Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I wouldn't go as far as stating that MILCs are of no interest to customers, though. It is a game of trade offs as there are certainly advantages to MILC designs. My problem with a lot of the tech press is that they exaggerate negatives associated with DSLRs and are very forgiving regarding the negatives of MILCs.
There's always been something of an interest in MILCs to customers, and some of that is driven by marketing. Yes, the body can be smaller, but are the lenses necessarily smaller? In this day it seems large, highly corrected lenses are what people want, this, in my mind, completely negates the advantages of the MILC.

I do believe DSLRs get hammered far more than a MILC with the same issue. Some can say it's because brand X is paying for this or that, but I think a lot of it is simply because it's new tech. And new tech will always get a pass on shortcomings because it becomes a "fad" or something we want to see work.

I don't shoot video, but I do live in Florida. Sensor temperature is always something that crossed my mind, no different than what temperature did to my film when left in my vehicle on a hot day. High temperature kills anything.

01-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The decrease of image quality in the mirrorless camera after just 10 minutes of video usage and heating the sensor is quite obvious.
Thanks a lot for all the links you provided. Very useful!

Regarding the first one, I'd again say that video usage is probably not quite comparable to simple operation, i.e., only using the sensor to produce an image for the viewfinder or back LCD. Maybe the differences aren't significant, but I wouldn't assume they are not.

Another interesting bit is that Canon even explicitly seems to warn about image degradation after longer liveview shooting:
That's a very interesting find. From the Canon EOS 80D knowledge base:
"If Live View shooting is used continuously for a prolonged period, the camera's internal temperature may rise, and image quality may deteriorate. Always exit Live View shooting when you are not shooting."
No quantitative data is provided but it is for sure interesting that Canon thought the impact could be sufficiently high and occur within the range of regular applications to warrant the above warning.

At the end of the thread there is a similar measurement to the one I have done, there with a Nikon D5100 doing long exposures.
There is only a 4.5C difference between a stock D5100 and a passively cooled D5100 after 33 minutes of 30s exposures, which isn't that much after a pretty intensive usage. However, in a similar application scenario, a MILC could heat up similarly to the stock D5100 whereas a DSLR would heat up only mildly, if at all. That would then result in a 7C difference which we know would roughly double the dark current noise.

Overall, it seems that the potential issue of constant sensor heat up in a MILC during extended usage (not necessarily requiring a lot of shots) could have an impact on image quality that should not be dismissed outright.
01-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
There's always been something of an interest in MILCs to customers, and some of that is driven by marketing.
For sure marketing is overstating the case (not surprisingly).

I wouldn't have expected the tech press to turn such a blind eye towards obvious issues but one lives and learns.

Yes, the body can be smaller, but are the lenses necessarily smaller?
You are preaching to the choir, as far as I'm concerned.

Small MILCs can be useful when paired with small lenses (although they won't beat a truly compact fixed lens camera, let alone a phone) but in particular full frame MILCs you'd expect to be used in combination with fast modern lenses. The latter tend to be both big and heavy. This not only negates the theoretical advantages of a lighter system, it also turns the small camera size into liability regarding handling/ergonomics.

I do believe DSLRs get hammered far more than a MILC with the same issue. Some can say it's because brand X is paying for this or that, but I think a lot of it is simply because it's new tech.
The tech press is certainly known to entertain infatuations with new developments. Sadly, it is rare to come across reviewers who maintain a balanced picture, not letting their judgement be clouded by what is newer and/or understanding that their own preferences may not be shared by all their readers.