earth have taught me, it’s that most things people fuss about really aren’t that important.

12-30-2018, 05:32 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Ah yes fstoppers, the tabloid of the photography world. While DPR is the infomercial side of it... Always promoting what they like to sell.
12-30-2018, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

A very bogus article. No better than naming the Pentax K1 MKII one of the worst cameras. These writers have too much time on their hands.
12-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ah yes fstoppers, the tabloid of the photography world. While DPR is the infomercial side of it... Always promoting what they like to sell.
Not quite like that for f-stoppers, I think. There's some good photography on their site, which is generally much more than you can say for the other one.

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
A very bogus article. No better than naming the Pentax K1 MKII one of the worst cameras. These writers have too much time on their hands.
More like not enough time to meet their copy deadline.
12-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Satirical, but witty. The ludicrously expensive lenses are impressive if only you have the kind of money to drop on them. But yes, brand trashing is only in jest, can't be taken too seriously.
12-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Satirical, but witty. The ludicrously expensive lenses are impressive if only you have the kind of money to drop on them. But yes, brand trashing is only in jest, can't be taken too seriously.
Really I missed that. At any rate it did not seem satirical to me. But maybe I'm a bit touchy.
12-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
?

Not satire, Ash.

Cooke's 'Death of Field' article was tagged as 'Humour', this as 'Opinion'.

What the Canon product managers did for DPR to not get their Worst Product gong is beyond me!

A lesson to mirrorless fanatics - beware what you wish for.

Cooke also says a disappointed Tony Northrup found the Nikon an inferior camera to the D850, a step backwards.

Last edited by clackers; 12-30-2018 at 11:31 PM.
12-30-2018, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I find all these listings of "worst camera of the year" strange, when all released cameras are really great or better.

It is like listing the ugliest beauty queen of the year, or the poorest billionaire of the year...

But I will rate F-stoppers as the best "worst cameras" award of 2018.

Last edited by Fogel70; 12-30-2018 at 09:28 PM.
12-30-2018, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Not satire, Ash.
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
it did not seem satirical to me
I read this and I thought I can't take this guy seriously anymore...

"...One thing that does excite me is seeing Canon and Nikon (to a lesser extent with the 58mm f/0.95) taking advantage of their new mounts to push the boundaries of lens development. Seeing a 28-70mm f/2L zoom and the spectacular albeit ludicrously expensive 50mm f/1.2L is awesome. More of those, please.

That doesn't change the fact that these cameras felt like getting a gas station gift card that your brother picked up on the way to the house on Christmas morning because he waited until the last minute and had to address the occasion somehow."

I concede this may not be satire, just humour, but I don't consider the "worst camera" assessment as being terribly influential either.