Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
We got our 24 inches of snow and for those brave enough to hang around outside with a camera probably got some good shots. It cleared up nicely but the wind was gusting to 30mph +. I had a rather unpleasant evening with my wife in the emergency room with breathing issues. She's ok. She got the flu despite getting the shot. She also just recently finished a round of chemo therapy so anything like this has to be checked out quickly. We left the hospital after 11 and had a pretty good view of the eclipse on the drive home but we just headed directly indoors once we got home. -10F with a 30mph wind. I don't even want to think what that wind chill was.
I'm glad your wife is OK. The flu can be extremely serious.

We used to drive by the hospital up there on our way to camp at Northampton Beach in the 70s. Someone would inevitably point it out - "there's the hospital in case we need to take David there." I sort of earned a reputation as the child most likely to need an ER.

01-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Follow the link in the post. I didn't want to distract from the moon with a solar eclipse photo.
Somehow I missed it. Sorry!
01-23-2019, 02:37 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wonder if anyone caught this ?

A meteor hit the moon during the lunar eclipse. Here's what we know.

see photo in article
01-27-2019, 03:37 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Holy cow! Going through my photos of the Super Wolf Blood Moon again, I realized that I actually captured the meteor strike!

Meteor impact during Super Blood Wolf Moon
by John Flores, on Flickr

Meteor impact (closeup) during Super Blood Wolf Moon

Q-S1 with DA55-300. What dumb luck!

01-27-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What dumb luck!
Doesn't seem so dumb to me. What's the adage, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity?"
01-27-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Holy cow! Going through my photos of the Super Wolf Blood Moon again, I realized that I actually captured the meteor strike!

. . . .!
glad that you got it

and that I posted the article or do you think you would have discovered it without the article?
01-27-2019, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Wow! Congratulations. For what it's worth, you can add a square around the meteor strike and add a label in Flickr to highlight some part of the image. Open the Flickr image and put your cursor over the image. The cursor will turn into a magnifying glass. Move the cursor/magnifying glass near the part you want to highlight. Left click and drag and a square will appear. When the square surrounds the part you want to highlight release the mouse button. A box will appear below the square. You can type the description in that box. If the square around the highlighted object is the wrong size or place, you can change it by "grabbing" the box and moving or resizing. When you're satisfied with it, just click the "save" button. Now when someone hovers their cursor over the object, the square and description will appear.

01-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Doesn't seem so dumb to me. What's the adage, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity?"
I like that! I also like, "The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get."

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
glad that you got it

and that I posted the article or do you think you would have discovered it without the article?
Funny story. The night of the Super Wolf Blood Moon, I was reviewing shots and saw the white flash. I dismissed it as malfunctioning pixels. In the following days, I saw news stories about the impact here and elsewhere, but I didn't put two and two together until last night.

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Wow! Congratulations. For what it's worth, you can add a square around the meteor strike and add a label in Flickr to highlight some part of the image. Open the Flickr image and put your cursor over the image. The cursor will turn into a magnifying glass. Move the cursor/magnifying glass near the part you want to highlight. Left click and drag and a square will appear. When the square surrounds the part you want to highlight release the mouse button. A box will appear below the square. You can type the description in that box. If the square around the highlighted object is the wrong size or place, you can change it by "grabbing" the box and moving or resizing. When you're satisfied with it, just click the "save" button. Now when someone hovers their cursor over the object, the square and description will appear.
Thanks for the tip!
01-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Good on you, John. Amazing chance shot.

You could also add a bunch of 'tags' to your Flickr image, to attract viewers and interest.
05-02-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #55
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Just found this from the AP [ published 4/30/19 ]

Space rock left big crater on moon during full lunar eclipse

it gives details of the impact

thought you folks might find it interesting