Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2020, 03:42 AM   #76
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dieselpunk Quote
something online to get flexible scheduling
YouTube can be a good source of information, but remember to view several on the same subject, to get a good cross section. As there is often multiple ways to achieve a similar result in photography.

07-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Any sentence with "gun" in it is likely to go that route.
I love to shoot birds, cats, children, and other animals.
07-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever you do avoid the 3-day, 4-day workshops where the host is going to try to ram down so much information down your throat that you will not be able to absorb it in the limited time frame. I'm not saying that these workshops are bad, you can obtain some valuable information, but they are better for "specialized" photography not for General photography knowledge. I started out taking a couple of B&W film photography at a local community college. When my interest grew I took the entire NYIP correspondence course in Professional Photography. That was back in the early 1990's ! Then in 2002 I went back to school to earn an AAS degree in Photography. The thing about brick and mortar schools is that you are way more motivated. Your assignments and Tests, also human interaction have a lot to do with that. There are so many of Life's distractions when it comes to Online schools that you might never finish. Nevertheless I took the correspondence course in "Digital Photography" at NYIP back in 2005, because I tought it might round out my education. It took me 2 years, but I can say that I learned more taking this course than any other, including the Brick and Mortar.
07-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #79
Veteran Member

B&W course in High School, also followed up at Wright College which was a bit more extensive. Then I signed up at NYIP and did their mail order course which was informative, much better than I actually anticipated.

07-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I did a year at Ryerson Politech in Toronto in 67. Learned way more in the year than I'll ever use, but it led to a 15 year career teaching high school photography, so in the end, it really paid off for me, even though I didn't work professionally.....
I was going to say, yes, long a go through school. And then I noticed you did yours when I was all of 1 year old. So maybe not that long ago after all!