Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I take photos because the act of shooting takes me to seeing and being in places that stirs my mind, heart, and soul.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's good. I might use that, I generally try and steer clear of philosophical/religious constructs, but I assume everyone would get that phraseology.
FWIW, no philosophical or religious constructs were intended. Feel free to modify the gist of the idea as you see fit.

01-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I take photos because i need something to hang on my wall, I like that it is my own work, and in the cost of things i dont have to spend the money to buy the picture from someone else.

01-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always hope to make those photos of something that show it differently than others have taken it. To create a unique but real photo. And sometimes this happens and is a good feeling. Plus all of the other reasons too!
01-13-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the joy of creation

01-13-2019, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Taking a photo thoughtfully makes me feel more present in the moment. Then looking at the photo even years afterwards can take me intensely back into that moment.

But it only works if I take the photo thoughtfully.
01-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I take photos because i need something to hang on my wall, I like that it is my own work, and in the cost of things i dont have to spend the money to buy the picture from someone else.
I used to think that way, before I spend thousands on lenses and camera bodies.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I always hope to make those photos of something that show it differently than others have taken it. To create a unique but real photo. And sometimes this happens and is a good feeling. Plus all of the other reasons too!
A good feeling... hmm, How can I work endorphins into this?

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
the joy of creation
What number is that in the hymnal?

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Taking a photo thoughtfully makes me feel more present in the moment. Then looking at the photo even years afterwards can take me intensely back into that moment.

But it only works if I take the photo thoughtfully.
You guys are not making this any easier.... I was thinking 8 options.....
01-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I suspect my original reasons were probably "artistic and philosophical" now I take photos because I enjoy doing so.

01-13-2019, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do I take pictures?

Because I enjoy the process (or act) of taking pictures - using the tools (camera, lens, processor) to create the image I hoped to create.

In my case it is more about the taking than about the pictures. That’s why I have so much gear, especially the legacy gear.
01-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What number is that in the hymnal?
##1-6
01-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #40
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two different reasons. The original reason, which is still valid when applicable:

4. I like to document my pleasurable experiences with hope so re- experiencing them to some degree in the future.

And the second reason, which I found after I bought my first legacy primes. Nowadays most of my shooting falls into this category:

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Because I enjoy the process (or act) of taking pictures - using the tools (camera, lens, processor) to create the image I hoped to create.

In my case it is more about the taking than about the pictures. That’s why I have so much gear, especially the legacy gear.

There is also a third reason due to improved skills and gear, but I can still count the occasions with my finger, so this is kind of bubbling under reason

"10. To provide a service to an organization.", another one that never would have occurred to me.
01-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I used to think that way, before I spend thousands on lenses and camera bodies.

Have a larger wall? Have an idea of an image for a specific area in the house, but the picture locations natural lighting is not ideal to make it work? Need a particular print size, but will need to crop in order for it to work? Need the image to have fine details because the image will be view up close? Spending money on cameras, lenses, and accessories are all justified to get the right image for the wall.

01-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
But mostly, I take photos because it relaxes me
It's therapy,
Something different to force me to think about other things.
01-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #43
Pentaxian

From flickr images, I would say, for some people it is compulsive shooting (they have to press the shutter regardless).
01-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly I photograph family events such as travel, and my daughter's activities. When she was young my Pentax ME Super was still operational, but that stopped working, and became outdated by the early 2000s. I was too slow to upgrade. I started to get serious about upgrading when she was in high school sports, with Kodak digital cameras, and finally when I appreciated that was far too inadequate, I started investing in Pentax DSLRs when she was in college sports and I have kicked myself for not doing so earlier.

To a lesser degree I do wildlife.

Someday I'd like to take a trip around our area and just photograph old churches. Our second generation of ancestors who settled NE Iowa appeared to have strong faith. Or as a Catholic priest I serve on a nonprofit board with said, that architecture is unimportant and not a sign of their faith; they were trying to outdo the others. My best man from Florida 28-years ago was so enamored by the church in which I was married, he thought about getting remarried in a Catholic church. Someday I will take a weekend just to photograph churches in the area and record them in an album.
01-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #45
Banned

Since I stopped with social media I take less images (not so many anyway). I now think of will this images end up as a print? I have a good number of frames, size 30x40 cm and for those I make prints. Last year I made 5 prints. So unless it is something that might end up printed in a frame.....it is not worth for me to take an image at all. No work done on the image, just straight out of my smartphone (wich I just updated to a new high end model).