Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
that is what I thought

ok, now I just have to worry about the tripod holding up

I'm a firm believer in " Murphy's Law "

and Finnigan's corollary to it - " Murphy was an optimist

guess I will set it up so I take the camera and lens off the tripod but keep every thing out in the cold
Bungee cord the tripod to something solid, if possible, otherwise, yes, remove the camera and place it somewhere stable and secure. OR get a blanket, and a thermos and stay outside holding it up

I won't really know if I will have clear weather until tomorrow evening, it 's a coin toss right now. I do know it will be cold on Sunday night and early Monday morning, probably single digits.

01-19-2019, 08:29 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
ok stupid question time

should the visibility work out, it looks like ( judging tonight's moon ), I might set up on a back deck or back yard and perhaps capture the event ( current forecast - " partly cloudy " )

should I set up the tripod and camera and leave it outside or bring it into the house when I am not actively trying to capture the images

I am worried about bringing it in from the cold to the heated house and vice versa.
Leave the camera outside but take the battery out of the camera and keep it in your pocket when you go in. When you're done for the night wrap the camera in a plastic bag until it reaches indoor temperature. For the shooting session, set a gallon jug of water on the ground under the tripod and hook it to the tripod with a bungee cord or some stout twine. I do that whenever I'm shooting at night. It keeps me from accidentally knocking over the camera and helps minimize camera shake from any breezes. Water is cheap, easy to dispose of when the shooting session is done and if the truck breaks down, it's extra water (always handy out in the desert)
01-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
While I think probably 99% of the people who took a Solar Eclipse picture just took a picture of the eclipse only with long lenses. My totality picture of the event was with a normal lens and I included a foreground object that needed to be exposed for. I did it on film and used a one-degree spot meter.

At totality, I metered a point in the sky 2/3rd the way up to the eclipse and got a reading of EV 4.3. I rounded that off to EV 4 and placed that value 2 stops below my middle grey exposure. You can see in the picture that placed the highlights and shadows all within recordable range of the film's medium.
OK, let's see the photo!
01-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
OK, let's see the photo!
Follow the link in the post. I didn't want to distract from the moon with a solar eclipse photo.

01-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
not looking good for me in Topeka

total cloud cover now and the forecast has been changed to show that the rest of the night

good luck to all
01-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly cloudy here and snow flurries in the forecast for tonight. Wind chill of minus 35 C. Good reason to stay inside.

I did catch the eclipse here in 2015.

- Craig
01-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

THE weather cleared up just before after the eclipse started,, so I took some shots from my yard, instead of the overlook I'd have gone to if the weather had been clear earlier. Used a variety of lenses on both the K-1 and the K-5. It was very cold out there, I'm going to warm up and post later today.

01-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It cleared up here, I managed to photograph a very blue moon, plus that eclipse thing.

I just stuck with my 300mm, I liked the idea of doing a landscape style composite of the moons path (or a long exposure for a moontrail), but I'd prefer to be able to do that while lying in warm grass in shorts. It is not shorts weather here.
01-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We haven’t seen the moon (or sun) in ten days.
01-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
a number of members have posted new threads with very nice photos of what they were able to obtain

folks should check them out

unfortunately for me, I never saw it at all total cloud cover

the night before was perfectly clear but not last night

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-21-2019 at 10:11 AM.
01-21-2019, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

During the eclipse, I had some fun with the K-5 and the Rokinon 8mm Fisheye [IMG][/IMG]
01-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #42
Pentaxian

We got our 24 inches of snow and for those brave enough to hang around outside with a camera probably got some good shots. It cleared up nicely but the wind was gusting to 30mph +. I had a rather unpleasant evening with my wife in the emergency room with breathing issues. She's ok. She got the flu despite getting the shot. She also just recently finished a round of chemo therapy so anything like this has to be checked out quickly. We left the hospital after 11 and had a pretty good view of the eclipse on the drive home but we just headed directly indoors once we got home. -10F with a 30mph wind. I don't even want to think what that wind chill was.
01-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here are a couple from last night. Too cold to stay out for more than a couple snaps, then back inside to warm up. (X-posted in the moon thread)

Last edited by Riggomatic; 01-21-2019 at 08:03 PM.
01-21-2019, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It wasn't too cold here and fairly clear. I was able to stay outside for over an hour. Maybe overprocessed a little, this is just after the moon was completely covered but not the exact center of totality. K-5 IIs and Tokina SD 400/5.6 wide open. I haven't had time to look at all the shots. I took some with my K-7 and an A200/4 just as an experiment.

01-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #45

Had excellent viewing down in South Florida last night. I decided to try out the Astrotracer with my KP and discovered it could compensate for 10 sec exposures with a 1000mm lens!
Here is one result from two exposures of 10 sec each. It's only my second time using the O-GPS1 unit and it only allowed 10 or 20 sec exposures in B setting. So the moon is at iso 1600 and the stars at iso 65535. It's an f/11 reflex lens, and both were a lil overexposed but on the other hand there is no shadow noise either!

Total Lunar Eclipse of the “Super Blood Wolf Moon” of January 21, 2019. | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )

Last edited by kayakfari; 01-21-2019 at 10:03 PM.