Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do you take pictures? Pre-poll, fishing for poll options.

For some reason this is the topic of the day..... maybe because it's -30ºC out.
In any case, I'm thinking of a poll. but, I don't know all the possible reasons for shooting images, I thought of these three, I thought before I launch the poll and see what you all think I'd ask for further poll categories... any suggestions?

1. An accurate portrayal of reality.
2. I don't shoot how it looks, I shoot how it feels.
3. A Raw file is important, not because of what it is and portrays, but because of what I can make with it.

01-13-2019, 09:58 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
None of 1,2,3. I take photographs of travel, vacation, hiking, because I like to remember and feel again the experience I had during travel and vacation in various places, and I came to use larger sensor initially because the of the low light capability, and later I enjoyed how much bokeh / subject pop it can do and potential for printing posters. For me RAW is only a way to correct exposure, wb and style in case I messed up with camera settings during the shot. it Not sure how that answer your post.
01-13-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
None of 1,2,3. I take photographs of travel, vacation, hiking, because I like to remember and feel again the experience I had during travel and vacation in various places, and I came to use larger sensor initially because the of the low light capability, and later I enjoyed how much bokeh / subject pop it can do and potential for printing posters. For me RAW is only a way to correct exposure, wb and style in case I messed up with camera settings during the shot. it Not sure how that answer your post.
That to long for a poll question. How about this.
4. I like to document my pleasurable experiences with hope so re- experiencing them to some degree in the future.

Adding that, I'm thinking I may have to let people pick more than one answer and provide "all of the above" or "none of the above" options. Although I would hope this pre-poll thread will eliminate "none of the above."

It would be nice if all participants have at least one to vote for.

Last edited by normhead; 01-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.
01-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
4. I like to document my pleasurable experiences with hope so re- experiencing them to some degree in the future.
yes, good shorter version.

01-13-2019, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hasn't this been done before?

i take photos of nature because I like to document the birds that come to my feeders, and the birds that migrate here in the winter. But mostly, I take photos because it relaxes me.
01-13-2019, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Hasn't this been done before?

i take photos of nature because I like to document the birds that come to my feeders, and the birds that migrate here in the winter. But mostly, I take photos because it relaxes me.
If it has, I missed it. But I'm happy to go do something else if it has.

5. I take photos as form or relaxation and meditation... hmmm. maybe leave out the meditation, it sounds so esoteric.
01-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To be able to recreate/ remember the moment I saw and how I saw it and also share it with others. And also a little bit of "wow I can get a lot of detail and sharpness with my crazy good Pentax gear" "

01-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What's the definition of an "accurate portrayal of reality"?

Photography largely ties in to self-education for me. For example, I've been interested in moths and other insects, so photographing different species for ID or to help understand various behaviors is a standard motivation. If I can do it in an interesting or unique way that draws interest from other people, all the better (the world needs more moth appreciators, and in general the overlooked bits of nature can't have enough spokespeople). This might loosely fall under the proposed #4.

Can polls allow the ticking of all the options that apply?
01-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
What's the definition of an "accurate portrayal of reality"?

Photography largely ties in to self-education for me. For example, I've been interested in moths and other insects, so photographing different species for ID or to help understand various behaviors is a standard motivation. If I can do it in an interesting or unique way that draws interest from other people, all the better (the world needs more moth appreciators, and in general the overlooked bits of nature can't have enough spokespeople). This might loosely fall under the proposed #4.

Can polls allow the ticking of all the options that apply?
I can control how many answers you can tick, so if I ended up with 8 poll questions I could allow folks to check 8 options.

What's the definition of an "accurate portrayal of reality"
As opposed to an "artistic representation of reality"

Or even "an abstract representation of nothing in particular."

6. I enjoy helping people appreciate elements of the natural world.
01-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- To create my vision of a scenery that I somehow react to and that is IMO worth to show an audience and remember myself.
- To give my creativity a home.
- To generate some income.
01-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If it has, I missed it. But I'm happy to go do something else if it has.

5. I take photos as form or relaxation and meditation... hmmm. maybe leave out the meditation, it sounds so esoteric.
You added the mediation, I didn't sy anything about mediation. LOL You can have one without the other, Norm.

As for it being done before, I assume you're bored if it's -38C at your place, I know I would be. Been there, done that, and never want to do it again either!
01-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Forum Member

“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.” — Aaron Siskind
This has always resonated with me...
01-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You added the mediation, I didn't sy anything about mediation. LOL You can have one without the other, Norm.

As for it being done before, I assume you're bored if it's -38C at your place, I know I would be. Been there, done that, and never want to do it again either!
I'm going to have to go out and feed my birds.... they need calories on days like this, but I'm not looking forward to it.
01-13-2019, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

To act as eyes for those who can't be with me. I started taking wildlife shots to share with my ill spouse, so she could see the neat things that i saw.
01-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
8. “Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.”

I think there are probably things incorporated in others, but it's a good quote.

Last edited by normhead; 01-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.